After being a long time Lightroom user, i am finally switching to Capture One. (probably)

While i didn't like it at first (long time ago), i decided to give version 8 another go. Could be that i was not impressed with the direction that LR (or Adobe for that matter) seems to be going (or lack there-of!). But i'm glad i did, because CO8 really seems to have matured a lot, and 8.2 is even better. Honestly the more that i use, the more that LR starts to feel like some 'consumer' program. Also of course the fact that it seems to handle xtrans so much better, though not perfectly either, a lot better anyway.

If you're not experienced with Raw software, it is probably a bit overwhelming. In any case there is a lot to get used to, simply because it isn't LR, so things will be different. But for me it looks like it will be worth investing the time and effort, because it really appears to be a step up for both its features and speed/performance, or even customer support.

Quite impressed with the default rendering, while i always turn off the DNR and most of the sharpening, the color and contrast just seems right. And it should because they claim to create their camera profiles by physically getting each and every camera they support into the studio to calibrate the raw conversion perfectly, and it's no cheap software. So you get what you pay for i guess.

Really great new Color Balance tool, the highlight/shadow recovery has been revamped, there is this great 'structure' slider under Clarity that reveals enormous amount of detail without the need for sharpening, particularly awesome in B&W, and most adjustments can be done locally with Layers for endless possibilities! :)

Also of course has all the 'normal' tools that you'd expect like lens correction, keystone, levels, curves, etc.

Oh and Focus Mask is awesome too, kind of works like focus peaking for quickly selecting shots with the best focus.

Anyway, if you're curious i would suggest to watch some of the feature videos on the site, and then get the 30 day trial version like i did:

http://www.phaseone.com/Imaging-Software/Capture-One/Tutorials.aspx or https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDMRz3ssFQH6eHHX5Pw2Lf0DO8UB5siyH

But as mentioned, don't expect to find your way around on the very first attempt, give it time. ;)

Sounds like C1 has improved since I sampled it about three years ago.

Indeed it does sound like that. It is also very much so. :P

The improvement of the processing 'engine' even just from version 7 to 8 is quite a noticeable one already, they are going fast where LR seems to be .. well, less so.

Not to bash LR, i will probably keep using it occasionally as it is a great tool in many ways. And of course i can't throw away the Library and all the work i did in there. -_-

• 2 weeks later...

I've moved from Aperture to Capture Pro One - never liked Lightroom- no regrets-Agree with Maurice's comments above except  the Keystone function I think is a bit weak- DXO Viewpoint  IMO gives better  more natural looking results. 

Bonjour,

Just a piece of information concerning C1 v.8, which might be useful.

in the release notes it is stipulated in the limitations section (p. 7) "The
following functionalities are not supported for Fujifilm RAW files:

• processing/exporting to DNG,
  • auto mask,
  • healing with Repair Layers,
  • focus mask,
  • LCC."

I use version 8.2.2, but the restrictions also figure in v. 8.3 release notes.

My experience:

I have not had to use export to DNG nor LCC, so I cannot comment.

Auto mask gives you an error message if you try to use it.

Healing with repair layers works fine for me (versions 8.1 to 8.2.2)

Focus mask does not work correctly, or if it does it is inaccurate (I compared the zone with green focus point displayed in the camera)

I have put in a support case so that we fuji users can benefit from all the functionalities of C1, but if some of you could do the same this might help. So it is a question of wait and see.

Have a nice afternoon

Jeremy

I'm using Capture One Pro, whatever the latest version is.

My take:

Better colours. More natural and easier to achieve a neutral White balance quickly.

Better Sharpening. MUCH better.

Better noise handling. RAFs are perhaps more grainy at pixel level.

Industry leading highlight recovery.

Slow library navigation (compared to Lightroom)

More expensive (the upgrade cycle might be around the same, but I prefer the subscription model)

It's nice to see Lightroom trying to push forward here, but it's still not as good as C1Pro in my eyes. However, if it does improve I might move my workflow over to Lightroom simply on the basis that the speed is a real advantage over C1. (I'm not sure why the OP spoke of C1s speed/performance as being better than Lightroom?). My experience is the opposite of this.

In my world workflow has to actually flow!

My experience with and impressions of C1, so far, match your own almost exactly. (If you're on the subscription model, you're likely using v.8.3.) I do find navigation in the C1 library slower than it needs to be. The user interface for its export feature is weirdly and sometimes maddeningly overcomplicated — surely it must be possible to simplify this part of the program. One thing I miss in C1 is Lightroom's "parametric" curve control, a great feature. C1 is still using a 1990's-vintage curve control (but then perhaps Adobe has some sort of patent on the "parametric" UI). C1 seems to export — at least to JPEG — a good deal faster than Lightroom, at least on the machine I'm using at the moment. But, like you, I find the workflow itself much faster with Lightroom. If Adobe makes significant improvements in how Lightroom handles X-trans files, I might let that C1 subscription lapse. I expect it will take a while for those improvements to appear, though.

I'm using Capture One Pro, whatever the latest version is.

My take:

Better colours. More natural and easier to achieve a neutral White balance quickly.

Better Sharpening. MUCH better.

Better noise handling. RAFs are perhaps more grainy at pixel level.

Industry leading highlight recovery.

Slow library navigation (compared to Lightroom)

More expensive (the upgrade cycle might be around the same, but I prefer the subscription model)

It's nice to see Lightroom trying to push forward here, but it's still not as good as C1Pro in my eyes. However, if it does improve I might move my workflow over to Lightroom simply on the basis that the speed is a real advantage over C1. (I'm not sure why the OP spoke of C1s speed/performance as being better than Lightroom?). My experience is the opposite of this.

In my world workflow has to actually flow!

My experience with and impressions of C1, so far, match your own almost exactly. (If you're on the subscription model, you're likely using v.8.3.) I do find navigation in the C1 library slower than it needs to be. The user interface for its export feature is weirdly and sometimes maddeningly overcomplicated — surely it must be possible to simplify this part of the program. One thing I miss in C1 is Lightroom's "parametric" curve control, a great feature. C1 is still using a 1990's-vintage curve control (but then perhaps Adobe has some sort of patent on the "parametric" UI). C1 seems to export — at least to JPEG — a good deal faster than Lightroom, at least on the machine I'm using at the moment. But, like you, I find the workflow itself much faster with Lightroom. If Adobe makes significant improvements in how Lightroom handles X-trans files, I might let that C1 subscription lapse. I expect it will take a while for those improvements to appear, though.

Haha - I didn't know or I'd forgotten that Phase one do a subscription version! Must look into that!