Petzval 85mm F2.2 in Fujifilm mount anyone?

The lighting and the blue sky in the catch eye really shows it was a nice day. ;) 

At this point, I'm only shooting manual lenses when it's not a paid job. And yes, I love the calculated manual process. Everything is deliberated and thought off. Ironically, I learn more this way. What was it they say with AF, "spray and pray"? :D 

very nice day indeed, shot against the sun ( I was a little unsure because this lens loses contrast easily this way) and in his own shade .

I have to say that having been shooting for years and years on large format cameras ( 4” x  5”  and 8” x 10’) taught me to take my time, shoot very little and do things in a methodic way.

I have never used analog autofocus cameras and only one of my cameras had a motor so I am simply not used to “ spray and pray”.

I also truly hate sieving through hundreds the same shot.

I can remember a few occasions in which even with 4 x 5 I shot several shots because I couldn’t afford risking an expensive session ( hand model, stylists ...) but more often than not I shot 2 or 3 images. Had one developed to test and have a slight adjustment developing if I wasn’t happy. 

But with the processing possibilities of raw and the incredible performance at high ISO of modern cameras I have to say that I don’t care too much about that.

But I realize that shooting for yourself is a great luxury. The thing is that at some point I realized that I first was a image creator and them I became a professional photographer, but that, in fact, I was interested in creating images, not necessarily in earning my daily bread with photography. 

The thing is that at some point I realized that I first was a image creator and them I became a professional photographer, but that, in fact, I was interested in creating images, not necessarily in earning my daily bread with photography. 

The content and composition of a photograph is always the one to catch my eye and make me look twice. Better yet if it comes with technical excellence.

It's easy to forget this in the hustle and bustle of the modern day transfixation on speed, resolution and new technology.

Do not compare a Petzval with old tires. Can you hear the difference between a Yamaha keyboard an old French organ?

What is the taste of a pizza on the Italian isle of Sicily or the one bought at Kmart ? A sunday afternoon driving the river dikes on a fat Harley Davidson

or an old pre war two stroke 125 cc DKW 125 ?

Make your own Petzval !!! Put some glasses of your grandmother's specs together; up till + 10 dioptrie. Put in a tube. Move in a to and from in a second tube. Fixe it to a T mount. You have got now a 100 mm portrait optic. 

actually the black model does exist and it is more expensive than the brass one, the lens was made with Canon and Nikon bayonet so that those users ( the majority in the cameral world) need no adapter.

I have no problem with my Canon>Fuji adapter , I have had a lens turbo and now this one Canon EF> Fuji with stopless aperture 

petzval_product_shot_rgb-02_1.jpg

good luck with making your own Petzval. Let us know when you’ve finished it. Or is it just an empty promise?

Edited by milandro

• 1 month later...