How to determine correct exposure in priority mode

AlexT

Hi, I'm new to Fuji and I just got an XT-2 and are learning to use it. 

In full manual mode I can tell if my photo will be correctly exposed using the exposure indicator on the left, however when using aperture priority or shutter speed priority modes, the exposure indicator switches to showing whatever exposure compensation setting I may have. Other than watching out for the Aperture setting turning red, I have found no way to know if my picture will be correctly exposed in this modes.

Is there any way to know? The ideal thing to me would be to have the exposure indicator functioning as it does in manual mode. Is there any setting to configure this? Or, how can you know if your picture will be correctly exposed when in priority modes?

Thanks for your help!

I think you're taking something that's totally simple and complicating it.

In auto-exposure,  you use the EC dial to set where you want the exposure metering to be. Typically, that'll be center. The camera will then set the exposure to produce that result.

Therefore, what you see in the meter is what you should get in the picture. Whether it's manual or auto-exposure makes no difference. In Manual exposure you're turning the dials to put the meter where you want it, and in auto-exposure the camera is doing that.

I will add, though, that with Fuji cameras, if the auto-exposure system cannot achieve the desired exposure (usually because it can't open the lens any wider), that will not show up on the meter. Instead it shows up as the calculated exposure numbers in the viewfinder appearing in red. There's a similar problem with manual exposure used with auto-ISO.

And a pedantic note: there's no such thing as "correct exposure." There's only the camera's guess at what would be a usable exposure. It's up to you, the photographer, to decide if the camera might be misjudging the scene -- or perhaps you want a different effect.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Doug, thinking of it like this has been particularly useful:

Therefore, what you see in the meter is what you should get in the picture. Whether it's manual or auto-exposure makes no difference. In Manual exposure you're turning the dials to put the meter where you want it, and in auto-exposure the camera is doing that.

Having used the camera for a couple of weeks now, it doesn't bother me anymore and I see how it works. I would still prefer to know by how much the camera is evaluating the scene to be underexposed as the red numbers don't give an indication as to how far off you are. I'll get used to it.