bergat

Pixel Shift

Pixel Shift?  Don't even know what that is and I've been shooting for 36 years.  All I know is I shoot pretty pictures.  LOL. Sorry can't be of more assistance.

I have not heard about any plans. Fuji is apparently planning it for GFX100.

IMO, it is not a very useful feature. I have several cameras with pixel shift and have never used it but for testing it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

pixel shift would be nice to be able to get higher resolution files but from what i've read the x-trans pixel pattern makes it harder to achieve this compared to the bayer arrangement...

the GFX100 i think does have pixel shift but i'm not sure whether it's bayer or x-trans

Posted (edited)

pixel shift results are AMAZING, but seems to be very processor intensive, as does the X-Trans sensor.  I know I've read articles that state this, but I'm taking a guess when I say that perhaps pixel shift with X-Trans together would require a processor newer than the X-Processor4?  Or perhaps some aggressive firmware that slows down the camera to keep heat down?  Even though it's the processor of the X-T3, it's still new enough that they use it in the X-T4.

EDIT: and I agree with @andrei89, that it would very likely require a wider shift to cover the pixel possibilities.  Looking at the Wiki entry, I would guess that the 1/2 pixel shift needed for a minimal pixel shift would require 3 pixels.  So could theoretically require 6x the light that Bayer requires.  Or 6x of some other resource... maybe 3x the light, but only 1/2 of the pixel increase of other cameras.

- just my 2cents

Edited by matsonfamily

If you want higher res, shoot a vertical pano. Just a suggestion as I've done this with my X-T1 for sh*ts and giggles and the results are amazing.

J

@jlmphotos, the xt1_manual in Specifications (pg126) states 4896x3264 (16MP) for single images, and 2160*9600 (21MP) for panorama.  That means the camera can improve it's resolution 31%, and you have the problem of varying perspective (do you raise and lower your tripod?  only works well for very close shots), as all panoramas have.  This is hardly a substitute for in-camera pixel shift (although pixel shift has the problem of increased exposure resulting in motion).  If you're referring to taking separate images and then using an editor to join them, that is quite a lot of extra work, especially for someone who isn't familiar with basic tools.  Image editors are far from intuitive.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:38 PM, jlmphotos said:

If you want higher res, shoot a vertical pano. Just a suggestion as I've done this with my X-T1 for sh*ts and giggles and the results are amazing.

J