Fuji "Pro" Repair Center is a Letdown

SOSKIphoto

Little back story, full-time working photographer (editorial and wedding) hoping to make the switch from my Canon system to Fuji after falling in love with the X100t.

I hopped on reliable forums and purchased a mint X-T1 and 56mm f/1.2 to test the waters. Upon unboxing, I found out it had the dreaded squishy D-Pad (as opposed to my awesome rental from Borrow Lenses), and "Light Flare" issue. Original owner wouldn't take it back, so I called up the Pro Repair Center in VA for warranty work.

1. 45 minute wait to get direction for an Repair Order Form,

2. $50 FedEx ground from CA to VA,

3. 3 WEEK wait before I receive any word from Fuji (no acknowledgement that they received my camera – nothing),

4. Repair Estimate is $175,

5. Call them up and they explain they are charging me because free warranty work was done last year, not this year. They also admit that my serial number is affected but they won't fix their own issue.

Moral of the story/rant – Fuji doesn't have their shit together in the repair and support area. I love the cameras, but I can't be in the dark for 3 weeks while trying to earn a living. I have sent many items into Canon's CPS program and love their overly active communication – "We received your item," "Your Estimate is $$$," "We finished your repair," "We are prepping shipment," "Your tracking number is xxx." No matter how great your cameras are, you will never be the heart of my working system if your support is lacking.

Thanks for posting your experience.

Similar shoes over here, wanting to downsize and get rid of the Nikon kit but came to the conclusion that if you are a working editorial/wedding photog it's not a good idea - and the repair center experience is a new addition to that list. There are people on the forum that will argue that but I think there's a variety of reasons you should hang on to your Canon stuff for the time being, as I am my Nikon, as much as I would rather use something else sometimes. 

Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully Fujifilm will beef up their setup to a higher standard soon.

At one of the launches I attended, Fujifilm officials seemed apologetic that they are a small setup compared to the big boys and are doing their best. Thankfully, my experiences with them reflect that.

well, I have complained before elsewhere about my  only experience experience with my first Fuji camera. It was a X-E1.

It went in for service because it showed “ oil” spots ( which I wasn’t unsure they were of my own making since up to that point I had had only once another lens with a adapter and always had the camera with the 35mm only.

The shop first examined it, determined that it might have been a camera defect and sent it to Fuji GERMAY because there is no Fuji lab in the Netherlands (!!!!).

The camera went if for a clean and the roundtrip from shop to lab, to shop in another city and then to me took 8 weeks ( 6 spent in Germany). Luckily they provided me with a X-M1 while I was waiting.

The good news was that the camera had been serviced “ free of charge” the bad one was that there was a hair ( so big you could see it on the display)  trapped on the sensor.

The shop tried everything then they had to admit defeat and offered me to send it again ( 8 more weeks? Nein Danke!)

The other possibility was to give me a discount for the amount paid on another camera.

That’s how I bought my X-T1.

I have to conclude that if the camera had belonged to anyone looking to use it as a pro camera no one in his right mind would put up with this.

Turn around has to be less than a week, for any problem otherwise this ain’t working!

well, I have complained before elsewhere about my  only experience experience with my first Fuji camera. It was a X-E1.

It went in for service because it showed “ oil” spots ( which I wasn’t unsure they were of my own making since up to that point I had had only once another lens with a adapter and always had the camera with the 35mm only.

The shop first examined it, determined that it might have been a camera defect and sent it to Fuji GERMAY because there is no Fuji lab in the Netherlands (!!!!).

The camera went if for a clean and the roundtrip from shop to lab, to shop in another city and then to me took 8 weeks ( 6 spent in Germany). Luckily they provided me with a X-M1 while I was waiting.

The good news was that the camera had been serviced “ free of charge” the bad one was that there was a hair ( so big you could see it on the display)  trapped on the sensor.

The shop tried everything then they had to admit defeat and offered me to send it again ( 8 more weeks? Nein Danke!)

The other possibility was to give me a discount for the amount paid on another camera.

I have to conclude that if the camera had belonged to anyone looking to use it as a pro camera no one in his right mind would put up with this.

Turn around has to be less than a week, for any problem otherwise this ain’t working!

Turn around less than a week isn't going to happen.  That's why Fuji started the whole Professional support program like Canon and Nikon have.

