Qstns re/ Fuji XF 10 from a newby in Street Photography

Jon M

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Photography, and even newer on Street Photography, so I'm hoping to get advice here, particularly on Fuji XF 10.

I already have a camera I like (with reasonably decent quality, body as well as lenses) but it's not a small system and as such these small yet powerful cameras (XF 10 as well as quite a few of similar sizes) interest me a lot esp. for Street Photography.

XF 10 interests me in particular due to budget (yet still with APS-C sensor), however can those of you Street Photographers confirm if the 2 zone focus settings available are suitable/ useful? 

Also can it be set to always be on Manual Focus, then set to focus at let's say 5m at F8, so we can take the shots quickly (I read its AF’s performance is fairly poor).

And on any of these settings above, will it stay like that after turning off and on, or back from sleep mode?

Lastly, is that a big problem not having IS at night/ around darker areas? Can I set minimum speed to let’s say 60 and the system then compensates by increasing ISO?

Thanks heaps and best wishes to you all.

Edited by Jon M

• 2 weeks later...

Hei, (new 17.12.2019 firmware installed)

The snapshot modes F/8 2m and F/5.6 5m are useful but then you have to accept some limitations.

The camera can remember the snapshot setting after off-on. But if you rotate the mode dial when power is on then the snapshot will be off.

There are 3 AUTO ISO presets having 3 PARAMETERS: "DEFAULT SENSITIVITY" "MIN SHUTTER SPEED"  "MAX SENSITIVITY"

In A-Mode works like this: "DEFAULT SENSITIVITY"  e.g. ISO200 used as long as possible with shutter speeds 1/16000 - "MIN SHUTTER SPEED" e.g. 1/60 s After that in darker the ISO will be increased from 200 to "MAX SENSITIVITY" e.g. ISO6400 while the shutter speeds stays in 1/60. If it becomes still darker the shutter speeds 1/60 ... 30s will be used with ISO6400. I have not tested what happens if there is darker than ISO6400 & 30s perhaps still larger ISOs will be used.

Snapshot in modes:

A-mode (and P-mode): front aperture dial does nothing, use back dial to change exposure correction -5 .... +5 EV = 10 EV. You can set ISO or use Auto ISO,

• camera can change shutter speed from range 1/16000 & ISO200 to 30 s & ISO6400 =23 EV range (Auto ISO on) or 18 EV range (ISO selected)
  • easy job for the camera in varying lightning conditions to give selected exposure correction in range -5 .... +5 EV = 10 EV
  • safe and easy mode for user,
  •  

S-mode: use front aperture dial to change shutter speed 1/16000-30s = 18 EV, use back dial to change exposure correction -5 .... +5 EV = 10 EV. Total range for user = 28 EV!

• the camera can change only ISO (if Auto ISO on, max Auto ISO range 6400-200 = 5 EV) and if the user sets fixed ISO other than auto, then the camera is in manual mode (shutter, aperture and ISO set by the user)!
  • difficult job for the camera to avoid under or over exposure if the user is not careful: check the result and keep eye on histogram
  • This works well in other modes also though manual says: "Enable exposure preview in manual exposure mode"  (the preview is good)

M-mode: front aperture dial does nothing, use back dial to change shutter speed 1/16000-30s = 18 EV and also the same dial will change exposure correction with the AUTO ISO rules.

Regards, Raimo

PS

I don't use snapfocus. I use A-mode and manual focus + back button focus. I have dedicated the Fn button above Q-button to Instant focus. It works almost like snapfocus (keeps focus) but it let me do more. When I press the button the camera will focus where I want and it keeps the focus and keeps it if I change mode when camera on, turn off on. In addition I can change the exposure correction, F-value to control dof and use manual focus ring if needed e.g. to be sure the focus is in infinity. In my setup the focus ring of the lens works as manual focus ring (very slow response in close "makro" distances) but in snapfocus mode the ring is for digital zoom 28(no zoom)-35-50 mm.

Edited by Raimo Launonen
spellingi

Hi Raimo,

Thank you very much for such detailed and informative response. I really appreciate it.

Note: I like your approach in using back button for focus (and I presume you also set the shutter release not to focus at half press). In fact I've been doing the same with my current camera, and it's great to know I can do the same on XF10.

Best wishes, and have a great Christmas and New Year season, hope you manage to get a relaxing break.

Jon