MY own favorite photo backpack

Hi all,

I have read with interest many threads in this section about photo bags, each one fancier than the next.

Well, I'm certainly not lacking interest in those specialized photo bags (for my Nikon gear, I own a large, wonderful Kiboko and a smaller Manfrotto), but as regards my Fuji kit, it sort of felt natural for me to stay away from those great products that scream "photo bag! steal me!", and rather select a nondescript, unobtrusive, everyday bag.

Honestly? OK, I have to admit that I first fell for one of those Billingham trendy things, but strangely enough, considering the praise they usually receive, I was not at all convinced by the quality, the way the various components adjusted, and the like. So, the Billingham was promptly discarded and now sits untouched in a closet in the garage.

Then, I went all the way along Nondescript Avenue and simply bought an Eastpak backpack, in leather (two, in fact: a black one, a light tan one), and then a cloth Timberland one, slightly smaller (photos below are not to size). All of those are great, do a wonderful job of containing the body in the front pocket and the lenses and other small accessories in the main pocket. The only thing to keep in mind is that you have to procure soft leather pouches for your lenses, so they don't rub and scratch against one another while in the backpack's main compartment. Those can be obtained very inexpensively on eBay from Chinese vendors. Beware, though: there are good ones, and bad, ugfly ones.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Any of those backpacks hold very comfortably a 16/1.4, a 23/1.4, a 35/1.4, a 56/1.2 and a 90/2, not to mention a 55~200 zoom when needed, and there is still plenty of extra room for a bottle of water, a sandwich, a sweater or windbreaker... not to mention the back pocket which is perfect for a book, a Kindle, an iPad or even a notebook computer.

The backpacks are light, very discrete, they don't advertise their contents, they have been well used by now and therefore they look suitably worn (and they seem quite durable), and they are, in my opinion, by far the best option to carry a light mirrorless kit.

The only thing they're missing is the possibility to attach a tripod, but for when I want this, I have bought two Billingham leather straps which I can jury-rig to the shoulder straps of any backpack, so as to secure the tripod horizontally under the backpack. It's worked just fine a couple of times so far.

I hope this feedback can help others who might be interested in the "non-photo bag" option.

The only drawback I can see is limited protection against rain (even though that remains to be tested, maybe it isn't so bad), but here again one can improvise, either with a plastic trash bag, or with the rain cover from a genuine photo bag: the one that comes with my Manfrotto backpack will do just fine.