Fuji X-T30 Autofocus on manual exposure

Steven Lea

Hi,

I have a question regarding the autofocus on the X-T30. 

I always use manual exposure. The trouble that I am finding is that when I half press the shutter button the autofocus does not detect various objects in the frame. The small focus box stays in the centre of the screen unless I touch the screen to focus elsewhere.

I  have just come from Nikon where I could manually expose but still use all the autofocus points.

Can anybody shed any light on this issue?

Regards, Steven

Which AF Mode are you using? (Go into the menu and look at the first screen of AF/MF setting).

It might help if you read the tutorial at this link which explains how the camera focuses and the effect of the different modes.

https://fujifilm-x.com/af/en/af_mode/

It was written before the X-T3 and X-T30 but the principle is the same - the main difference is that phase detection now works across the entire screen. 

It sounds like you've got the camera set for single-point AF. Meaning you're telling the camera to use only that one focus point.

Try Zone AF, which allows a 3x3, 5x5, or 7x7 group of AF points. Obviously (?), the larger the zone the more likely the camera is to focus on something, but the less likely it is to focus on what you want it to focus on. Or you could go to Wide AF, where the camera can pick anything in the frame to focus on.

AF is unrelated to exposure mode. It works the same on Program exposure as on Manual exposure.