Do we have any X-users using their X cameras for sports?

Shashinka Ichiban

Part of the news assignment. X100S, small flash under the ramp, SOOC  :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I shoot indoor basketball and can't imagine the X-T1 could handle this.  I have a FF DSLR and 70-200 F2.8 for this and don't see myself parting ways with it anytime soon.  The Canon AF system is amazing.  I have not attempted to bring my Fujifilm with me to a basketball game and don't see myself purchasing the 50-140.  It's a beast and not much smaller than the 70-200.  I wouldn't mind trying it after the 4.0 firmware, but... ehhh... best I don't.  It's not something I need or something I wanted the Fujifilm system for.

I am a retired photojournalist and have traded in my Nikons for the Fuji X-T1.  While I no longer regularly shoot sports, I have shot both high school football and basketball with the X-T1 and the 55-200 lens with excellent results and the high ISO capabilities of the camera were great for the evening football and available light at the state BKB tourney.

I love shooting outdoor sports :) I'm not good at it, but it' such fun ;) My gear? X-E1 + 23mm, and sometimes - 55-200mm, but this lens with X- E1 is too sloooow

snowgliding/speedriding: http://eszka.blog.onet.pl/2015/04/09/snowgliding-polonina-wetlinska/

downtown: http://eszka.blog.onet.pl/2015/05/01/bike-town-przemysl-zawody-downtown/

motocross: https://plus.google.com/photos/103652169047586108443/albums/6150249111825140129?banner=pwa

I shoot sports for a major newspaper and use the X-T1 for the long stuff (55-200 or the 50-140 lenses) and, believe it or not, a Panasonic LX100 for the short stuff. I have had mixed results with my X-T1 and have had to tailor my shooting to the particular sport and use various techniques to get the focus spot on. The promised new improved firmware should really help me though. I have found that my hit rate on in focus images with the current firmware is around 75%, which is pretty acceptable at this point.The sports I have shot are indoor and outdoor track and field, ice hockey, field hockey, lacrosse, basketball, wrestling, volleyball and downhill skiing. The paper seems quite satisfied with the work I am producing and I love the fact that all that heavy Canon gear I used to lug around is now owned by another.

I used my X-T1 to shoot some (about 15 minutes) Major League Soccer a couple of weeks ago.  It was not an enjoyable experience, especially after shooting the first 60 minutes with a D800 (that has a slow frame rate by todays standards,too!).  I'm very much looking forward to any improvements in Firmware 4.0.

I got some decent shots with the Fuji, but missed MANY.  I include this one not because I think it's a great one, but because I like how their legs lined up!

17539873063_faab4f57a9_c.jpg

55-200mm, f5.6 @ 1/1000 iso6400

I used my brace of X T1s and my 50-140mm f2.8 over the weekend at Brands Hatch motor circuit and was very surprised by how fast and accurate the continious AF was. I also use them for concert and music photography where the subjects move quickly and are often in poor light and have also been very happy with the results. They are so much better than my old X Pro1. I'm really looking forward to the new AF functions on the coming firmware update.

I've been shooting sports for more years than I care to remember - changed over to Fuji last year - one of my shots taken with the X-T1 with the 55-200mm lens

A few weeks ago I did some motocross event; I have a post about this in the Adapted Lens thread. About a third of my set I have done with a manual focus lens, a Summilux-R 50/1.4, a handful with the XF 18-55 and the rest with the XF 55-200. It was the first time I have used my X-T1 under such circumstances, and I must say I am quite happy with the results. I used to have an EOS 40D and the AF there was worse, even with an EF 70-200/2.8L.

I am quite eager to getting firmware v4 to see what difference it makes, because I think the camera is capable of better AF. The lenses are fast enough, it's mostly the algorithms that need tuning for better subject tracking. I do not mind some limitations, as long as they are predictable. Right now the AF behaves a bit erratic, making it a game of hit & miss.

17560049538_7b8b579961_b.jpg_DSF3530 by crispian stones, on Flickr

17125346674_2a94aa511d_b.jpg_DSF3809 by crispian stones, on Flickr

17127495183_4275bd02c1_b.jpg_DSF3892 by crispian stones, on Flickr

17560305250_bd3ebd09a9_b.jpg_DSF4776 by crispian stones, on Flickr

• 2 months later...

I've just downloaded the Triggertrap app for iPhone and ordered the X-T1 cable and dongle. You can trigger the shutter via motion, sound and vibration sensor. I think it will open up lots of action sports opportunities. I'll post some pictures once I've got some worth sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Here's another one when it was warmer in germany

• 4 months later...

I found this video really helpful on what makes for good action sports composition. He talks a lot about storytelling - how to make your picture tell a story with a beginning, a middle and an end; about geometrical patterns in framing; and about how to find the right angles to frame your subject to eliminate distractions. It made me see what I'm doing wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Warwick

Guest Ridgeback

Here's a very dynamic sports pic. Unfortunately I haven't understood yet what those guys are doing.

It's called cricket.

There is a saying in England:

Football is a hooligans' game played by hooligans.

Rugby is a gentlemen's game played by hooligans.

And cricket is a gentlemen's game played by gentlemen.