Biking Provence Gear Advice

rheistand

Hi all, 

I am relatively new to photography and am not a cyclist however I'm going with a few people to bike Provence France in September (Backroads is the company).

If anyone is a cyclist or knows the region I'd appreciate the input. I'm thinking of getting a small lopro for the biking( we'll cover 20-35 miles a day), you can ride at your own pace, stop and take pics etc. and there will be time in the villages in the afternoon to walk around and explore. 

I just don't want to put too much on my back thinking it will be cool and find out I was wrong.  I'm in my early 30's and reasonably fit but still.

Ive got the x-t1 23,35, 56 primes. I plan on buying a lens or two prior to the trip as I know bringing a bunch of primes isn't practical and I don't yet own a wide angle lens which I know I'll need.

Some standard landscapes( although I like adding close up subjects sometimes with shallow depth of field), villages, landscape portraits of my friends, pics at dinner in tight space, would cover what I'll shoot. I'm not touring Europe other than a couple days in Germany so no cathedrals etc.

I would take a wide angle, like your 23 for the landscape followed by the 18-55 for the rest, if bokeh is your goal, you won't have any more practical zoom.

Or if you have the budget for it, get the 16-55 F2.8, it's weather sealed but NOT stabilized. It can be rather expensive but depending on where you live, you might still have the cash back promo running until the 30th of July.

That lens is large, but with I do not think you would need much else and the bokeh would be sufficient enough for most shoots, it's wide enough for landscape and stays open nicely even if the light drops some more. Maybe take either 23mm or the 35mm for that F1.4 for low light capability. Either one is small enough to fit with the camera, the 16-55 into the travel bag.

As for the biking advice, make sure to leave spot for water (1L to 1.5L), spare battery(ies) with a traveler friendly charger followed by a decent powerbank (5000+ mah) as that one would be handy to have for pretty much all your power hungry equipment.

Take some repair tools with you along those rubber plugs, if you puncture your wheels in the middle of nowhere it's very annoying.

Most of the biking tool can be put beneath the seat in a small carry on bag, they are cheap and can carry bit of equipment safely.

I used to bike in forest a lot when I was a teenager and while I never biked in the Provence parts, I remember traveling there with my parents. Very beautiful landscapes and charming people.

For the rest, I believe you already know what you need to take with you. But as far lenses, the 16-55 would fit the bill very nicely.

Cheaper alternative, the 18-135, OIS and weather sealed too but you won't be getting as nice bokeh and it's it heftier too.

Thanks for the quick reply and advice. Good idea on the power bank. I hadn't thought of that.

I had considered those lenses although I don't have experience with them. I'm gonna go look at them in person at a local camera store and see what I think I could live with size wise.

I wonder if the longer focal length on the 18-135 would be useful. Maybe for compression with some landscapes?

I appreciate the info on the biking. I'm assuming the company that the tour is book through handles breakdowns but I'm gonna call and check.

I was thinking as well that I could handle the camera plus an extra lens in the backpack and be ok, I'm kinda tempted to take more, but that's my unreasonable OCD side haha. I've never done anything like this but it should be fun!

The 18-135mm is a great versatile lens! Wide for landscapes at 18mm and you will be able to do some nice macro shots at 135mm too! I'm not a pro but I found that this lens has a great bokeh! And you'll have to carry just one lens that covers a great range!

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/56-landscapes-with-fuji-x/?p=3485

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/64-fuji-flowers/?p=456

According to the tech specs the 16-55mm is 655g, that's heavier than the 18-135mm with a weight of 490g!

Provence can still be scorching hot at that time of year. So take plenty of water and sunblock. I'd try to keep the weight down as much as possible, one zoom or a wide angle/fast prime combo should be more than enough. The 18-135 would be a good option I think, since you may want to zoom enough to get rid of distractions like powerlines etc... My money would be on the 23 and 56 combo though. You can always make panoramas if you need wider. Don't just buy lenses, unless you know why you need them... My 2 cents.

[...]Don't just buy lenses, unless you know why you need them... My 2 cents.