Guys need to give them a chance to iron out all the kinks in their professional support program.  People are so quick to jump and dump a company because they don't get it completely perfect straight out of the gate.

Little back story, full-time working photographer (editorial and wedding) hoping to make the switch from my Canon system to Fuji after falling in love with the X100t.

I hopped on reliable forums and purchased a mint X-T1 and 56mm f/1.2 to test the waters. Upon unboxing, I found out it had the dreaded squishy D-Pad (as opposed to my awesome rental from Borrow Lenses), and "Light Flare" issue. Original owner wouldn't take it back, so I called up the Pro Repair Center in VA for warranty work.

3. 3 WEEK wait before I receive any word from Fuji (no acknowledgement that they received my camera – nothing),

5. Call them up and they explain they are charging me because free warranty work was done last year, not this year. They also admit that my serial number is affected but they won't fix their own issue.

Moral of the story/rant – Fuji doesn't have their shit together in the repair and support area. I love the cameras, but I can't be in the dark for 3 weeks while trying to earn a living. I have sent many items into Canon's CPS program and love their overly active communication – "We received your item," "Your Estimate is $$$," "We finished your repair," "We are prepping shipment," "Your tracking number is xxx." No matter how great your cameras are, you will never be the heart of my working system if your support is lacking.

Not that i don't believe you but I've had nothing but OUTSTANDING service with my Fuji center -- not with my X Series cameras, but with my previous S1Pro, S2Pro dSLR's.  A short story:  On my (eBay purchased, used ) S2Pro dSLR I discovered some straight horizontal lines on my images about a year after my flea-bay purchase.  I knew immediately it was a bad sensor.  This camera was 2-3 years out of warranty.  I drove it to the Fuji service center in Central New Jersey.  This was a Thursday afternoon.  I asked them for an "estimate only" as the sensor was well over a thousand US at the time.  On Monday morning just before lunch Im in my office and get a call:  Your S2Pro is ready for pickup.  We replaced the sensor, and the shutter mechanism.  I GULPED.  I explained to the young lady I only wanted an estimate.  Her response:  There is no charge.  It's our fault.  WHAT?!!  WHAT!!???  I couldn't believe it.  Basically they handed me a brand-new camera.

When I first got my X-E1 in 2013 I called their help desk - again at fuji in NJ.  One of the tech guys actually went and got a X-E1 and walked me through all my questions, gave me his name, and told me to call back if I needed anything else.  

Please don't make broad statements as you have.  Fuji, as opposed to the Nikon service center in Melville, NY, which I had to deal with when I had my D800, is freakin' amazing.  You can't judge them by a one-time issue.  And no, I'm not a fanboy of Fuji.  If they sucked, I would say-so.  

Fuji service is ONE of many reasons why I dropped all my Nikon crap and went with them.

If I were you, I'd get on the phone or email to ANY OTHER FUJI person that will hear your case and keep hammering away.  And, BE NICE and PROFESSIONAL.  Whining doesn't work, nor anger.

Oh.  And if you need a camera as a working pro maybe you should have gone either a rental, or a new one.  Again, I don't know what your specific circumstances are or were.  Just my personal opinion.  I hope you don't take offense as I'm not giving any.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  I wish you luck in getting your camera repaired.

J

Why did you buy a used camera with known issues in the first place? If unknown, the previous owner has to take it back. Very strange. Luckily, 2 years warranty here in Germany, anyway, so they fix stuff free of charge. Free shipping, too, in both directions. And a free loaner for the time of repair, if one asks.

It wasn't a known issue at the time of purchase. I guess I should have done more research on the camera's history and affected serial numbers.

Thanks for posting your experience.

Similar shoes over here, wanting to downsize and get rid of the Nikon kit but came to the conclusion that if you are a working editorial/wedding photog it's not a good idea - and the repair center experience is a new addition to that list. There are people on the forum that will argue that but I think there's a variety of reasons you should hang on to your Canon stuff for the time being, as I am my Nikon, as much as I would rather use something else sometimes. 

That's the decision I've come to as well. At this point, my full-time business (shooting 5 days a week) does not have the downtime to  wait 3 weeks (or even 10 days) to go without a loaner or repair. At the least, I need to have an idea of when the repair will be completed and back in my hands so I can plan out a rental period and budget.

Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully Fujifilm will beef up their setup to a higher standard soon.

At one of the launches I attended, Fujifilm officials seemed apologetic that they are a small setup compared to the big boys and are doing their best. Thankfully, my experiences with them reflect that.

Hopefully! That's really the only thing holding them back from fully competing with the Big 2. I don't care how small you are as a repair/support company. Just give me a call or email and keep me up to date with the status of my repair.

Yikes, 8 weeks is ridiculous. In their defense, it sounds like there was a lot of shipping time between facilities. Happy to hear they fixed the issue in the end and allowed you to purchase a discounted X-T1.

Turn around less than a week isn't going to happen.  That's why Fuji started the whole Professional support program like Canon and Nikon have.

Guys need to give them a chance to iron out all the kinks in their professional support program.  People are so quick to jump and dump a company because they don't get it completely perfect straight out of the gate.

That's not true. As a Canon CPS Platinum member, I've had cameras shipped out Monday morning and returned back by Friday night with replaced shutters, fixed bent CF pins, or a full motherboard.

I have no option but to wait for Fuji's support to get bigger, faster, and more responsible. As a full-time professional, I need my gear working at all times. I am happy to give them another chance when they get it ironed out.

Not that i don't believe you but I've had nothing but OUTSTANDING service with my Fuji center -- not with my X Series cameras, but with my previous S1Pro, S2Pro dSLR's.  A short story:  On my (eBay purchased, used ) S2Pro dSLR I discovered some straight horizontal lines on my images about a year after my flea-bay purchase.  I knew immediately it was a bad sensor.  This camera was 2-3 years out of warranty.  I drove it to the Fuji service center in Central New Jersey.  This was a Thursday afternoon.  I asked them for an "estimate only" as the sensor was well over a thousand US at the time.  On Monday morning just before lunch Im in my office and get a call:  Your S2Pro is ready for pickup.  We replaced the sensor, and the shutter mechanism.  I GULPED.  I explained to the young lady I only wanted an estimate.  Her response:  There is no charge.  It's our fault.  WHAT?!!  WHAT!!???  I couldn't believe it.  Basically they handed me a brand-new camera.

When I first got my X-E1 in 2013 I called their help desk - again at fuji in NJ.  One of the tech guys actually went and got a X-E1 and walked me through all my questions, gave me his name, and told me to call back if I needed anything else.  

Please don't make broad statements as you have.  Fuji, as opposed to the Nikon service center in Melville, NY, which I had to deal with when I had my D800, is freakin' amazing.  You can't judge them by a one-time issue.  And no, I'm not a fanboy of Fuji.  If they sucked, I would say-so.  

Fuji service is ONE of many reasons why I dropped all my Nikon crap and went with them.

If I were you, I'd get on the phone or email to ANY OTHER FUJI person that will hear your case and keep hammering away.  And, BE NICE and PROFESSIONAL.  Whining doesn't work, nor anger.

Oh.  And if you need a camera as a working pro maybe you should have gone either a rental, or a new one.  Again, I don't know what your specific circumstances are or were.  Just my personal opinion.  I hope you don't take offense as I'm not giving any.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  I wish you luck in getting your camera repaired.

J

No problem and no offense taken.

Everyone has various experiences with all manufacturers. I've had friends hate Canon repair and move to Nikon, I've had others move from Nikon to Canon specifically because they were upset with the repair process. You had a great experience but I didn't. That's life. We pick our favorites, weigh the pros and cons, and figure out what we are willing to tolerate.

I only posted this to share my experience, in case others in my shoes are wondering. Was my experience a fluke? Maybe. I hope it doesn't happen again though.

***ISSUE SOLVED!***

Tuesday PM:

I called Fuji again to figure out what was going on with my X-T1. A Professional Manager picked up, looked up my repair, and couldn't understand why its been 3 weeks with no contact. He also explained that since the recall fix was over a year old, they would charge for LABOR but not parts. I explained to him that the recall notice did not state a deadline to get the camera fixed, therefore they shouldn't charge for anything. He agreed and said he would talk with his boss about the issue and call me back the next morning.

Wednesday AM:

I woke up to an email with a tracking number from Fuji.

