X-T30 showing incorrect exposure in Shutter priority

vgru

It seems that the EVF (and LCD) live preview always shows the target (selected) exposure value, even if the shutter/ISO/aperture settings cannot achieve the correct exposure.

For example, the attached image shows me taking a picture using X-T30, of a dimly lit room in the evening, with a kit lens at auto aperture (chosen as f/3.5 by the camera), ISO set to 100, and shutter set to 4000. The exposure dial is set to +2.0. Although it's obvious that this image will be completely black when taken, the LCD shows a slightly overexposed image (corresponding to the EV wheel setting) and the EV indicator shows +2.0. Taking the shot will result in a completely black picture. In practice, this can be very misleading because it shows the exposure which will not be achieved and it's easy to ruin a shot accidentally.

Shooting in manual doesn't have this issue, i.e. as soon as I select this same f/3.5 aperture manually, the preview shows the correct exposure (completely black). From that point on the preview reacts to changes in ISO and SS.

I've used other MLCs (Sony a6000 and Lumix GM1), and neither of them behaved this way. I also had a Nikon DSLR which would at least show the numerical EV value inside the OVF, so you would immediately see how far off the target exposure the settings are.

Even the histogram shows the exposure of the live preview, instead of the actual exposure of the final photo, so there isn't a single indicator on the EVF which indicates how far from the correct exposure the resulting image will be.

Is there a possibility to change this behavior anyhow, or perhaps least send a feature request somewhere to perhaps consider it for a future firmware release?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just posted a question very similar to yours. I don't know the answer yet, but I can tell that when in priority mode, what you are seeing on the exposure indicator is whatever you have set in the exposure compensation dial (try adjusting it and you will see how it moves to exactly the value you have selected in the dial, whatever the scene and other settings may be). In manual mode this changes to indicate the actual exposure. I am hoping there's a way to getting that same functionality in priority mode.

Hope this helps clarify...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with cbimages' comment about the unsuitable aperture. Additionally, the 1/4000 shutter speed and ISO 100 seem unsuitable to me for a low light situation. As a starting point, I would try something like ISO 1600 and a shutter speed of 1/60 in order to get the aperture into the lens' serviceable range, then adjust from there.

• 1 month later...

The poster is correct it seems the XT-1, 2 and 3 will not show the correct exposure in the LCD/EVF in shutter mode. Histogram has the same problem. Even if you bump the exposure to 1/4000 sec in a dark room the screen will still show a bright image with a normally exposed histogram. I thought this was supposed to be a wysiwyg screen/finder like the Sony’s in shutter mode.

anyone know why Fujifilm did this or have a work around.

Gary L. product photographer and long time Canon DSLR user new to Fuji.

Here is a quick fix for you: push the disp button on the back.

You should get the back screen changing from 'live view' to a screen with the various settings displayed, one of which may be the actual frame you will get when the shutter is released. I wrote may because what appears on that screen is determined by you when you set up the camera. That frame will be correctly exposed for the setting you have chosen, in this discussion's case, it will be black.

Quite likely you have the live view enabled as well as the setting 'take photo even without a lens attached' turned on.

Look closely at the information you have on the screen. The aperture setting will be in red which means the camera is telling you the exposure is so bad it does not want to take the photo, but will if you force it.

Edited by jerryy
stranded preposition