I wanted to get some thoughts on the difference of using a neck strap or a shoulder strap, like the black rapid straps.

I've been wondering what would be the best solution.  I have both a neck strap and a black rapid, and I know I might need to take the back rapid for longer tests, but, I wanted some other people thoughts.

My thoughts are that the neck strap keep the camera "readier" to shoot.  If you do street photo you can also shoot from the chest/belly (depending on how low you hang the camera).

On the other hand, the black rapid keeps the camera near your hip, to the side.  Also easy access to your hand, but, when shooting street you will do that movement of bringing it up to chest level and might get noticed easily.  Also, I feel it bangs against your body much more, doesn't that ruin the camera in some way?  Another downside is that the strap is attached to the tripod mount which makes it hard to put the camera on any surface because you'll need to put it on it's back.

So, please share your thoughts/experience and preference.

I have a Think Tank Neck Strap and a Black Rapid Metro.  I think they both have their merits and it's important to own both.  At least for me.  I use the Rapid when I'm gonna be moving quickly and shooting with a multitude of lenses, like at an event; and I use the Think Tank when I'm using a prime and doing street, slow moving/methodical shooting.  I also have a Lance Wrist Strap which I love to use when I'm shooting at one location and may have to walk a mile or hop a train to another location.

I'm extremely happy with all three of my selections and I'm looking at adding a Gordy's Thin Neck Strap to my collection real soon as well.

On your notes.  When I run with the Metro, I always grab the lens barrel with my hand.  It doesn't bounce that much when I don't though either.  When I'm shooting street I always have the camera at the ready and only let it hang when I'm resting or observing.  The Tripod mount doesn't bother me because I know when I grab that strap I do not have a tripod with me, and if you want a more stable resting spot then upgrade the mount to the lay flat mount (FRT1 or the Hitch), not the standard mount (FR3).

I'm gonna look at the Optec straps just to see what they are about.

Regular user of the Black Rapid shoulder strap too.

Although I changed for the Metro version of the RS-7 I used to have for those hefty DSLR (D3S, D800,...).

I have been looking for a neck strap at times but as soon as I try one out, I regret not having the shoulder strap, so still sticking with them.

Neckstraps have a nerdy look, I’ll give you that, but keep the camera where is should be for maximum action and protection.

Because of the “ nerdy” look that they give you, you can pretend a certain “ aloof “ , absent minded behavior which will make you look totally inoffensive while shooting people in the streets.

Especially with your retro looking camera!

Shoulder straps are very hip ( literally ;) ) but really force you to carry the camera in a way that exposes camera and lenses to banging into things.

Besides the constant rubbing of the camera on parts that are in general not particularly suited to the contact with expensive objects ( I am thinking of the pocket rivets of jeans for example, a good hipster will wear those, not comfy chinois ).

I see people posting on this forum pictures of the wear of their cameras that I haven’t put on a camera in years and years of use!

True I don’t walk too much with the camera hanging around my neck either.

I could never understand the meaning of wearing the camera floating on a long strap somewhere on the side or rear. If you are not expected to use the camera in next half-hour or so, is anyway better to put it in a bag.

Often the camera is in my ample dark brown soft leather bag, in the central compartment, ready to be taken out when it needs to be used. You can practice your quick-draw either way.  :rolleyes:

When I got X-T1, I was very disappointed for its stock leather strap and immediately put a simple fabric strap from my old camera (curiously also Fuji). The strap has not fancy soft bumpers, anti-slip etc, just strip of fabric 1 inch wide, so it takes minimum space in bag.

I usually wear a shirt instead of T-shirts, and the weight of the camera is relatively small, so the use of the neck strap is not uncomfortable for me. The length of the strap is adjusted to a minimum so that the camera hanging just above the start of the abdomen. In such position the camera very well controlled and protected from something outer while both hands are free (and they can further protect the camera by sabers and pistols :)  )

I am mostly a travel photographer in urban areas where using of neck strap has natural look. When I walk in risky areas, I use strap as a wrist strap just by wrapping it  around the wrist hand. It's a bit tricky and adding of a grip to the camera required, but works fine, can keep the camera for hours without discomfort.

I could never understand the meaning of wearing the camera floating on a long strap somewhere on the side or rear. If you are not expected to use the camera in next half-hour or so, is anyway better to put it in a bag.

years ago, when young and living in Naples-Italy, I wore my camera ( black Contax RTS)  with a neck strap but on and around my left shoulder. Then I often had a 3/4 length jacket on which covered it and hid it from the sight of people who might have want to steal it, and so, when needed I drew the camera quickly out when I needed it.

I stopped doing that because some people ( both police AND unsavory types ) often mistook the black object for a pistol.

