Fujinon 18-55mm f2.8-4 vs 16-55mm f2.8 sharpness

Mr.Hertzberg

Hi! I have owned the Fuji 18-55 mm f 2.8-4 for a while, and now the upgrade itch got to me and I had to try out a Fuji 16-55 mm f2.8. After watching almost every review out there, I was really wondering if I would notice the difference in practical use. My first shots were disappointing in that regard, when just zooming in on my camera screen the pics looked very similar. Then I rigged up a tripod and did some more systematic comparisons - reviewing them on my computer. These screen shots from Capture One is very representative from what I found. I tried out various aperture settings and took many more pictures, but I believe these are basically telling the amount of difference in sharpness between the 18-55 and the 16-55. 

Focus was of course placed at the same spot. On the globe, it was on the A of Australia, on the car it was on the wheel. I noticed a difference in the bokeh on the globe-picture even if both lenses are set to f4 in that shot  (the bokeh ball from the lamp across the street is bigger with the 16-55). 

Anyway - hope this is useful for someone, and it would be interesting to hear other user experiences. 😃 My conclusion is that the 18-55 is very good, but if you want to crop your images or print them very big, the 16-55 definitely is sharper. 

Pictures were taken with my X-h1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Mr.Hertzberg