Fully agreeing with Tom here, I advised you the lenses on a pure theoricic level, zoom = more pratical than primes.

Considering you only have primes, you will need a zoom for versatility, specially if you want to picture of further away subjects.

Try out the 18-135 and either the 18-55 or the 16-55 if you have the money. My personal bias is on the 18-135, it has faults but it fits what I want.

Thanks guys. I bought my x-t1 just a little while ago. I was stupid not to get the 18-135 kit lens with it looking back. I think to your points I'm going to rent the 18-135/16-55 and maybe even the 10-24 and play around with them for a week.  I'll decide from there if I can see myself using any of them for a specific purpose. And hey if I bring too much I'll just leave it in my suitcase, making sure to keep the biking light. 

Actually since I brought up the 10-24, is it worth buying any more non WR lenses without the new 5 stop IOS(if it has IOS)? As I mentioned earlier I'm relativity new to photography and am not familiar with how these companies work, but would it be reasonable to assume they will update the IOS to the new version and WR all the pre 2015 lenses in the next year or so? 

Actually since I brought up the 10-24, is it worth buying any more non WR lenses without the new 5 stop IOS(if it has IOS)? As I mentioned earlier I'm relativity new to photography and am not familiar with how these companies work, but would it be reasonable to assume they will update the IOS to the new version and WR all the pre 2015 lenses in the next year or so? 

The OIS is not always of 5 stops, the 18-55 only has around 3 stops. I am not certain of the number of reported stops from the 10-24. Also, some lens are already large, adding the OIS would make them even bulkier, I assume that's the reason the 16-55 F2.8 isn't stabilized while it is being generally considered as a Pro lens.

As for the WR and OIS, there are currently more non WR/OIS than with it. More might come, but currently Fuji hasn't really made any kind of indication that would go either way. Not certain if they are going to revamp some of the older lenses.

One quite note, WR does not mean water proofing, your equipment can be used under light rain for a certain amount of time but by no means it can go under a downpour and come out unfazed. Some camera on the market are able of such a feat but the X-T1 is not one of them.

Primes are great no doubt.  But if using primes you will also have to consider how you carry them, padding etc.  I'd go with the 18-135, it gives maximum flexibility.  Also at the moment with the current fuji cash back offer it's £579 with £150 in cash back, so a bargain for only £429.  And has 5 stops image stabilisation.  A wider focal length would be nice, but in most instances I'd reckon the 18 (27 equivalent) would do.

I believe the 10-24mm is 4 stops OIS. Given the different uses between that and the 18-135mm, I haven't really noticed much functional difference in the 4-stop vs 5-stop OIS except in extreme low-light conditions, like literally inside a cave. I absolutely love the 10-24mm, but if I were only taking 2 lenses on a trip like yours, it would probably be the 18-135 and whichever fast prime you consider to be your go-to lens that spends the most time on your camera. If I were taking 3 lenses, then the 10-24mm would be hard to leave behind given the huge range you could cover with those 2 zooms. The 10-24 may not be as sharp on the edges as some of the newest zooms, but stopped down a bit for landscapes it cleanly outperforms the 18-135 within the narrower group of tasks that it was designed for.

I feel like I say this a lot on the "which gear should I bring" topics, but don't rule out the 27mm. It's very underrated, weighs nothing, and it's almost like bringing a second camera with how compact you can be when you switch to it.

[...] don't rule out the 27mm. It's very underrated, weighs nothing, and it's almost like bringing a second camera with how compact you can be when you switch to it.

Fully agreeing with you here, but then again I am heavily biased toward that lens since I grew quite fond of it. But let's try to keep the advice toward what the OP has currently and don't need to shed too much money for more lenses.

When cycling in the French Alps (a bit north of la Provence in a region called Pays Diois) two years ago, I had the X-E1 with the 18, 35 and 55-200 with me. I had it in a ThinkTank Hubba Hubba Hiney on a belt around my waist, but I’d put it into the Turnstyle 5 now. And I might add the 14mm plus the MCEX-16.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I rented a 10-24mm simply because it was available locally. Cool lens but I can see how ultra wide mite be excessive for where I'm going. No large buildings or grand interiors. I could be wrong on the usage. I think I'm going to buy a zoom. Either the 18-135 or 16-55 and as most of you suggested bring one of my primes.

