Custom Profiles

John Moore

Hello, friends.

I’ve only had my new Fujifilm X-T3 for less than a week now, but am absolutely loving it. One frustrating thing I can’t quite work out however is why, after I’ve taken a few shots in one of my Custom Profiles, and then switched to a standard film simulation (say, Provia) that all of the very specific  settings of the Custom Profile I had been using just before are now all automatically applied to that standard film simulation. Please tell me I’m missing something.

Thank you, in advance.

Film simulation is just one piece of a Custom Setting. When you select a Custom Setting, you are loading the entire Custom Setting into the camera. All of the many parts of that Custom Setting --- film simulation, white balance, highlight tones, shadow tones, color saturation, noise reduction, sharpening, DR, etc. -- will replace whatever your camera had been set to. When you change the film simulation, that changes just the film simulation, without changing anything else.

You just need to set up a "standard" Custom Setting. It's probably most convenient to put that in C1.

Doug Pardee, thank you for such great insight and advice. Your tip worked wonderfully. I set up my C1 Custom Profile as a Standard with no adjustments to tones, saturation, etc (everything set to 0.) That gets me back to unaltered film simulations after using my Custom Profile with just the click of a button (as opposed to having to go into my Q Menu and changing everything back to 0 manually.) As a street photographer time is of the essence 😉.

Once again, thank you so much!