Help Me Out Here: X-T10, USED X-T1, or Keep the X-E2

abjurina

Okay, everyone. I'm really needing some help on this decision. Hopefully some of you can help with this decision process. Here we go:

I am a part-time photographer shooting portraits and weddings.I own a Fuji XT1 and X-E2. I rarely use the X-E2 except for playing around with personal photos and as an emergency backup to the T1. 

Right now I'm trying to decide:

Sell the X-E2 and buy another X-T1 (used).

Sell the X-E2 and buy the X-T10 (new)

Wait on the (rumored) X-E2 firmware update and hope it fixes things that I want to be fixed on the X-E2 (mainly, autofocus).

My biggest gripes about the X-E2 are really its autofocus. I really blame the X-T1 for that, but I feel like I use the X-E2 less because I can't count on the autofocus at all times. I don't feel that the X-E2 autofocus is "terrible", but it's just nowhere near as good as the XT1 and (I assume) the X-T10. 

The other things are minor, but the stupid issue with not being able to preview the photos on the back of the X-E2 when using EVF only is annoying. 

Thoughts anyone? The goal is to make a change without spending too much money in the process. Either way, I'll assume that I have to spend something.

(Background info so you're aware of where I'm coming from: I have an X-T1, was considering a used T1 or an X-E2 as a backup body, then the X-T10 came out and after trying a pre-production unit, I went with the T10. So, obviously I have a slight bias toward buying an T10 as a backup to an T1. I use the Fuji cameras for portrait & dark indoor events where AF performance is a priority.)

The way I'd look at it is this: we don't know when the E2's update is coming and what it will actually do, so you could be in for a very long wait for an update that solves nothing; however, since you already have the E2 and prices for the other two will only get lower, you're not losing money by waiting to see what the E2's update is like. The very worst case is you wait for six or seven months, the AF isn't improved and you can still sell the E2 and pick up a T1 or T10—or hell, maybe even a Pro2—for a little less than they cost right now. Best case is in a few months' time your E2 gets the AF you want and you've not lost a single penny.

If the idea of waiting six months or so doesn't appeal and you want results right now, I say go for the T10. The T1 and T10 are virtually the same. Obviously the T10 is smaller and not weather sealed—and the buffer is much worse if you're one of those rare Fuji users who makes use of high-speed continuous shooting—but it's unlikely these things will ever cause problems during wedding and portrait shooting. The only drawback for portrait shooting is the small body is hilariously outweighed by the 50-140mm, so if you use that lens be prepared for people to be too busy laughing to pose. The AF is identical.

A used T1 vs a new T10 basically comes down to whether or not you can get a really, really good bargain price on the T1. Most secondhand T1s in good condition still cost a couple hundred more than a brand new T10. If you're not patient enough to wait for the E2 update then I would guess you also don't want to wait for a lucky bargain T1 to turn up.

Time to kill = wait it out
Urgently need the upgrade = T10

I have a venerable xpro1 and just love my camera, but when requested to shoot social events (family,I am not a pro) I grab my old Nikon 3100. So I decided to buy the new xt10 to fullfill my needs and jump definitely to "all fuji team" If I were you perhaps waiting for a xpro2 would be perfect, or a cheaper alternative like I did ,just buy the xt10 with xe2 as second body.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have paid a little extra for the X-T1

The viewfinder is amazing as you know and then you have two identical bodies which makes things easier in terms of consistency.

In addition I think the X-t1 will hold its value better when the inevitable X-T2 comes out, plus you would have 2 of them you could probably sell them both to fund the X-T2.

Just my thoughts.
G

I would have paid a little extra for the X-T1

The viewfinder is amazing as you know and then you have two identical bodies which makes things easier in terms of consistency.

In addition I think the X-t1 will hold its value better when the inevitable X-T2 comes out, plus you would have 2 of them you could probably sell them both to fund the X-T2.

Just my thoughts.

G

I think any hope of cameras holding value today is mostly wishful thinking. They depreciate fast, and once the replacement model has been announced, that depreciation virtually spirals out of control. This is made all the worse by companies selling off old stock at low rates before the new model is launched. 

You are probably right that two second-hand X-T1s will just about fund an X-T2, though. If you move fast enough when the X-T2 comes out. And you are definitely right about having two identical cameras, although that's a costly way to buy a spare camera.

I was quite stunned to see how cheap you can pick up an xe-1 from the grey importers or second hand (and also how difficult I'm finding it to shift my D600). I've started to think that digital bodies are basically unsellable and I don't think I'll ever consider anything over 500 quid worth the money considering how quickly the technology is still improving, deprecating the old gear.

I purchased the XE-2 and pre-ordered the XT-1 on the same day knowing it would be a 3 month wait for the XT-1 to show up.
I had considered getting rid of the XE-2 but I've found that I really like it in certain situations. I agree with the previous post...there is

pretty much little resale value in used cameras, so I tend to keep them or give them to someone who is going to appreciate it. I've decided with the XE-2 that I am going to have it converted to infrared by http://www.lifepixel.com when I do eventually get a 3rd body.
If I were you I would keep the XE-2 because from what I understand the firmware upgrade is going to be almost identical to 4.0 for the XT-1.