When cycling in the French Alps (a bit north of la Provence in a region called Pays Diois) two years ago, I had the X-E1 with the 18, 35 and 55-200 with me. I had it in a ThinkTank Hubba Hubba Hiney on a belt around my waist, but I’d put it into the Turnstyle 5 now. And I might add the 14mm plus the MCEX-16.

Do you think the Lowepro flipside sport 10 would work? 

Do you think the Lowepro flipside sport 10 would work? 

If you pack light, like 2 zooms and a small prime lenses, it should be sufficient.

Depending if you need to put more things in the bag like extra clothes of a rain coat, you might want to get the 15L version just to stay on the safe side.

Now if you already have the 10L version, no need to go grab a new bag. It will be a waste of money, I would rather work around the smaller bag and pack lighter.

I would take 23 mm + 56 mm to trip. That is just enough to carry when you are cycling but covers well most of the situations.

I would even think about X100T. One well known Finnish long distance cyclist used to have heavy DSLR, but he has changed to X100S in the latest trip. 

http://jukkasalminen.com/varusteet/

http://jukkasalminen.com

Remember to take 2 extra batteries and some kind off small tripod. I have 3 extra batteries with me (X Pro1) and Sirui T-025. T-025 is too heavy for cyclist, but Sirui 3T series or Gorillapod would be perfect. 

Bike is my main method of moving around, and I usually carry varying amounts of photography gear with me as well. I actually used to have the exact same set of lenses you currently have along with Samyang 12mm and 55-230mm. They're all great lenses, but I simply missed the convenience of a zoom while biking, so I recently sold the 23mm and got 16-55mm instead.

Nowadays I just tend to take the two zooms along if I go biking, and the rest only if I know I'll need something the zooms can't do (low light performance, better bokeh, wider lens). Constantly switching lenses is just annoying if you want to shoot something quickly. One thing to keep in mind is that 16-55mm may be too heavy for some of the smaller mini-tripods.

Well,

You're probably not going to take my advice on this, but here it goes anyway.   Are you going to Provence to capture beautiful images, or to have a wonderful time with friends, and bring back some great memories?  Because if your goal is the latter, you're better off with an absolute minimum of gear.  Like one body and one lens, and make it a small lens.

Unless your party are all made up of photographers, it is going to get boring really fast for everyone else while you swap lenses and work shots.  And working shots is great for getting the best possible images, but it isn't necessarily the best way to enjoy the experience.  You don't want to be the last guy in to town in the evening, possibly late for socializing, exhausted because you're carrying too much stuff, and frustrated because your photographic expectations are too high.  

I would take the X-T1, the 23 and maybe the 35.  Or just the 23.  It is a wide angle, and you can still do decent portraits and group shots with it.  Set your expectations to capturing great moments and not spectacular images, and make sure you enjoy the moments.  You can take amazing pictures anywhere, any time, if you've got the skill.  But you're only in Provence for a few days out of your life.  Don't let gear get any where near taking the fun out of that.

-------------------------

If you're going with the intention of capturing prize winning photos and are hoping to sell or exhibit them, you should probably take all the gear you can carry.  In a car.

Your 23 for low light or action shots and the 18-135 for multi-purpose and wide zoom range when you have good lighting, which should be most of the day on a bicycle. If you want portability and only 2 lenses, these are the two I would take for an almost entirely outdoor holiday. Another option is to use an XF18 pancake in place of the 23 but then you might consider just using a cell phone for quick, informal shots and keep the faster XF23.

If you pack light, like 2 zooms and a small prime lenses, it should be sufficient.

Depending if you need to put more things in the bag like extra clothes of a rain coat, you might want to get the 15L version just to stay on the safe side.

Now if you already have the 10L version, no need to go grab a new bag. It will be a waste of money, I would rather work around the smaller bag and pack lighter.

Thanks, yeah I haven't ordered it. Ill order one of the two, have a look, and can always exchange for the other.

