What's the best way to clean lenses?

Prabbit

Hey forum buddies,

Got a few smudgy fingerprints & goopy stuff on my lenses, camera screen, EVF peephole (technical term). What's your favorite way to clean these things? Are disposable wipes (usually used for eye glasses) OK?

Cheers to all

Peter

I am not sure that the wipes used for glasses are always ok ( especially because there is hardly any way to know what’s in that!).

I have used this for years 

http://www.spraywayinc.com/content/graphic-arts-glass-cleaner

The lens pen ( the original, copies don’t have the carbon product ) a very good way to deal with this and it is reasonably safe although the least you clean a lens the better it is.

The best way to clean optical glass is with the special rice paper. Kodak used to be selling it, now Tiffen does.

However, EBC coating on Fujinon lenses are quite robust, so the regular microfiber cloth should do fine. Just don't use any "cleaning fluid" except your own breath and (in severe cases) Eclipse. 

The best way to clean optical glass is with the special rice paper. Kodak used to be selling it, now Tiffen does.

However, EBC coating on Fujinon lenses are quite robust, so the regular microfiber cloth should do fine. Just don't use any "cleaning fluid" except your own breath and (in severe cases) Eclipse. 

Oh...is that what it is? I always wondered.... ;)

Anyone have experience with the Tiffen lens cleaning liquid? I find it leaves residue which is rather annoying to remove cleanly....

the cleaning liquid that I have recommended is specially made for optics and doesn’t damage the coatings. It s not just any liquid. But in this like in anything else there are many churches and staunch convictions.

One thing is for sure clean only if absolutely needed ANY rubbing is potentially damaging. Most importantly, even if what you are using might be soft... it might have caught something small but very hard on its surface, before you know, you are scratching your lens instead of cleaning it.