A study on aesthetics in the Streets

Stefan

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for reading my post.

I see a lot of regular street shots that tell a story or that have an interesting subject but so often at the cost of composition or aesthetics. I decided to go out one morning and focus on aesthetics, using colour, light subjects, objects and angles. Taking a note from Cartier. 

Please share with me your thoughts, and please share some of your more aesthetically orientated street shots, I love to see them.

Thanks again.

3D Silhouette

Colourful Hangover

Alliteration

This way

Man in Train

Parking Attendant in Orange

Nice work Stefan :)

I have a few, but aesthetics isn't really what I go looking for... but here are are a few.... you may find others on my Flickr page or website.

13798279933_db5ddbf65b_b.jpgLoggia del Consiglio Verona by Paul Crespel, on Flickr

20382702523_9f5e8d558d_b.jpg@ by Paul Crespel, on Flickr

13355566135_3208350d22_b.jpgInnsbruck Shopping Mall by Paul Crespel, on Flickr

14686829979_6cf58650e9_b.jpgNight Train by Paul Crespel, on Flickr

They all fall into many categories, the first three might be aesthetic, but also street, architecture, even possibly a bit abstract.... different things to different people.  We all see the world in different ways, which means we all produce images that are very different to each other... except in camera clubs, where sadly many people can end up shooting the same photos as everybody else.  I feel a bit of a fraud posting images here, because I was a photoreporter for 23 years, and my photos were used in newspapers all over the world, but hopefully I can encourage younger photographers to think and use their brains when they take photos.... you don't seem to need that encouragement, Stefan :)  You're doing great.

Thank you Paul, that means a lot coming from a photographer as yourself. If I had my life over I would have liked to start out as a photojournalist. I hardly find the time to shoot these days keeping my day job, but photography is the one thing I still seem to find the energy for. I look forward to growing and developing the art form. 

They all fall into many categories, the first three might be aesthetic, but also street, architecture, even possibly a bit abstract.... different things to different people.  We all see the world in different ways, which means we all produce images that are very different to each other... except in camera clubs, where sadly many people can end up shooting the same photos as everybody else.  I feel a bit of a fraud posting images here, because I was a photoreporter for 23 years, and my photos were used in newspapers all over the world, but hopefully I can encourage younger photographers to think and use their brains when they take photos.... you don't seem to need that encouragement, Stefan :)  You're doing great.

I for one would welcome your input and support Paul.  As I'm sure anyone on the forum would.

For that matter, I welcome any and all input or support on any image I post.  Sometimes it takes another eye to show us what we can't ourselves see. And sometimes just a little thing can make a photographer see entirely differently.

Hi Clinton.... have a read of this.... it was published last year, and created quite a bit of controversy, I'm on a lot of people's hit lists as a result... but nobody actually argued with what I stated.  The article is not to insult, but rather to provoke people to start thinking instead of just snapping away at anything they see.

Give it a try :)  It was only written and published to provoke thought and discussion.

PAUL CRESPEL PHOTOGRAPHY ARTICLE

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for reading my post.

I see a lot of regular street shots that tell a story or that have an interesting subject but so often at the cost of composition or aesthetics. I decided to go out one morning and focus on aesthetics, using colour, light subjects, objects and angles. Taking a note from Cartier. 

Please share with me your thoughts, and please share some of your more aesthetically orientated street shots, I love to see them.

Thanks again.

1, 2 and 5 stand out! Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work, Stefan.  It's unfortunately rare to see well composed street photos and even rarer that they are in colour.  These make a very nice set.  I'm really liking the man on the train - wonderful expression, a nice simple and graphic composition, and some perfect light on his face.  Wonderful.

You've managed to actually USE the colour to your advantage here, which is what is often missing from other colour street photos, I find. A lot of us shy away from it in "street" mode, I think, as it's often not the focus of or detracts from the focus or story of the photo. (And holding up the B&W tradition, blah blah blah.) Colour can be pretty random in an urban environment and clutter up an otherwise good photo.  Instead, here you've done a great job of making the colour part of the photo.   I've historically avoided that, myself, but am now starting to embrace it and attempting to put that extra dimension into effect. (The mythical "Fuji colours" are helping in that regard, too.  Heh heh.)

I bristle a tiny bit at the suggestion that street photography and aesthetics are somehow unrelated.  The photos by both you and Paul in this thread prove that it can be done to great effect.  I'm always striving to find both that story and aesthetics that make for a photo that is not only beautiful but meaningful (and vice versa).  One without the other is totally fine, but both together, well... then you've really got something.