Is the DMC-GX8 the X-Pro2 I've been waiting for?

Tom

Panasonic presented the Lumix DMC-GX8 - and it looks like a modern version of my X-Pro1. Same size. Same weight.  The GX8 has everything I would expect from the X-Pro2 . Except for the sensor. Is mFT an alternative?

The GX8 is an impressive camera, specially in respect of its sensor size, the IQ looks really beautiful but I am not certain that the group of users that wants the X-Pro2 would want the GX8, the latter still lacks the finer control that Fuji has blessed us with the X series. And I have to admit that I grew quite fond of the Fuji colors.

In overall, it more like something you would certainly consider if one isn't waiting any of the next generation of flagship cameras from Fuji.

The GX8 has some stuff that I would like in the X-Pro2. Bigger grip (optional is fine), articulating screen, big EVF, bigger battery, dust/splash proof.
 As someone who owned the GX7 and used the X-E2/X-T1 quite a lot, I can say that the GX8 ticks a lot of boxes physically.

GX8 is probably the mFT X-Pro2. But I haven't been impressed by the images that I've seen from that camera. Yeah they were from pre-production but it seems to still have that grainy look to the images. Which is one thing I like about Fujifilm is that they're sharp but clean, not digital glossy clean, but not a grain that loses detail.

Yes. I recently talked with a friend who has moved from X-T1 to the OM-D E-M1. Noise at low ISO and difficult bokeh made ​​him despair. He is now back with Canon FF. Guess I have to wait...

Yes. I recently talked with a friend who has moved from X-T1 to the OM-D E-M1. Noise at low ISO and difficult bokeh made ​​him despair. He is now back with Canon FF. Guess I have to wait...

It might seem weird but why did he swapped to an even older camera model with lower performances ? Is it because of the lens selection ? If so, I can get behind that, the m4/3 has currently the nicest lenses selection among all the formats. Except those super weird tiltshift lenses or that Nikon lens that adjust the front and/or back bokeh level, or something like that...

Seems rather shortsighted to be abandoning a camera line for the latest implementation of another camera line.  Is that what camera manufacturers hope users will  do ? So the minute the FUJI PRO 2 is out in 2016, abandon the M4/3 line and back to FUJI we go ?

To me it's more than just the latest camera body. It's the excellent quality lens line-up FUJI offers at a reasonable price.

As for the GX8. It's a gorgeous looking camera. If you already have some decent M4/3 lenses, it makes sense to upgrade. Even if you buy a whole new setup, it's an interesting choice, but to trade in your FUJI gear to get the LX8 ? .

Seems rather shortsighted to be abandoning a camera line for the latest implementation of another camera line.  Is that what camera manufacturers hope users will  do ? So the minute the FUJI PRO 2 is out in 2016, abandon the M4/3 line and back to FUJI we go ?

To me it's more than just the latest camera body. It's the excellent quality lens line-up FUJI offers at a reasonable price.

As for the GX8. It's a gorgeous looking camera. If you already have some decent M4/3 lenses, it makes sense to upgrade. Even if you buy a whole new setup, it's an interesting choice, but to trade in your FUJI gear to get the LX8 ? .

Aye I agree, I own M43 as I've said and it has taken me a year of tests, comparisons, research and hands-on with multiple bodies and lenses to come to the conclusion that I will end up going (and staying) with Fujifilm.

I really, really like the 15mm F1.7. But that lens alone isn't enough to keep me with M43 because ultimately, I still prefer the files I get from Fujifilm. I am interested in trying out the GX8 but again, the images don't grab me the way Fuji's do.

Yeah shoot in RAW and edit in LR. But when the files look right straight from the camera. I dunno it just connects with me.

Thought so. :(

Panasonic and Olympus have both heavily invested into the 4/3 and m4/3 systems, and even now they are still struggling to keep their head out of the water.

The format clearly saved Olympus from banrukpcy some years ago but nowadays where the mirrorless is getting more common and we have Sony landing with their A7 series, you almost don't have to compromise between camera size and sensor anymore.

