X100T Firmware Update

Hopefully they will upgrade x100t with the same AF algorithms as the 4.0 version of the x-t1

At last week’s press conference Fuji wouldn’t commit to that; the chances of the X100T getting the new AF functionality are slimmer than those for the X-E2.

Andreas did put the question but they way I understand the answer this would be a low priority for Fuji, an update for the X-E2 being more likely.

Interesting on how the door swings :-).. I still have my X100 and the firmware updates gave me a new/usable camera in a much broader usage space. I'm very please with Fuji's response to the X100 (but had to weather SAB).

Now I'm considering an update and have a X100T sitting in a popular retailer's outbox but I've decided to wait to see if Fuji will continue to support the X100T as they have their other lines. It sounds to me like they are moving the X100T to the back burner by delaying any firmware updates. To me the AF can't be good enough and that includes face detection, as there are others who use this camera. For me, I would like the focus peaking, but I understand that the improved EVF refresh rate and resolution has made the peaking more difficult to observe (in the EVF).

'll be watching to see whether Fuji's decisions are to keep the X100 series as part of the lineup or if this is the cycle where they will move on from the niche entry.

So the rumor of a firmware update can be the harbinger of longevity in the family or the lack of, an invitation to wait and see.

JarredSpec, I am partly with you there.

AF-C and the X100T. Not for me either.

But what does need an improvement is the really, really slow AF in low light and close distance. That is where the firmware improvement would shine. Other than that the AF is more than enough even for fast action shots.

One just needs to learn the camera and how it behaves and you can even get shots of birds in full flight such as I did in Marrakesh. (You can see that one on my flickr account)

I think the main benefits to the upgrade for X100T users (at least in the way I use mine), would be no longer needing the macro button to tell the camera to focus on close subjects, and the kind of merging of the "multi" and "area" focusing modes.  I like the control of being able to choose the focus point specifically, but in faster situations, I would like the camera to help me out a bit.  The "multi" setting is definitely not as fast AF as the "area" setting in my experience, I assume because the camera not only has to focus, but also evaluate and choose what to focus on in the first place.  And it doesn't always choose the proper subject, so that doesn't always work very well for me.  Being able to set up a range of AF points and then letting the camera choose or follow subject within that more specific area is a real sweet spot.  This is much closer to how my film SLR's worked before I switched to digital, so it makes more sense to me.  It takes the benefits of the human choices and merges them with the power of the camera's choices to make focus times even faster.  I don't have many complaints as to AF time aside from what Stockografie mentioned above.  For me, its more about being able to use the fast AF that this camera already has, but not being limited to a single AF point, and having to move it for possibly every frame.

I am considering buying a FujiFilm X100T. Before I buy I would like to see a number of improvements such as in the next firmware Ver. 4.00 for the FujiFilm X-T1:

- Auto Macro mode

- Eye Detection AF

- Improvement AF in low light and on low-contrast subjects

I am truly disappointed in the lack of updates for the x100 series. I would love to have an x100/s/t and an interchangeable with a shared experience on both.

I was disappointed when I found out there would be no updates for the x100s as I would have liked to print out a set of pictures taken with both my x-T1 and x100s with classic chrome for a uniform look - in my mind, at least give classic chrome though a lightroom profile. I finally got over my disappointment with the understanding that continued updates of older products would cannibalize sales of the latest version (this understanding is probably wrong too :))

I have been thinking of getting an x100t since the button placement is more consistent with the x-T1 but have now learned my lesson not to buy it until I am totally happy with the existing features. I can honestly say that if Fuji announced some of the AF improvements of the x-T10/x-T1 for the x100T I would pick one up in an instant. I am wondering if the lack of motivation to update the X100T firmware is a statement of weakness in its sales and greater focus on the interchangeable lens models. It would be a shame if the T ends up being the last of the x100 series.

Which leads me to the question - should I upgrade my x100s to an x100t or just get the xf23mm and an x-T10? While I prefer the form factor of the x100t, my gutt tells me I will retain more value from an x-t10/xf 23mm combo when a new camera comes out. I will also be able to use all my Fuji lenses on two bodies instead of one.

I have also have an x100s and a x-t1. My opinion is that they perfectly compliment each other. If you get the x-t10/23mm I'm sure you're going to miss your x100s. I decided not to upgrade to the x100t because it didn't offer any real big difference. Don't get the x100t only because you want chrome and the little viewfinder. It's not worth the upgrade. I recommend treating you x100s as a "monochrome" camera and your x-t1 as the workhorse!

But will that new autofocus firmware works on the ovf ??

I think that's probably the #1 reason why we won't see this upgrade in the near term (I'm remaining hopeful that we will indeed get it someday  :rolleyes: ).  I'd be happy with just the EFV being upgraded for now, as I tend towards that mode more often, but it wouldn't make sense to release a FW like that, only upgrading essentially half the camera's functionality.

Fuji vs Fuji did a pretty great article about the logistics of how Fuji could upgrade both EVF and OVF to add this new AF technology, as well as unify the AF experience between the 2, whereas now, they are somewhat different.  You can read it here:  http://www.fujivsfuji.com/fuji-views/the-new-autofocus-system-and-the-x100t

One just needs to learn the camera and how it behaves and you can even get shots of birds in full flight such as I did in Marrakesh. (You can see that one on my flickr account)

Surely this is the truest statement for any camera. When I first got an X-Pro 1 they told me it was useless using it for action shots. So of course I had to prove that wrong.

Granted, it was never going to match a 1Dx or D4, but it was more than adequate for most scenes involving movement once you understand how the focusing worked.

And this is where I am with the 100T - fresh out of the box, ans time to start learning 'how it works'...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it needs the new focus system to be honest. I've never been wanting for the sort of focus they're putting in the new X-T1 update in my X100T, shit I don't think I've even used AF-C in my X100T.

Why would you say that?

Since when is having more features and options under your disposal for free a bad thing?

I own both X-T1 and the X100T, the T being the newer camera should totally get the update.

I hardly use af-c on my T as well, not because I don't want to but it totally sucks balls and failed the very few times I try...