Recommended Flashes

DylanH

Hi forum, I'm new to this forum but not new to photography.

I'm looking for a good x-t20 flash, Last one broke but it was a cheapo make.

Budget below $600, Want something to last me a while and be reliable.

Make does not matter, as long as the flash is durable and i can count on it to function when required to.

Thanks very much.

• 2 months later...

I would look at flash purchases based on needs, amount of use and cost. I use Godox flashes. I have the small TT350F which is compact, easily fits in my camera bag. I also have 2 TT685F flashes. I purchased the XProF remote trigger which makes this set up an inexpensive but complete flash solution for my Fuji cameras. I had a Nissin flash but I found it was going to be too expensive to build a system for my needs. The Godox set up has prove to be very reliable so far.

(From an older inquiry I responded to here)

I bought the pair listed below.

Both are made by Godox but are rebranded house brands from Adorama.

B&H also has Godox rebranded house brands though I don’t know their name for it.

The reason I went with Godox is they are inexpensive and rated very high on multiple websites. 

I first bought the pair as Godox branded but the warranty was a joke. The flash and off camera support both had a card insert explaining the warranty. (Nothing on the Godox box’s or Godox website say anything about a warranty.) The warranty card stipulated that the seller must include signed documentation with the claim and all that is covered is the electrical board, so I returned both.

B&H and Adorama have warranties that stand behind the house brand (Godox) flashes and support with language that is “normal” and both in my experience (and reviews) are honest upstanding sellers.

Got the pair for $124.95 delivered from Adorama and am very happy with them.

The off camera support R2 Pro (XPro-F) was well with the $30 so the flash can be moved away from the lens. 

I prefer using power (AA batteries) over rechargeable that’s easily available/replaceable but to each their own.

happy shooting!

ps. I forgot to say the one downside to Godox is their antiquated firmware update. Their new flashes now support Apples OS (check their website for models) but last I looked all the older flashes can only be firmware updated with a PC and the process is very 1990’s. My flashes came updated from Adorama with the newer firmware so for the moment, it’s not a problem.

Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 Flash With Integrated R2 Radio Transceiver - Fuji (TT685F)

Flashpoint R2 Pro 2.4GHz Transmitter for Fuji (XPro-F)

It all depends on what you want and need, a cheap option with TTL is the Nissin i-40 as mentioned above if you use manual flash (which I would recommend) Youngnuo is a very affordable option also offering remote triggers for off camera use.  I have the nissin i-40 whish is easy to use and offers TTL and a couple of Youngnuo Flashes with remote triggers.