Need a little help from my Fuji friends.

Thunar93

Hi all

I need some help from fellow Fuji lovers!

Backstory:

Since I started working professionaly in the photo industry my personal work has gone to 0. So I quit doing professional assignments, but I am left with a Sony A7III and various lenses. My camera items are in excellent condition (yes I know it's a tool and it should be used), I am a little afraid to go out with them for my own personal work since I want to take it everywhere with me, but I just don't because of the price/cost of the body and lenses.I was planning to pick up my film photography again, since I had no time last year to develop etc (I was a hybrid shooter before), but can't really be bothered getting back into it. But the cheap body's, lenses and so nice. No need for worrying etc.

This is where Fuji hopefully comes in:

I was eying the new Fuji X-T4 to replace my A7III with. But then again, I would have to buy it new and have to be careful with the camera again. So I'm a bit guessing on which camera to buy. I would love to buy a used Fuji camera: X-T2, X-T20, X-T3 or X-T30 to use along with my Sony. I would tape the logo's up since I want to be as low profile as possible like with my film cameras.

I owned the Fuji X-T2 in 2017, was a nice camera but sold it due to I wasn't able to use the focus tracking well enough and to be fair it was my own fault probably. 
Also had a few arguments that led me away from Fujifilm: focus speed, IBIS, battery life, weather sealing... but all these things I didn't have when I was shooting film.. got so spoiled by the Sony.

I'd use the 23mm f2 for compactness.

Got two thoughts left:

• I had set my mind on the X-T30 but I never held it or saw the EVF. Is it a lot smaller then the X-T3?
  • If I get a Fuji X again along my Sony - I see no use case anymore for the Sony. (I'll probably use Fuji more since I don't have to worry about it getting roughed up)
    Then I might want the X-T3 anyways, for when I need the Sony like performance. Owning two digital systems seem cumbersome as you can only use one camera and digital camera's age and loose too much value over time not using it.

Feel free to share advice, thoughts, .. Maybe you had a similar process going on for yourself.

Thanks!

You make a good point that there are so many features in new camera designs that we never had in the film world. One really needs to determine which of those features, if any, really hold value for the buyer. 

I entered the Fujifilm world this past September, and I think my selection process served me well. I chose to intentionally ignore comparisons of cameras. Realizing that every camera body is designed for specific price points, purposes. and preferences, comparing them made no sense to me. Instead, I made a list of criteria important to me, and how I would use the camera. My background is also film, so I was looking for a minimal set of features. This happened to lead me to Fujifilm's lower cost options, and I chose the X-E3 over the X-T20 because I'm right-eye-dominant, and I was attracted to the rangefinder form-factor and button layout. I can honestly say that after four months, I have no desire for any other camera body. The X-E3 is perfectly adequate for me. In fact, I consider any other additional feature a negative. For example, I read many comments asking for the articulating screen; I don't want this on the X-E3; other models have this. I like the minimalist feature set and its ergonomic presentation.

The point is I am happy because I matched my needs and purposes to the camera. If you buy based on comparisons, I'm afraid that's running down a rabbit hole because not every camera has everything, such as performance level, video capability, pro features (weathersealing and dual card slots), and form factor.

I think the EVF only, such as the X-T30, is beyond adequate, and I think it's excellent. I know there are other viewfinders that others praise highly, but that info doesn't mean the EVF's only aren't excellent. I would think the X-T3 indeed has a sweeter viewfinder than the X-T30, but I don't think the X-T30 is at all a poor EVF. If it is anything like the X-E3 EVF, I would be quite happy with it.

Autofocus performance is difficult for me to comment on because I don't know what performance level you need, nor can I quantify the autofocus performance levels of the various models. Your comment about settings is highly valid. I can say the maze of settings affecting autofocus on my X-E3 dramatically affect the performance. But I will say that after tweaking settings based on some internet comments and other sources, my autofocus performance is beyond adequate. I can also say that XF lenses seem slightly faster to me than XC lenses, but the XC lenses are not problematically slow.

I guess I'm lucky that the items I selected objectively and systematically come in at the lower end of the price range. I literally consider all of my gear expendable because of this. I use common sense caution with my gear while out in the field, but I do not restrict my activities to protect it. I am an amateur, and I'm purely just having fun in my retirement. I do believe if I opted for higher end pro-model bodies and red badge lenses, I wouldn't be so courageous, and therefore not so creative with my photography.