I was in the Provence for a while. I wished I've had an ultra wide. You don't need them all the time, but there were moments here and there where I just said: "Damn!" I don't think you need a wide zoom, especially if you carry a standard zoom with you. A good Rokinon/Samyang 10mm or 14mm would be fine. No AF, but they're brighter (f/2 or 2.8) and they're pretty cheap, too. If you wanna take it a notch further, you could buy ones for a Full Frame DSLR and get a Metabones speedbooster to go along with it. If you don't particularly need Bokeh, a wide angle and a 18-55 or the 18-135 should suit you fine. I'd take the 23 and/or the 35 for lowlight and exploring in cities and such, but the 18-55 or the 2.8 zoom (can't remember the focal length) is usually plenty enough. I don't think you REALLY need the 18-135 in Provence, unless you want to shoot some wildlife or want to catch structures at a distance. If either of these is your thing, I'd not say against the 18-135, but I'd imagine you would want to take a prime with you since f/3.5 widest can be wanting in low-light.

Also, If weather permits, the countryside can be amazing for astrophotography. Some gear that can go along for such would be very nice. I stayed near a village called Bonnieux (a mile from Chateau de Sade, Lacoste). I had to walk around for only 10 minutes to find places that are practically only lit by the moon and the stars. Just watch out for wildlife. I've seen boar tracks down there, and they are nocturnal. :o

If you go early enough in september, you might still see some lavender, but the harvest ends at August so all you'll see are some patches of wild ones. There will be a lot of sunflower for sure. Either way, It will be a color overload, so thank goodness for the X trans! :D

The roads are not super flat at times, so you might find biking somewhat tough here and there, so be prepared for that. And if you can afford it and manage the load... Try strapping a Gopro with a stabilizer! Or one of those sony action cams are great, too.

P.S. Avignon is just plain pretty. Lyon, Cassis, Apt, were also quite nice. L'isle sur la sorgue was wonderful, and their Sunday market is magic if you're hungry for street food or looking for antique wonders.

I appreciate all the insight, I haven't spoken to anyone who has spent much time in the region. As far as the astrophotography, I have never done any, as I live in the city and you can barely see more than a couple stars at night. I have read up on the technique and will definitely give it a try one night after the rest of my party calls it. 

Well,

You're probably not going to take my advice on this, but here it goes anyway.   Are you going to Provence to capture beautiful images, or to have a wonderful time with friends, and bring back some great memories?  Because if your goal is the latter, you're better off with an absolute minimum of gear.  Like one body and one lens, and make it a small lens.

Unless your party are all made up of photographers, it is going to get boring really fast for everyone else while you swap lenses and work shots.  And working shots is great for getting the best possible images, but it isn't necessarily the best way to enjoy the experience.  You don't want to be the last guy in to town in the evening, possibly late for socializing, exhausted because you're carrying too much stuff, and frustrated because your photographic expectations are too high.  

I would take the X-T1, the 23 and maybe the 35.  Or just the 23.  It is a wide angle, and you can still do decent portraits and group shots with it.  Set your expectations to capturing great moments and not spectacular images, and make sure you enjoy the moments.  You can take amazing pictures anywhere, any time, if you've got the skill.  But you're only in Provence for a few days out of your life.  Don't let gear get any where near taking the fun out of that.

-------------------------

If you're going with the intention of capturing prize winning photos and are hoping to sell or exhibit them, you should probably take all the gear you can carry.  In a car.

No this is well put. It has crossed my mind more than once and I appreciate the reminder. My group is not made up of photographers, and regardless, my own enjoyment would suffer if I allow myself to become tunnel visioned while I am there. I need to make that aspect of the trip look effortless, and I think a zoom can help with that. That said, I also realize a zoom could hurt if I dont stay in the right frame of mind. Beyond being a little bigger and heavier, having more options with my composition, could tempt me into getting a little carried away.

In any case my goal is to be quick and snappy with any pics I take while with my group and as you say try and capture great moments. If I have some time to myself or if I pick a night to head out and try some astrophotography, I can spend a little more time on it then.