The X-T1 (440g) is lighter than the OM-D E-M5 MkII (496g) and the A7RII (625g) is not that much heavier and has no compromise on the IQ. With every new advance of the larger sensor in the mirrorless world the 4/3 system dies a bit, the last bastion that holds them up is really that ocean of lenses, many of them are great primes.

The X-T1 (440g) is lighter than the OM-D E-M5 MkII (496g) and the A7RII (625g) is not that much heavier and has no compromise on the IQ. With every new advance of the larger sensor in the mirrorless world the 4/3 system dies a bit, the last bastion that holds them up is really that ocean of lenses, many of them are great primes.

I'm not sure that MFT is dying. Their sales numbers are still solid. Nikon's 1" system may be short-lived, though. I haven't read much about it lately, especially wrt new lenses. Lenses are the center of every camera system. 

I'm not sure that MFT is dying. Their sales numbers are still solid. Nikon's 1" system may be short-lived, though. I haven't read much about it lately, especially wrt new lenses. Lenses are the center of every camera system. 

MFT system is still well alive, that's true, but Olympus Imaging itself isn't really improving much, they are roughly maintaining their current position without much improvements over the years, stagnation in sales is never a really good sign, specially if you do release new material on regular basis.

Panasonic and Olympus have both heavily invested into the 4/3 and m4/3 systems, and even now they are still struggling to keep their head out of the water.

The format clearly saved Olympus from banrukpcy some years ago but nowadays where the mirrorless is getting more common and we have Sony landing with their A7 series, you almost don't have to compromise between camera size and sensor anymore.

Their lenses but also their tech. 4k video/photo/burst, Starlight AF, DFD (Panasonic), 5 axis stabilization (Olympus).

The 14-150mm is a lens I see when people want an all in one zoom and they just want clear shots. Loads of people who want to photograph family and kids get the E-M10 for example.

Their lenses but also their tech. 4k video/photo/burst (Panasonic), 5 axis stabilization (Olympus). Touch screen.

We have that on the Sony A7 line. You can even toss in the WiFi remote trigger/connectivity. So yes, the larger sensors cameras are catching up good now.

Well, except the touch screen...

Jebus, you would have believed that they would have gotten the message by now that a touch screen is something many of us would want.

But it's only a matter of time before 

It might seem weird but why did he swapped to an even older camera model with lower performances ? Is it because of the lens selection ?

He swapped mainly because of the 'myset' function, where you can store multiple different complete camera setups. And the the internal 

image stabilizer is awesome. But as I wrote he dropped mFT again already. So my question is answered. I will wait for the Pro2... 

We have that on the Sony A7 line. You can even toss in the WiFi remote trigger/connectivity. So yes, the larger sensors cameras are catching up good now.

Well, except the touch screen...

Jebus, you would have believed that they would have gotten the message by now that a touch screen is something many of us would want.

But it's only a matter of time before 

Touch screen is also something that many of us DON'T want and don't want to pay for. I had it back in my Panasonic m43 days and hated it; first thing I did was go to the setup menu and disable it. Hooray for Fuji for not going this way (so far).

Touch screen is also something that many of us DON'T want and don't want to pay for. I had it back in my Panasonic m43 days and hated it; first thing I did was go to the setup menu and disable it. Hooray for Fuji for not going this way (so far).

A decent touch screen can prove to be time saving at time, it's a handy to have the option. It's like the tilty screen, it's not mandatory to have it, but it sure is useful when we have those high/low angle shots.

Technology is advancing at its pace, doesn't matter if you want/like it or not.

A very good example of touch screen on a camera is the Samsung NX1 is very good at it, not only the camera is quite good, the graphic interface is well conceived too. 

How wonderful it is to have all of these choices.  Let's face it, just about every brand (well, most of them, that is - there are some exceptions) keep surprising us with innovation and timely releases.  As a multi-brand shooter (Fuji X, Micro 43, Samsung NX, Canon EOS M, and Nikon), I can certainly appreciate what each brand brings to the table.  To be a specific brand fanboy really limits your abilities to appreciate and use a variety of gear that bring plenty of flexibility to the table.

