Microphone for video - Experiences or recommendations?

jeremyclarke

I know Fuji cameras are bad at video and you need to be really careful to get anything worth looking at (use a tripod to avoid shake-related jaggies, avoid moiré-inducing textures, use MF to avoid focus hesitation), but I have some things I want to record and so far the ability to use my f/1.4 primes means my X-T10 is still probably the best way to get it done.

Assuming I can record something that looks good, I still need to figure out audio, as the internal mic is obviously just okay, and if my 35mm f/1.4 is ever in AF mode the noise it makes re-adjusting focus is really really loud. 

So what will I need to use an external mic with the X-T10? I know the mic jack is 2.5mm rather than the more common 3.5mm. Has anyone gotten an adapter to work for it? When I look at adapters on Amazon a lot of them specifically mention that the microphone won't work but they are talking about headphone+mic "headsets" rather than e.g. a small lavalier mic plugged in (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107121-2-5mm-Adaptor-Plated/dp/B005KP2AJY/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441477003&sr=1-7&keywords=2.5mm+3.5mm+microphone ). 

Anyone have an adapter they bought that they know works with Fuji cameras?

In terms of the mic itself I'm leaning towards this Audio Technica lavalier mic because it's pretty cheap, has a long cord and will also work with my iPhone if I want to record sepearately and sync up later. 

http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATR3350IS-Lavalier-Microphone-Smartphones/dp/B00HZA6EJO/ref=pd_cp_267_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0GB9Z66AP2R02AWFTF07

Anyone know a reason why this wouldn't work with my X-T10+an adapter? Advice for a better setup to use with X-T10?

Thanks for any advice about what I should buy, or also any general advice about audio recording on Fuji cameras. 

I've tried Rode Stereo Mic on the X-T1 and it works fine using a 3.5 --> 2.5mm adapter.

The ATR3350IS Lavalier mic should work fine on your X-T10 without the smartphone adapter. You will still need the 3.5-->2.5 adapter.

The smartphone adapter is for smartphone use where the jacks are different to cater for both mic-in and headphones-out (monitoring). The X-T10 2.5mm ports does not cater for headphone monitoring. If you look at the standard stereo jack against the smartphone 3.5mm jack, you will notice that there are only 3 segments instead of 4 for the smartphone. This is where they differ, an additional contact point for the mic.

Unless you plan to use the lavalier with a smartphone also, you may also purchase the same model without the smartphone adapter but seeing that there's an offer on this model, it's ok to buy.

Good luck.

I've tried Rode Stereo Mic on the X-T1 and it works fine using a 3.5 --> 2.5mm adapter.

The ATR3350IS Lavalier mic should work fine on your X-T10 without the smartphone adapter. You will still need the 3.5-->2.5 adapter.

So you think any adapater that's 2.5mm male and 3.5mm female will work I guess, that's good news. I'll probably just go to the store for and make sure it works before I leave. The ones on Amazon are so cheap that the descriptions are kind of crappy.

Unless you plan to use the lavalier with a smartphone also, you may also purchase the same model without the smartphone adapter but seeing that there's an offer on this model, it's ok to buy.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. The one WITH the smartphone adapter is cheaper on Amazon.ca right now so it seems like an easy choice. Recording with a smartphone is definitely something I'd like to have as a fallback option, since I could put the phone in someone's pocket and sync audio later for times when wiring to the camera is inconvenient. 

Thanks for the help. 

Any tips on procedure to make sure it's working or how to avoid common issues with a setup like this?

Yes, any stereo 3.5-->2.5mm adapter will do. Get one with a nice clean "gold" coating. Contrary to popular believe, slightly matte gold finish is better than really shinny ones.

The only thing I can think of for a lavalier mic is the range. If you plan to stand far away from the camera, you may have to go for an on camera wireless transmitter system. It's sort of like a wireless flash trigger except it transmit audio signals.

Some links. I have not had the need to use these so I hope these links helps.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLetter/Camera-Mount-Wireless-Microphones.jsp

• 5 months later...

Personally I would get a seperate dedicated recorder with built in stereo microphones. It will handle noise levels better, record cleaner, has better gain than the X-T1 and generally will be easier. It very easy to sync up audio in most video editers becuase you still have the audio recorded on the X-T1 to match wave forms to.

Just remember to record in 48Hz rather than the more usual musical application default of 44.1.

Here is a video where I shot video on the X-T1 and used a Zoom H4 I think first gen, now available for peanuts on ebay. PLease note the grainyness is because I a) uploaded a 720 version by mistake and B) this was shot at 6400 as it was a very dark room.

Its not super pro but as a capture of a rehearsal it worked very well, if I was doing it seriously I would have hired lights (and frankly another camera) but for my current purposes it works well, and I highly recomend external audio.

Lens = XF 10-24 at F4

Note the rather horrific Moire on the amp grill, please let them have fixed that with the X-T2

G

G

• 1 month later...
Guest thiswayup

Buy cheap voice recorders and the sort of lavellier mics that are $15 for 5 on ebay. Give everyone in scene their own mic and use a clapperboard at the start of recording to synch. Nothing beats individual mics.