Is X-E3 worth to buy new on 2019?

eric2410

Hi,

I am thinking to grab a X-E3 by this year Christmas but is it worth to buy new E3 or wait for the successor?

Some rumours saying that E3 will not receive an update but I like its weight and size as it matching to they style I shoot (I am mainly on street photography). 

new X-Pro 2 & 3 is way out of my budget, so it is tough for me to consider the two. 

Please feel free to share your ideas. 

Thank you. 

If you are happy with the specs, I would say go ahead! I have an X-E3 - along with an X-T2 - and find it to be quite a nice camera with impressive performance! It gives up very little to the X-Pro2 and the X-T2, with which it shares its sensor and processor. It's main deficiency is its lack of weather sealing - a concern here in Oregon, and why I have the X-T2 as well. The touchscreen is not a favorite feature, but it is easy enough to live with.

Just as the X-T3 is not that major of an upgrade over the X-T2 (unless you shoot video), I can't imagine that the next generation of the X-E series would bring much new to the platform. I really can't imagine one buying the X-E or X-Pro camera for serious video work, anyway!

The X-E3 is a reality of today. 

You can certainly wait to buy directly an X-E4, somewhere in 2020 or 2021, and continue to shoot with your actual camera, but, then, the X-T3 would be an X-T4, and probably at the eve of been upgraded to X-T5 ... and it would be then appropriate to wait the next to come X-E5 with so potential wonderful features .... 

I like very much my X-E3 which give me so fine files, and which is so light and discreet with the 27mm pancake. If it would be an X-E4, I’ll gonna see then if it will be really useful for me to upgrade or, as I often do, to wait to the X-E5, upgrading only one time on two. 

But it’s just my way of seeing. ;~)

On 12/14/2019 at 3:46 AM, rickmayberry said:

It's main deficiency is its lack of weather sealing - a concern here in Oregon, and why I have the X-T2 as well.

I really can't imagine one buying the X-E or X-Pro camera for serious video work, anyway!

Hi rickmayberry,

thanks for the comment. 

I only shoot stills and I like the body of X-E3, but my primary concern is also the weather sealed. 

I have Canon gears with L lens, and I do not need to worry anywhere I go, I can just shoot. But with X-E3, it may end up with some restrictions. 

X-T2 is very DSLR like camera, and more expensive, I wish to try something new. 

X-Pro 2 is too expensive and heavy, it basically out of my budget. 

It’s a tough choice in Fuji camp. 

thanks again. 

I definitely prefer the "rangefinder" style of the X-E and X-Pro cameras over the SLR-inspired design of the X-T series. The main reason that I bought the X-T2 over the X-T20 was the weather sealing. Had an X-Pro2 been available at the same price point, I would have certainly bought it instead. Weather permitting, I will grab the X-E3 in a moment over the X-T2. I can easily see a time when an X-Pro will replace the both of them!

Good luck with whatever decision you make!!!

19 hours ago, Zababo said:

The X-E3 is a reality of today. 

You can certainly wait to buy directly an X-E4, somewhere in 2020 or 2021, and continue to shoot with your actual camera, but, then, the X-T3 would be an X-T4, and probably at the eve of been upgraded to X-T5 ... and it would be then appropriate to wait the next to come X-E5 with so potential wonderful features .... 

Hi Zababo,

thanks for the comments. 

unfortunately, there is no clear direction yet about the X-E series whether will received an update. 

total agreed with you, X-E3 is a “today” camera, and the price is very attractive now especially the 23mm bundle. 

Because Fuji will be my second camera as I will still primarily shoot Canon DSLR, this is why it is so tough for me to make up purchase decision. 

thanks

1 hour ago, rickmayberry said:

I definitely prefer the "rangefinder" style of the X-E and X-Pro cameras over the SLR-inspired design of the X-T series. The main reason that I bought the X-T2 over the X-T20 was the weather sealing. Had an X-Pro2 been available at the same price point, I would have certainly bought it instead. Weather permitting, I will grab the X-E3 in a moment over the X-T2. I can easily see a time when an X-Pro will replace the both of them!

Good luck with whatever decision you make!!!

Hi rickmayberry,

thanks again for the comments. 

I just bought and X-T30 for my wife for her Christmas gift, it comes with 18-55mm kit lens. She upgraded from X-A5 that purchased last year. Anyway, she is new to photography. 

the motivation for me to purchase X-E3 because i am thinking add one prime lens into the kit, and 23mm if the focal length that I always use (~35mm) while I shooting with my Canon DSLR. 

The lens cost around $400, but the bundle price for X-E3 with 23mm is $800, this looks like a great deal. I will save $100 if I purchased separately. 

I tested the ax-E3 last year and it feel good on my hand. But this will be my second camera after my Canon DSLR anyway. So it is a tough choice. 

Thanks again for your reply. 

I certainly think it is worth buying, as I just ordered one yesterday with the 18-55.  I'll swap the lens with the 27mm f/2.8 that I currently have on my x-t20.  Image quality should be the same in an even more compact form factor.  I'm gearing up to put together a good travel kit for an international trip next spring.  I'll take my a7riii for the high res wide angle shots and I plan to carry at least one other body (possibly two) on the trip for the normal and short telephoto shots.