Fujifilm considering to make an XF 60mm Mark II, once they completed the roadmap! (New Source)

Patrick FR

• 5 months later...

At this point, please allow me a question and some speculation.

How would you feel if Fuji made instead a 70mm f/2.4 (or even f/2) macro, with 1:1 capability and weather sealing?

My reasoning is that, FoV for the 105mm equivalent (in 135 terms) is and always was quite popular. There is a number of macro lenses in the DSLR world at this focal length and even more portrait lenses. Personally I'd admit I rather prefer this focal length over 85-90mm. 

Such a lens would probably be more expensive than the present 60mm, but, OTOH, Fuji needs to upgrade it anyway (a faster AF motor being one consideration, but also WS being a welcome feature for many)

Since the XF60 is not a lens for action shots, it has a "normal" AF speed. Not too fast, not too slow. Firmware updates for some cameras made it even faster (or "a bit faster", whatever).

So, AF speed is more than arguable consideration for possible upgrade.

Technically, this lens has ALG focusing system, when all lens groups are moving while focusing. It's noted in Fuji 2015 catalogue, at least. All system is driven by a "high-torque DC coreless" motor. To move the significant mass (many of lense elements), the motor must be powerful enough. Done. Sadly, it eats battery a lot.  But replacing it (aside of other aspects) by more powerful motor means the battery will be depleted faster. You still want more motor power?

I really like the mark 1.

I expect Fuji to replace all mark 1 lenses with WR versions once the road map is complete.

However I hope these are not all slower, I'd prefer they released like for like with the newer tech improvements in the more modern lenses, and retiring version 1 lenses; rather than having two lenses at every focal length where you potentially have to chose between speed and WR.

as I have the 60mm F/2.4 macro (which I like) I am very unlikely to buy rev 2 of this lens, however the 56 F/1.2 is in my 'Wish list', if rev 2 was released at F/2, it would be of a lot less interest as it would be very close to the 60mm in both focal length and light gathering.

I am pretty happy with the lenses I use, the 18 F/2, 35 F/1.4 and 60 F/2.4 (the original lenses)

Although I have other lenses, I generally find I can use the manual zoom (at the end of my legs) to frame a shot correctly, and those 3 are the ones i carry with me

Edited by Tikcus

Since i don't use macro to often I bought on Amazon a 10mm and 16mm set of extensions for about @25.00 (?) and when needed, they work GREAT!  They do not have any glass, so image quality is not affected, at least to my eyes.

Edited by jlmphotos

But replacing it (aside of other aspects) by more powerful motor means the battery will be depleted faster. You still want more motor power?

If this was directed at my comment (which is curious, because my whole point was entirely different, but anyway...): no, I don't mind about focusing speed that much. After all, body improvements already made older lenses focus faster anyway. And a macro lens will never be a speed demon in any case.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd better have small, light, cheap, WR and silver 55/2 or something like that for portraits.W/o macro, OK ;) I don't have money for 56/1.2 and it's too bulky for walkaround 

Fuji, pleeease!   :(

A mk2 with better magnification and AF speed would be a welcome. As it is, I love the lens.

A new design may see better focusing algorithm when more powerful and efficient motor designs are employed.

Normally, newer powerful designs doesn't necessarily mean higher power consumption. It's usually the other way around as we move towards a greener future.

I'd better have small, light, cheap, WR and silver 55/2 or something like that for portraits.W/o macro, OK ;) I don't have money for 56/1.2 and it's too bulky for walkaround 

Fuji, pleeease!   :(

Have you considered some legacy lenses ? The only down side is the manual focusing, but that aside, they are relatively small, cheap and have what you want as field of view.

Or just get the XF 60, it's small enough, AF is fast enough for streets and not that expensive at all.

Where's my 300/2.8 OIS?!

Forget that...Where's my 400mm f/2.8 R OIS WR

We now know the 2x Teleconverter is coming this summer. And hopefully the rumors are all true about the 200mm f/2 lens. I'm already drooling wanting that to be released.

If the X-T2 is what it's sounding like could be (with 10-14fps and focusing close to the flagship DSLR's of the two big boys) my wallet will be very light for about a month or so!

Czech