I am sure that I risked a lot less with a camera showing from a neck strap than the risk of being shot because they thought I was carrying a concealed weapon!

years ago, when young and living in Naples-Italy, I wore my camera ( black Contax RTS) with a neck strap but on and around my left shoulder. Then I often had a 3/4 length jacket on which covered it and hid it from the sight of people who might have want to steal it, and so, when needed I drew the camera quickly out when I needed it.

I stopped doing that because some people ( both police AND unsavory types ) often mistook the black object for a pistol.

I am sure that I risked a lot less with a camera showing from a neck strap than the risk of being shot because they thought I was carrying a concealed weapon!

Hahahaha great story

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Well Marcelo, you might be a small guy!

That’s why they sell custom straps!

Vidalgo, you could use the oldest trick in the world and that is to have a chain or piece of string (long enough to reach you foot) connected to a 1/4 “ screw.

First you let the string dangle, then you step with you foot on the string and then pull your camera tight against your body and face. Works as a tripod... or, you just crank up the ISO, fuji does this very well indeed!

Vidalgo, you could use the oldest trick in the world and that is to have a chain or piece of string (long enough to reach you foot) connected to a 1/4 “ screw.

First you let the string dangle, then you step with you foot on the string and then pull your camera tight against your body and face. Works as a tripod...

No, I hate this trick. What can I do with dirty end of this chain, start to apply condoms? And trick just doesn't work in snow, water, or sand dune.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Peak Design Slide and Cuff. I have fasteners on my X-T1, X100T, E-M1 and Xpan, switching between them is a breeze. I love a nice leather strap or retro design, but in the end, I picked the most utilitarian design, since I travel a lot and the Slide also works great when I'm on a bike with my X100T on my back.

Peak design has a Slide Lite design coming, for smaller cameras. I will most likely pick up one of those eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I always have used a neck strap preferably a braided cord <cordweaver> or one of the thinktank/domke variety.

I find this less conspicuous than a camera suddenly brought to eye level, also with street photography when used in conjunction with a w/a lens left at chest/waist level the image can be shot from there, people do not notice when left at that level , it also provides a different perspective.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I prefer the cross body straps versus straight neck straps.

I find the cross body gives me the most control over where the camera is as I move or bend over, etc.

I have a Gordy's on order, but have been using the nylon strap off my Nikon 24-70 nylon case. It adds to the retro look because it looks like a cheap point and shoot style strap (minus any logos). A cross body strap will still allow you to "shoot from the hip". With the flip screen of some of the X Series cameras, you can "pretend" to be fiddling with your camera but frame and compose a shot in that manner.

Domke Gripper on all my cameras! It's cheap, robust, comfy and completly inconspicuous.

I wear it either bandolier style or simply hanging from the shoulder (the grippy side of the Domke is so grippy, it won't slide off without you actually wanting it to slide off ;) ). Turn it over to the non grippy side when worn bandolier style and you can use it similar to one of those fancy sling style straps.

Sometimes I wrap the strap around my arm and use it as a handstrap  B)

• 1 month later...

I have over many years tried every type of neck and wrist

Strap,and finally settling on my thin soft leather straps

I have used on my Leica film cameras.

Using these straps as neck and wrist straps,works if you

Keep them soft lots of dubin. Using them as neck straps

I have found these old straps more comfortable and they can be wrapped tight around the wrist.They can still be found at camera fairs and charity shops and worth seeking

Out

Cheers

I use both depending on situation.

For normal use all my Fuji's have Artist and Artisan Cloth Straps. They are light, soft and very comfortable but I rarely use the strap round my neck preferring to carry over my shoulder. When I need to use lower shutter speeds I wind my hand into the strap in a similar manner to the way I used a strop for match rifle shooting.

http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/acam102.htm

The downside of neck straps used over the shoulder is security. Its just too easy for someone to grab the camera off you. In that case I use a sling strap round the body but I don't use over blown nonsense like the back rapid. For a mirrorless system that's overkill. Instead I use a simple loop you can pick up at any climbing store which rock climbers use asa  bandolier for their chocks, wedges and cams. I've threaded a large split ring onto this loop and to the split ring add a LeHook swivel to connect to the camera. the LeHook then clips to a split ring fitted to the cameras normal strap lug

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mammut-contact-dyneema-sling-60cm-p263250

http://www.lehook.co.uk/

TBH the only extra feature that is worth looking at is the SunSniper Steel strap. It is similar to the black rapid but has a steel wire core embedded in the strap which stops a thief using a box cutter on the sling to grab if from you. I don't consider I need that extra level of safety as I use the sling underneath a jacket which keeps the strap and camera out of sight when not in use. If I were wearing it openly then I may consider the extra expense of the SunSniper Steel  worth it. But I'd ditch the stupidly large shoulder pad and change the connection system from the SunSnipers tripod screw to the LeHook system.