Thursday AM:

My X-T1 is back in my hands with a note that reads, "Light Flare Effect fixed and Squishy D-Pad repaired :]"

So there we have it. Fuji followed through with the repair, free of charge. It just took 3 weeks and a very stern conversation with a manager. In the end, I'm happy, but there's no reason this experience had to be such a headache. I'm happy to use Fuji personally right now, but not rely on them for my professional use.

Well, I don’t think that I was giving Fuji an unnecessary, undeserved and unfair hard time with the report of my direct experience. I can only judge things by direct experience and this was mine. Elsewhere you might have a completely different experience and I am very happy for you.

It is, however, a truthful report of how the things happened to me. True, 2 of the 8 weeks were lost on the account of the shop sending the item to their collection center and from there to Germany, but 6 weeks were the turnaround time in Germany.

You can turn it around and look at it from any side you wish and polish this in any possible way but it was what it was.

The fact that the camera came back with a different problem ( a hair visible even on the screen or evf and that could have spotted simply turning on the camera before reshipping it to me) is also slightly disturbing.

It was not FUJI which took back the camera that they hadn’t really repaired ( since it came back with another problem) it was the shop.

They are the real hero here and I am happy for that!

In fact I was getting very preoccupied when I started reading these reports of the several camera showing their skins coming loose.  I shrug this off as a freaky occurrence ( which for the time being I still prefer to think it is) but once the reports have started piling up a bit I worry that it will happen to me.

As I said we don’t even have a Fuji repair lab in the Netherlands ( and I suppose Belgium has the same problem) yes a small but a highly developed country, with substantial disposable income and with high density of his nearly 17 million inhabitants. 

Anyway. I hope never to have any need for the lab ever again.

It wasn't a known issue at the time of purchase. I guess I should have done more research on the camera's history and affected serial numbers.

This was a known issue since February 2014. That's why I had my first X-T1 repaired for the light leak and the self-destroying command dials (another known issue) in early 2014. My battery grip is also affected (according to its serial number), but since it still works, I won't have it repaired until it breaks. Of course, this may happen out of warranty, but Fuji Germany will still fix it free of charge, anytime.

At least here in Germany, there is no "pro" service, yet. No need to introduce one, though, as everybody gets this stuff fixed under warranty for 2 years and will also get a loaner for the time of repair if he asks. So the situation is pretty relaxed and everybody has a camera for their summer vacation. Known issues (like SAB) are basically fixed free of charge as long as spare parts are available.

Of course, a "pro" service might still be useful here, but with a different set of additional services and benefits. The repair and service part is already handled in a pretty professional and customer-friendly way. That doesn't mean that there aren't any issues at all, but if you have a look at service related threads in the German X forums, they are mostly filled with praise. Which is quite uncommon on the Internet.

I'd like to add my experience with Fuji's UK repair centre to the mix.

I recently damaged my XF10-24 and sent it in for repair. It was received, logged in, evaluated & quoted within 24 hours of arriving when I was told that it might take up to 5 working days. Good experience. Then after I authorised the repair it went into a period of 3 weeks where they were repairing it then waiting for parts after realising they didn't have them. I called a couple of times across this period to chase them up but to no avail. Not so good. Then after eventually repairing it they shipped it back to me on Sept 1st but gave the courier company an incomplete address. The couriers sent an alert to Fuji that they needed more information to deliver the lens, the lens sat with the couriers for about a week, and Fuji never bothered to get back to the couriers or contact me about it. Bad experience.

This is only discovered when I call Fuji up yet again to ask where my lens is and they tell me it was shipped out on the 1st. No email to let me know to expect it back or track it or anything. Bad communication Fuji. They tell me on the phone that I should call the courier directly to fix the address error and give me a phone & shipping number. I call the courier who say they can rearrange the shipping for the next day. I even have to call them a second time to confirm that they can do it but all is promised to be in order. Yay! Finally will have my lens back!

Except, no, it does't arrive. I call the courier again and they inform me that it was returned to sender. WHAT?! Another bad experience. Yes, okay, this is the couriers fault this time but it still leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. Fuji shouldn't be using companies who are so incompetent they tell you one thing, confirm it, and then do another.

So, back to calling Fuji again. I explain the situation and they are apologetic and say that they will ship it back to me Special Next Day delivery through Royal Mail and will call me as soon as they dispatch it.

