Charging X-T30 Battery

JBrew

Hi, new owner of an X-T30 here! Been out of cameras for a while and just suffered with an iPhone. I'm in a better place now.

As an initial question, since I just took the camera out of the box last night, what charging options do we have for these special batteries? With the battery in the camera, can we use any USB port to energize the USB-C cable, or do we have to use that cheap feeling little charger that came with the camera? The manual doesn't say no, but it doesn't say yes either. The only mention besides the included charger is a computer's USB-C port. I'd be more daring but I just fried my noise cancelling earbuds by trying a 12V charger that had the exact same connector. Isn't this stuff supposed to be standardized?

Alternately, what are people using to charge the batteries outside the camera? Having more than one battery is rather pointless if you can only charge them in the camera.

I've looked over the forum and all I saw was a thread on aftermarket batteries, which was very helpful, but didn't answer my question on charging.

I use the FUJI charger that I've had for a while when charging the battery outside the camera.  But a lot of the time I charge my Fujis through the USB-C or micro USB port (depending on the camera) from whatever adapter I have plugged in.  I don't think that you can damage it with the standard 2.4A devices.

Chris

Keep in mind that when you charge the battery through the camera's USB port, that current is passing through the main board, so if there was indeed a source power mixup (or failure) as JBrew mentions, there is some some danger to the camera. For an abundance of caution, I always remove the batteries for charging. I'm just a big fan of risk mitigation. The visual of plugging my Fujifilm into a 12v cigarette lighter adapter is, well, just downright something I'd rather avoid.

I have both the original Fujifilm charger and an aftermarket set of charger/batteries. The batteries all perform equally, but I find the Fujifilm charger charges about three times faster.  This is about an hour-and-a-half for the Fujifilm to charge one battery, and about five hours for the aftermarket charger, although it charges two batteries at once. These times are all with stone dead batteries. And these batteries hold a full charge for a very long time, so I tend to charge all three batteries at my convenience, so I can leave all the chargers home when I go out to shoot.

Thanks, folks. Risk mitigation is a big part of my job and I guess it's been bleeding into other parts of my life. My poor wife.

I've come across something indicating that an external charger should have come with the camera? Mine didn't.

I found this charger at B&H from a simple net search. I'm guessing it is 120V AC? Does Fuji make a 12V version of this? I didn't see one though I haven't had time to read through all the stuff I've come across since there is stuff due here at work. This article seemed like it might be helpful when I get a chance to read it.

Later!

Apart from the original Fujifilm charger, the Nitecore FX1 is also well regarded. It has a small size and can charge two batteries simultaneously. I have one and I have no issues with it. Look here for instance. I would not use any of the cheap aftermarket chargers (without temperature metering). Cheers.

Ouch, that's unfortunate you didn't get the charger with the camera. Yes, all Fujifilm cameras come with an external charger. As far as I know, all the Fujifilm OEM external chargers in the US are supplied with 120VAC only. The model at B&H you linked is the same model supplied with my X-E3. It is indeed 120 VAC only. My aftermarket charger is USB powered, and comes with a 12V cigarette lighter adapter, as well as a 120VAC adapter. My preferred method of powering that charger is USB from my computer. Risk mitigation.   

2 hours ago, itchy shutter finger said:

Ouch, that's unfortunate you didn't get the charger with the camera. Yes, all Fujifilm cameras come with an external charger. As far as I know, all the Fujifilm OEM external chargers in the US are supplied with 120VAC only. The model at B&H you linked is the same model supplied with my X-E3. It is indeed 120 VAC only. My aftermarket charger is USB powered, and comes with a 12V cigarette lighter adapter, as well as a 120VAC adapter. My preferred method of powering that charger is USB from my computer. Risk mitigation.   

I'm going to write Fujifilm and see if that charger is supposed to come with the camera. If yes, I'm going to start by contacting the retailer. I'm not throwing any accusations but I know that accessories sometimes 'disappear'. In particular, used cars never come with floor mats. There are other things I've purchased that I later discovered were supposed to have included accessories...

You may want to check your box again, the X-T30 does NOT come with the older external charger that the older cameras had included, it does have an ac adapter and cable that you plug into the camera to charge the battery.

Li-ion battery NP-W126S

AC power adapter

Plug Adapter

USB cable

Shoulder strap

Body cap

Strap clip

Protective cover

Clip attaching tool

Owner's manual

Edited by jerryy

WOW! I stand corrected BIG TIME!

jerryy is absolutely right, and I apologize for the errant information. I will be more careful of any future assumptions.  

Furthermore, I checked the supplied accessories of a few other cameras, and the X-T30, X-T3, and X-PRO3 are all different in their charging accessories.

2 hours ago, jerryy said:

You may want to check your box again, the X-T30 does NOT come with the older external charger that the older cameras had included, it does have an ac adapter and cable that you plug into the camera to charge the battery.

Li-ion battery NP-W126S

AC power adapter

Plug Adapter

USB cable

Shoulder strap

Body cap

Strap clip

Protective cover

Clip attaching tool

Owner's manual

I guess it was a cost saving measure? I do have the AC power adapter that charges the battery in-camera, which I would prefer not to do. So, looks like it's back to good 'ol Amazon!

Thanks for the clarification!