#41 jlmphotos

jlmphotos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:18 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Goodness Gracious!

Did you BOIL the camera in hot water?  Wow. ;)   I've never heard of that happening.  

Jorge L. Moro   | X-T1 |  X-T2 | 18-55 |  Zeiss 12/2.8  |  Fuji 16 1.4  |   Fuji 23 1.4 | Fuji 35 1.4 | Fuji 55-200  |

For Special Projects: Nikon D800e and a Nikon 50 1.8G lens (Sold)

| xshooters blog  |  Flickr Feed  | 

#42 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

then you haven’t read of ALL the other people to whom this has happened.

Do that , before you say something like that.  :rolleyes:

http://www.fuji-x-fo...accessory-door/

http://www.fuji-x-fo...rubber-surface/

http://www.fuji-x-fo...skin-of-x-pro1/

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

#43 normantj

normantj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:02 AM

The problem lies with Fuji's choice of rubber material. Same goes with the older Olympus models and Nikon models, they all have issues with rubbers expanding and eventually coming off the body itself..

Canon's "rubber" is probably the longest lasting one. I personally havent seen one from Canon with an "expanded" or "loose" rubber no matter how old the camera..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#44 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:49 AM

I am not sure that it is so clear cut a problem ( not a pun!).

And more importantly if the problem was simply in the material we would see all the cameras affected by it, but for the most part, they are not.

There has to be some other factor.

It can be anything really so speculating on this would only be unwarranted guessing. 

I would rule out an environmental factor since these freak things are happening in countries very far apart and away and with different climates. We are seeing only a minute number of cases and who knows how many non fora dwellers out there have the rubber coming off and the doors bulging but aren’t saying anything or have already paid for a repair.

Fujis should, by the way, refund people who did.

One thing is absolutely for sure and that is that it isn’t the user’s fault and that it should be always repaired no questions asked and fuss made even outside the one year guarantee ( this is a factory defect infringing the expectation of the useful life of the product and the reasonable expectancies about it productive life).

Of course some countries take a very much more serious attitude against thing like this and there is the scope for litigation if someone would take thins seriously enough to go to court in some cases.

#45 wildcart

wildcart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:27 PM

My Canon 1DX had this problem after 3 years and now my new 5DSR also has this problem only within a few months but its not as bad as my Fuji I really need that one to be repaid  :blink:  

#46 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

yes, sorry, in the NL they send your camera to Germany for repair and it will take several weeks

#47 bulldog

bulldog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationEly, Cambs UK

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

Not wanting to temp fate, but my XT1 door and camera coverings are now fine.

Yet my Nikon coverings started to come off within 3 months. But they were replaced under warrenty.

#48 bulldog

bulldog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationEly, Cambs UK

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

Duplicate post

#49 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

Yes, luckily my X-T1 is fine too and I hope it stays that way, yet this phenomenon concerning so many cameras has to have some form of explanation which escapes my mind.

I hope that Fuji will always and everywhere honor the Guarantee even past the one or two compulsory years.

#50 quincy

quincy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:57 PM

My door started to bulge yesterday, and the funny thing is, it's getting colder where I am, not warmer...

#51 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:03 PM

some like it hot, some cold  :blink:

#52 Mikofox

Mikofox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:34 AM

Although the camera is made in Japan it doesn't mean all the parts are Japan made. If the rubber deteriorates/deforms it may well be the same problem one can observe with most synthetic rubber products coming out of mainland China since several years. I have installed engine mounts, drive-axle boots and other rubber parts that fell apart just one week after being exposed to the environment. Then there are some OEM rubbers that still look great after 15-20 years. I'm sure most people are also familiar with the poisonos smell of these China rubber products. They don't smell like rubber used to smell, because they are mostly made from recycled rubber scrap that has burned particles and other industrial solvents/residues inside that make the products unreliable, if not outright poisonous to use or handle.
So I figure it is a combination of the rubber being too soft, of questionable source and quality, added by environmental factors, like propane appliances at the place of storage, user's sweat chemistry and climate conditions or an underlying adhesive vs rubber incompatibility.
I have a Panasonic lens which has a bulged/loose zoom ring and I notice that some lens makers are forgoing the rubber zoom or focus rings for solid patterned plastic to avoid these problems. I also had several camera brands where corners of the skin came loose, some because the older adhesive was not as good as todays, but also because the rubber just softened and bulged.

