131 replies to this topic

#21 bulldog

bulldog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationEly, Cambs UK

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:04 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I too have had problems in the past with Both Nikon and Canon. I don't see it as a problem with Fuji.

#22 Scott Grant

Scott Grant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

If you have had this to all this many cameras you are the only common factor among all of them. Food for thought.

Another common factor was the 400-500 hours in hand and 100K images a year these cameras went through.  ;)

#23 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

but that is not the case with other Fuji user’s whose cameras are molting their skin.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

Please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

#24 CrazyCanuk

CrazyCanuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:24 PM

Add another X-T1 owner who (had) the skin issue.  The synthetic rubber parts (skin front and back + door + rubber connector cover on bottom) begin losing structural integrity and swell over time.  Where glue is used, such as the rubber skins,  the swelling breaks the bond with the body.  I believe the root cause is bad formulation of the chemistry used in the manufacture of these parts.

Fujifilm Canada repaired my camera at no cost to me and even arranged for prepaid shipping when they confirmed that not all the skins had been replaced first go around.  I've owned lots of Fuji cameras and this is my first experience with this kind of issue.

Time will tell if the replacements parts used in the repair have the same inherent manufacturing defect.

#25 mengsi1989

mengsi1989

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

so far my X-E2 yet to have this problem, but my brother X-T1 rubber accessory door also bend and the rubber on the body already become not uniform with the camera body

#26 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:39 AM

interestingly enough the X-E1 and X-E2 seem, so far, to be immune from this problem.

002.jpg

The shedding of the rubber cover in the X100, X100S, X-Pro-1, X100, X-E1, X-E2, X-A1, X-M1, opens the possibility for some of the owners, at least the ones who are also for the most part no longer protected by the guarantee if their camera is older than 3 years to change the “ skin” and  buy the Aki-Asahi covers.

http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/

It is better to do this if the camera is no longer under guarantee because applying your own “ skin” to a Fuji camera voids the factory guarantee.

Unfortunately there is NO cover (yet?) made by Aki Asahi for X-T1.

Please remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products. They don’t even pay you for this! Nobody really wants to know about the brand and type of your phone or the program that you use to post on the forum.

#27 Teo K

Teo K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

I've already contacted the asashi guy and that's what he said about the custom X-T1 covers:

IDPAaSG.png

#28 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:12 AM

good, He sees a new and prosperous market opening  :D

Incidentally, I think that the skins solve only one of the problems, not the doors.

• Teo K likes this

#29 David

David

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

This happened to my X-T1 also - in several different places. Fuji replaced the entire covering.

I also had an issue with the rubber zoom ring on my 18-135 lens bulging. Fuji replaced this too. This was back in March at which time the camera was about 11 months old and the lens 6 months old.

Both issues arose following a few weeks spent in a tropical climate in SE Asia - but it's never been used in rain. I was really disappointed. My conclusion: maybe it's weather sealed against wind, possibly even rain. But perhaps it shouldn't be used outdoors on a sunny day in a hot climate.

#30 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:22 AM

Temperate Weather Resistant. :rolleyes: ........ :wacko:

#31 cosinaphile

cosinaphile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:42 AM

the synthetic rubber is swelling due to some unknown environmental cause .....it could be human skin oil , gasses in the atmosphere .....anything 

when i first saw the xt 1 at b and h in nyc i could see that the side black rubber was ill fitting and bulging wierrdly on the display demo....i had  a brief word with one of the knowlegable guys on staff and he said he had seen it too and his face said not happy .....it prevented me from buying one that day and i still get by with my xe1 and 2 and x 30 

im more intruigued    by the xt 10 for its flash     cost   and  covers that dont try to be a wetsuit

#32 afedorov

afedorov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:54 AM

Same problem - rubber peeling all over the XT-1 body and the plastic door on the side bulging out :( 

#33 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:12 AM

in several threads people told us that they are getting this repaired by fuji.

In some cases , at first local fuji was not responsive and wanted to charge for it, but after complaining with the head office they were nudged into a more customer’s friendly behavior.

http://www.fuji-x-fo...ory-door/page-4

#34 Teo K

Teo K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

Same problem - rubber peeling all over the XT-1 body and the plastic door on the side bulging out :(

Do what milandro suggested - contact them directly and insist that this should be repaired for free, as it is a manufacture deffect.

The result is - i got my camera repaired in 2 (two) HOURS:

https://goo.gl/photo...Nie3S3qoCyx3Gw7

https://goo.gl/photo...gNadDp3fnXSjTc9

https://goo.gl/photo...vinYrvNyDPPWto7

#35 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

the more publicity this problem gets the more unlikely it will be that the local Fuji can deny responsibility.

Since this is not yet affecting all the cameras it is still possible for them to blame individuals but it has become clear that this is not just a bad batch of glue affecting only a limited amount of cameras.

#36 wildcart

wildcart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

My XT1 is also having problems with the rubber on the back right side. How much is it to get it repaired? 

#37 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

Nothing.

This is a manufacture defect.

http://www.consument...arantietermijn/

#38 thesaltyfog

thesaltyfog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:05 PM

This has happened for the second time to me with my X-T1 - both the door bulge and the skin peeling.  I'm contacting Fuji to get this taken care of again.  They DID NOT pay for it the first time, insisting that the camera "may have been exposed to high temperatures".  I bitched and complained and they reduced the $120 plus materials (~$20) cost by 15% ($120 is their "base fee" for repairs of "professional X-series cameras" in Canada).  Seems like I didn't bitch and complain to the right people.  Hopefully they have seen the light and cough up for this one - still under the camera's two year warranty AND the one year warranty on the original repair.

Re: the high temperatures thing... I live in eastern Canada where it's not exactly tropical during the summer and as far as I could recall had not left the camera in any hot environments (say, a closed up car) to cause this the first time around.  I have been very careful since the first repair and most certainly have not done that and the problem has returned.  In 8 years with Canon gear I did not run into this issue, though I certainly use my X-T1 more than my old 7D.

#39 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

well, I suppose in the beginning they were in denial ( and perhaps didn’t expect this to be a factory fault) but by now they should have come to their senses and realized this is NOT of any user’s doing, there are simply too many cameras showing this all over the world.

If I were you I would get in touch with the head office in Japan and providing evidence which they have to be aware of ( the invoice for a repair that was cause by a camera defect) ask for a refund of the money that you’ve paid.

Get in touch with your Canadian consumer association and see if they are prepared to press on for you (even if you are not a member).

http://www.consumer.ca

See if a TV program is interested in your story and bring this to the attention of others.

#40 CrazyCanuk

CrazyCanuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:23 AM

This has happened for the second time to me with my X-T1 - both the door bulge and the skin peeling.  I'm contacting Fuji to get this taken care of again.  They DID NOT pay for it the first time, insisting that the camera "may have been exposed to high temperatures".  I bitched and complained and they reduced the $120 plus materials (~$20) cost by 15% ($120 is their "base fee" for repairs of "professional X-series cameras" in Canada).  Seems like I didn't bitch and complain to the right people.  Hopefully they have seen the light and cough up for this one - still under the camera's two year warranty AND the one year warranty on the original repair.

Re: the high temperatures thing... I live in eastern Canada where it's not exactly tropical during the summer and as far as I could recall had not left the camera in any hot environments (say, a closed up car) to cause this the first time around.  I have been very careful since the first repair and most certainly have not done that and the problem has returned.  In 8 years with Canon gear I did not run into this issue, though I certainly use my X-T1 more than my old 7D.

Not only should the second repair be at no cost to you but you should insist that they reimburse you the first repair.

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close