This is make or break time. Loyal customers are built on good customer service. I have a job on Monday that I need that lens for (luckily none of my work for the last month have desperately needed an UWA), so if I don't have it back with me by Monday morning at the latest then it might be goodbye Fuji for me. Love the cameras, but I need a company I can trust.

Come on Fuji! Come through for me like you do with your firmware & with they way you listen to customers with your camera designs!

I recently had to send back my 35mm back for repair as the dust filter got somehow slightly pushed out of the lens.

It wasn't anything dramatic nor blocked the lens from working, but still went back to my retailer since I am still well within my 2 years warrenty and shipped back for repair.

While it didn't really took THAT long, more or less 2 weeks. I still felt that I prefer the overall feeling with Nikon NPS. That could be the one reason I would never let go of my Nikon gear because I know it can get fixed fast and if needed, I can get a replacement for whatever is broken.

It kinda made me wish Fuji could have a service like that. Just drive in, tell them what's wrong, get a loan/temp replacement, and continue working until your product is back for pick up.

I had a such dreadful experience with the Fuji repair center in NJ that I'm dreading any more of my Fuji gear needing repair. My 35mm lens started making a lot more noise than usual, so I called and spoke to someone who told me I needed to talk with another guy and he would have him call me back. Well, after leaving three messages (not returned) I eventually got through to the guy who advised me to send it in.

After a month of not hearing a thing I called to find out the score, and was told there was nothing wrong with the lens and they couldn't hear anything. Bear in mind, it was making more noise than an excited R2 Unit.

I asked them to look again and the guy said he would call me back, which he didn't. I left several messages, and eventually got through to a colleague who promised me I would get a call back. Guess what…

Seven weeks after sending it in my lens appeared on my doorstep, with no notice whatsoever, just as noisy as when I sent it in. Before giving up, I left two emails and two messages and got no response.

Now, before anyone responds saying that the 35mm is a noisy lens and they are all like that, I'll add two qualifiers: it was quite noisy when I got it, but over time it became much noisier, and I compared it with two other identical lenses and it is much, much noisier.

I love my X-T1 and all the Fuji gear I own, but the customer service is dreadful. You may have had a good experience I'm happy for you, but CS has to be consistent; all the customers need to have a great experience. If you're in business, any kind of business but particularly CS, you have to do what you have said you are going to do.

I am an unhappy customer!

I had the 35mm ( now sold only for practical purpose because I am not going to have more than 5 lenses with me) which I’ve used it on X-E1, X-M1, X-T1 and I’ve never found it “ noisy”, but that experience might vary.

I was always very enthusiastic about this lens.

Obviously the people at the lab didn’t think that this could be a problem of YOU lens on YOUR camera. In other words it might have been not noisy ( how do you measure this? What’s noisy for one person might not be for another!).

Anyway, regardless, the way you were treated is an appalling treatment where you as customers received a very bad experience. Some folks chanche camera system on account of these things!

Write the report of the whole experience and send this to the Japanese head office.

They won’t change anything and st most will offer an apology, but at least they know that something is rotten in NJ!

I had the 35mm ( now sold only for practical purpose because I am not going to have more than 5 lenses with me) which I’ve used it on X-E1, X-M1, X-T1 and I’ve never found it “ noisy”, but that experience might vary.

[...]

Oh god, the first time I tried that 35mm in my regular camera shop, the sales guy immediately stepped in and explained to me that it was normal sound for it. I guess the surprise look I had when I heard it focus could have caused the reaction.

But yeah, certainly not the lens I would use in a rather quiet area, the 18-135 with its LM engine is a lot less noisy.

Well, then it is rather obvious that experiences (or expectations) with this lens noise level vary greatly then, because I have used this lens ( in autofocus mode ) during the recoding of a CD in an antique piano shop in Amsterdam. 

There was no noise that could be detected ( I used the electronic shutter) or I would have been chucked out after the first number.

I am not aware of me having done any particular setting but hearing so many “ complaints” about the operational noise of the autofocus on this lens, I must have been particularly lucky. I’ve sold it now so I cannot try to replicate the noisy conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you send your camera for repair? I'm not aware of any authorised repair center in VA. Fuji USA doesnt have a repair center in VA listed on their website.