#53 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

Since we don’t know whether the rubberized surfaces are made in China , and don’t even know why they bulge and come loose I think that making these assumptions is a guess.

#54 jlmphotos

jlmphotos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

Wow.  I'm 18 months in with the X-T1, over 80,000 images and counting and...... nothing.  Doors close, rubber seems intact.  I hope I don't jinx it now.  

In a couple of weeks I'm heading out a very humid, surrounded by salt water and jungle area to shoot stock.  I'll definitely be using lots of bug spray, and sun screen lotion.  Let's see what the body looks like when I return...

Ok.  I'm now back from the Florida Keys, and the Dry Tortugas.  I was in 92 degree + temperature, hot, blazing sun.  Rain storms, lightening, and when it wasn't raining the humidity exceeded the temperature - for 10 full days of which nine were spent in the sand and saltwater.   In addition to all that, on several occasions I had to re-arrange an item or two near the waters edge where I was laying prone;  My hands were coated in sand, then I grabbed the camera to photograph what I just setup.  My only problem?  I must have gotten some sand particles under the on/off switch as it became a two-finger crushing operation for a couple of days.  Now, it's back to normal.  I see nothing on my camera body that would indicate any peeling of rubber, nor bulging doors, etc.  I did have the stupid SD car door pop open at the most inopportune time on two occasions.  I wonder if this affliction only affects certain serial number?  Kinda like the light leak?

Jorge L. Moro   | X-T1 |  X-T2 | 18-55 |  Zeiss 12/2.8  |  Fuji 16 1.4  |   Fuji 23 1.4 | Fuji 35 1.4 | Fuji 55-200  |

For Special Projects: Nikon D800e and a Nikon 50 1.8G lens (Sold)

| xshooters blog  |  Flickr Feed  | 

#55 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

this and the many other stories shows a behavior which is extremely erratic if completely stochastic, yet there has to be some reason why this happens to some and it doesn’t affect others.

Perhaps we should record serial numbers of the affected camera and see if they belong to a certain batch.

#56 jankap

jankap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:28 PM

My Ricoh GXR has the same problem. After 1 or 2 years the cover gets loose. The glue seems to disintegrate.

Jan

#57 johant

johant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

I had a chat with a Calumet salesperson while I was there, and he told me that they had taken in a relatively high number of Fuji cameras for warranty repairs, compared to other brands. Fortunately the Fuji service, at least in Germany, is good.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#58 Torturro

Torturro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:48 PM

Rubber is of nonexistent quality - non-quality. 

After 4600 clicks - 6months - almost flat under my thumb.

So what after 2-3 years? !!

Bent doors? Waterresistance? Other minor things? Flagship model? Big Joke!

#59 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:11 PM

welcome to the Forum, I am impressed with you first post full of positivity  :) 

You are not the only one, as said above

http://www.fuji-x-fo...accessory-door/

http://www.fuji-x-fo...rubber-surface/

http://www.fuji-x-fo...skin-of-x-pro1/

the rubber surfaces have had a tough life and are being replaced in most cases without an itch , good luck with it, you are going to have your guaranteed satisfaction, I believe.

Get in touch with your local Fuji repair shop or, should they not be responsive, with the head office in Tokyo.

https://contact.fuji...1477.1432290617

• Torturro likes this

#60 Nero

Nero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:55 PM

I need to qualify this with the fact that I do use a half case, so I am handling the rubber surface very little. The only problem I've had so far is the texture on the surface of the built-in thumb rest was looking a little thinner than the rest of the camera body. I just started putting a little piece of gaffer's tape on it before it became an issue. I find that the camera is much more comfortable and steady to hold with a half case on it anyhow, although I know that doesn't apply to everyone and obviously there is a serious problem going on for some people. 

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close