This GX8 "seems" like a wonderful release - and I am surprised, given my love for micro 43 gear and their typically smaller sizes (keep in mind that I've had both Panny and Oly micro 43 cameras since they began releasing them years ago), was surprised how large that camera is.  Like was stated in the OP, it's the size (or seemingly so) of the Fuji X-Pro.  But that doesn't mean that the overall IQ will be "better" (in particular, the higher ISO's) than the APS-C sized Fuji cameras (basic physics here).  The GX8 seems to be the size of the older (and wonderful) Panny DMC-L1 (a regular 7.5 MP four thirds camera released around 10 years ago or so - which I still have).

I have no doubt if (and when) there is a Fuji X-Pro 2 that it will be a wonderful addition.

Now, I firmly believe that shooting with more than one brand (if you can afford it) is a wonderful way to go.  In some ways, having both Fuji X cameras and micro 43 models complement one another.  I love it....  I may pick up the GX8 in 6 months or so -  have too much gear now.

Take care...

Ben

I much prefer the stills output of Fuji over Panasonic. I much prefer the movie output of Panasonic - hence I run 2 systems. GX8 looks nice but the stills output (judging by samples available on the web) won't persuade me to sell my Fuji gear.

Regarding the comments above re: MFT bodies not being that much smaller than Sony FF.... that is no longer the point. It's all about lens size - there is a massive difference in size/ weight terms between a MFT set of lenses and a FF set (of "equivalent" focal lengths/ max aperture). My shoulders will gladly testify to this (as a previous FF shooter). There's even an appreciable difference between APS-C and MFT when it comes to lens size/ weight.

I agree with Antonio. Regardless of how much complaining Fuji gets, every camera released lately has been a hit. Putting off the X-Pro 2 must mean they're putting the effort in to make it live up to expectations. And the fact that they're willing to delay it in the face of all this demand speaks volumes.

As much as I'd love it now, I can't afford one at the moment. So if it's delayed, but better because of it, then that works out great for me personally. But if it's in my budget, I'll be getting it for sure. I love my X-T1 (mainly for the vertical grip and ISO dial), but I'd really like a rangefinder style for every day use in particular.

Its very interesting glass does play a major part in these decisions I love my fuji lens and the only lens I miss from M4/3 is teh Leica 25mm, don't get me wrong the Fuji 35mm is outstanding and in fact I would say a more versatile lens, but that 25mm just did nice things :)

Interestingly for me being a big fan of M4/3 and having recently pulled the trigger on an LX100 only to send it back, the main advantage of M4/3 now for me is the video, Fuji can't touch it. However I like to have only one camera at a time I like the economy of knowing it intimately and given i often shoot with family in tow, I don't want to be overencumbered etc. That is just me though not knocking having loads of cameras the gear wh*re in me would love that :)

So i gave up on the LX100 path and decided to wait for X-Pro2/X-T2 because I really hope that they will knock 4k out the park. they have obviously decided to focus on it and for me that could be a big problem for M4/3. I looked around a lot before buying into Fuji system I had a M4/3 system and sadly it was all stolen. Due diligence made me look to market before jumping back in and also changing requirement I had bough M4/3's at a time when video was my main goal, ownership of that system caused me to fall in love with still photography. So I looked round and narrowed it down to Sony, Pana or Fuji FF/APS-C or M4/3 ultimately I went with Fuji as the balance of IQ, colours, lens quality and size was best. I took the hit on video figuring that I would get a cheap (ish) Pana body to fill that gap.

Now lets fast forward a year from now the X-Pro 2 is out, the X-T2 is out, and pretend I have the same decision again, it would be even easier. ALl the above advantages plus 4k.

I am salivating at the prospect of a decent Fuji Video implementation. I know that 4k is not a panacea it will have to have decent bitrates, codec and hopefully avoid line skipping. However I just bought the 10-24mm lens and its such a great lens the thought of shooting 4k through that lens on a 20/24Mp sensor is just jaw droppping.

I know a lot of you don't care about video, but I tell you something look at what the GH1 did for Panasonic, and the 5D mkii for Canon, I don't think that can be a bad thing, becasue we all want Fuji to make lots of lovely money so they can give us even more amazing cameras and lenses :)

Sadly I think it will hit Panasonic worse than Oly, as Oly are catching up on video and have nicer bodies overall and then you will have Fuji/Sony and Samsung with very strong video offerings.

G