Any Recommendations?

ok, here we go.

I´m going to chicago end november for a 10 days visit. it is basically a business trip, but i also want to take a fuji setup with me to explore the city. 

First i´m not shure what lenses to take with me. i have to decide between the xf16-55/2.8 or the combination of the xf23mm and 12mm zeiss. i think i wont need a tele and want to keep the setup small and light. for the camera i tend to my x-t1 but could also go for my x-e2...

ok, now comes the hard part... because on a business trip i have to bring my company laptop, i have two laptops to carry around. the company laptop is a standard 13 inch model, but i don´t want to leave my MBPr 13 at home, because this is my main photography machine. 

so i´m searching for a bag or case or whatever that can hold my camera setup, my two laptops, some accessories like ext hdd, a few filters... and all should be in a hand luggage size suitable for planes. all non-sensitive gear and of course clothing goes to the check-in luggage. 

so any recommendations fur such a bag? would be nice to have a backpack so i could use it for photography tours in chicago as well...

thanks for any help in advance,

patrick

p.s.: if someone from that area has some nice photspots to share, i´d be glad to read them here:)

I would go with the Billingham 305, the front zipper pocket is wide enough to accommodate the two laptops, the main compartment can be shared between your camera gear and day to day needs or small travel things or even put a smaller bag that for touring th city with just your camera gear.

The issue with the billingham 305, it's still big, even when empty and can be a bit cumbersome to use when it doesn't have much inside.

Thinktank also have a Shapeshifter backpack, it's build for a bulky 17" laptop, it should be fine with your 2 13" ones. There is plenty enough room for camera gear and you can compress it down to 3inches when gear is removed.

All in all, that backpack is really nice, but do ask for the laptop part depth as I think it should be ok for about 2" thick laptop but I am not certain.

It's a bit cheaper than the billingham too and I am considering it heavily for when I need to travel unhindred by a messenger bag but still carry my gear and a laptop with me.

And I think Lowepro might offer similar bags at relatively cheaper prices, but I do not know their product well enough to offer advices/comments.

thanks for the tip with the billingham, i have a thinktank retrospective 40 with approx. the same size. its a nice bag, but if it is fully loaded it isn´t nice to carry anymore, i think this also applies for the billingham. the shapeshifter is something i need to take a closer look:) thanks!

the Jill.E Jack Large (not the small) Messenger, is very large indeed ( which is why I like and many dislike it) stylish ( won’t make you look weird in your business attire but it won’t attract too much attention either looking like a piece of normal luggage) and can easily take two laptops (including some clothes a monopod and many other things).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651200-REG/Jill_E_Designs_144744_Jack_Messenger_Camera_Bag.html

the Jill.E Jack Large (not the small) Messenger, is very large indeed ( which is why I like and many dislike it) stylish ( won’t make you look weird in your business attire but it won’t attract too much attention either looking like a piece of normal luggage) and can easily take two laptops (including some clothes a monopod and many other things).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651200-REG/Jill_E_Designs_144744_Jack_Messenger_Camera_Bag.html

looks really nice. do you think i can fit 2 laptops inside, this is my main problem with most bags...

it very much depends how thick your laptops are.

If you have two MacBook Air certainly. I would also venture saying that it would even take a “ normal” laptop and a MacBook air but I am not sure it would take two very old and thick laptop.

It might.

However this bag has in fact two compartments one is zipped ( and can contain two MacBook Air) and the other one has a zip at the bottom and velcro at the top ( can be used to slide onto the handle of a rolling cabin case or trolley) where you could put the second laptop

Unfortunately these bags aren’t everywhere to be found so you can’t just walk in a shop and check it out. 

I am very happy with this bag anyway.

• 3 months later...

What if you went with a compact bag, something like a thinktank mirrorless mover, and put that in a bigger 'normal' bag when you're traveling?

That way you can leave all your laptops and unnecessary gear in the hotel room and just bring out the mover when shooting, and when you're traveling on planes etc. everything is in one backpack or roller. That's my personal setup for trips exactly like yours.