Good afternoon from Cyprus

Akritas

Good afternoon my friends from Cyprus.

I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and thank everyone for the acceptance.

I am an avid amateur photographer. My subjects are street photography and landscape with a preference to long exposures for the latter.

Recently I have started taking an interest in the Fuji x series cameras (I own a couple of Nikons at the moment) and I’m thinking of investing in one for street photography since the size and capabilities I believe are ideal. Any suggestions from experienced Fuji users as far as lens and camera are concerned?

Many thanks in advance!

Akritas, I don't think any Fujifilm X camera fails your needs. If I were to shoot mostly street and landscape. I would select one of the rangefinder form factor bodies for its small size, and some prime lenses such as the 23 mm, 35 mm, or the 27 mm pancake lenses, again, for their small sizes. The X100x series have an extremely loyal following among street photographers, and of course lens selection doesn't happen there. On interchangeable lens bodies, the zoom lenses are usable for these purposes, but not quite as small.

To make a good selection, I think you need to define some selection criteria, such as:

1. do you prefer fixed or interchangeable lens? 
  2. do you wish to shoot much video? (Then you need the higher power of the X-T3, X-T30, or the X-Pro3)
  3. do you prefer a rangefinder shape or an SLR shape?
  4. do you need what I call "Pro Features", which are weathersealing and dual card slots? (Then you need the X-T3, X-Pro3 or the X-H1)
  5. what level of mobility do you need for your LCD screen? (The X-E3 screen is fixed and the X-Pro3 screen well, disappears, others articulate)
  6. what do you just simply like? 
  7. do you have budget constraints?

The grand-daddies of high-performance Fujifilm X bodies right now are the X-T3 in SLR form factor, and the X-Pro3 in the rangefinder form factor. My personal recent choice was on the lower end because I shoot no video, and as an amateur, if the weather gets too bad, I take it indoors. The surprising thing to me is the fact that I feel like I gave up nothing in image quality, camera/lens quality, or ease of operation at the lower end of the range. I bought an X-E3, and now that I've used the system for a while I can say with certainty that if I had to replace it today with an unlimited budget, I would choose the X-E3 again, maybe in black this time instead of silver.

I, too, migrated from Nikon, albeit film, and I don't miss it a bit. I can customize my Fujifilm to operate like the familiar Nikon, but in a system about a third the weight and size.

Good luck on your selection, and I hope you come to enjoy photography with your Fujifilm gear as much as I do.

Thank you both for the welcome!

@itchy shutter finger thank you so much also for the induction course above. 

I have to say I was not aware of the X100F and now that I do I have instantly fallen in love with it!

The reason I have turned to Fuji is mostly the small size and of course the film emulations and advanced filters. I very rarely use zoom lenses and I favor 35mm primes. This is what I use when I shoot street so the 100F seems ideal!

One question if I may please....I shoot raw. Are the film emulations and advanced filters available in Adobe Lightroom or do I need to shoot in JPEG?

once again many thanks for all your kind assistance! 

Welcome to the forum @Akritas, I'm new here too, and I share with you, and with many other members this forum, the main attraction of the Fujifilm X-Series size and very attractive looks! 

TL;DR: any X-Series camera (including the older, significantly more affordable ones) + XF35mm is a great place to start. 

I am a hobbyist as well, and used to shoot Nikon (D90 then D7000). I "converted" to Fujifilm in 2015 when I bought the X-T1 with the 18-55mm kit lens. My love to the X system has since grown. And the bulky Nikon system is gone.

I carry my X-T1 camera everywhere, I sometimes annoy myself carrying it around without the finding the ability to use it. But it is one of those things: you use it once, you love it, and you carry it around everywhere because you don't want to miss an opportunity to use it.

I recently bought the X100F, because why not. Actually, for two reasons. The first one is that I wanted to experience the liberty of limiting my choice (rolling eyes). The second reason was the even smaller form factor. Let me explain. I love my X-T1, and my favorite lens is, hands down, the 35mm f/1.4. But since I have 4 other primes, its takes me sometime to decide which prime to take with me. So eliminating that choice by the fixed lens X100F is kinda liberating.

So, is buying the X100F worth it? Well, after using the X100F for a few days, I realized that I have an almost equivalent focal length XF lens, the 27mm pancake lens that I can use with my X-T1. So the question became, will an X-T1 + 27mm pancake lens be comparable in size with the X100F? The answer is YES. So I sold the X100F, and started using the X-T1 + 27mm pancake lens until the XF27mm failed, now I'm back to the game of wasting time deciding which of my primes to take with me lol. However, I find myself falling back on using the X-T1 + 35mm f/1.4 more than the rest of my lens due to its size, focal length, weight, and quality of images.

My XF primes are: 

1. 35mm f/1.4
  2. 56mm f/1.2
  3. 27mm f/2.8
  4. 90mm f/2.0
  5. 23mm f/1.4 

@Omar Alamoudi good morning and thanks for the info.

The reasons I like the 100F are the rangefinder looks plus the fact that you will have a powerful camera with a fixed prime lens so you will never have the option of wondering which prime lensto load up 😂😂😂

But the way you put things I might be better off buying the XT30 perhaps with the 27mm pancake? Hmmm 🤔 

Good evening Akritas,

I completely understand the appeal of the X100 series. I sold the X100F not because I don't like it, but because I wanted the newer X100V, which is about to be announced in the next few weeks. But I also want to upgrade my X-T1 to the upcoming X-T4, which is also about to be announced soon. So what I might end up doing is get the X-T4 and use it with the 27mm pancake if I want a small form factor. And if I couldn't turn the X100 fever off, I'll also sell one of my lenses and buy both the X-T4 and the X100V 😎 💸

But again, the XF27mm pancake appealed to me for the form factor. It didn't stand out to me too much in terms of joy of usage or quality of the produced images. I have to disclose that although I owned for a few years now, I only used it for a very short while before it failed 😕 , but I'm working on fixing it soon.

Since I like the 35mm focal length, if I were you, I would get a used X-Pro1 + the XF 35mm f/2.0 (I don't have this one, but its price is good, and it is weather sealed). Oh, and if you want to reduce the cost a little more, the XC 35 f/2.0 was just announced, and its price is half the XF 35mm f/2.0 but its optical performance is apparently identical to its XF sister (see link).

Cheers