Fuji long eyecup

azmmount

Anyone have the fuji long eyecup? How is it?

I cheaped out and bought a $3ish Chinese knockoff version from ebay and am finding the top of the eyecup rubber keeps coming apart from the plastic retaining ring and bulging. It doesn't hurt anything but it does offend my delicate sense of visual perfection. Consequently I am spending more of my photo time wiggling it around to get it seated again than I would like. It is also pretty sticky rubber so gets dust and stuff stuck on it so I'm constantly trying to clean it. If the Fuji one does the same things I'll just keep the one I have.

Thanks,

Mike

I love it.  Wouldn't put on the original eye cup if my life depended on it...

It does get dusty though.  I assume this is something that will dissipate as it ages a little.  I just use some scotch tape to clean it though...Takes just a few seconds...

Scotch tape - that's clever - I'll have to try that.

I assume you haven't seen the rubber/holder separation on yours?

Thanks,

Mike

Nope.  I haven't come across that issue at all.  Once I put it on it's stayed put and hasn't given me any issues at all.

I had both my original and the long eyecup come off once but both got caught up in cloths, zipper and whatever there was in my bag and just got moved up a bit, which enabled the IR detector, took me a couple of mins to figure out why everything was put into the EVF while I had Eye Sensor mode enabled...

But back on your question, I love it for sunny days, for grayish days, I tend to prefer the original one, specially if I walk around with just the X-T1 and the 27mm lens. Easier to slip into the jacket's inside pocket.

Haven't used the original one, I ordered the XTL with my X-T1 to match my dSLR experience... It surpassed that and I'm a happy camper, haha! It blocks stray light better than my eye-cup on a D610 or D300s. It will be a no-brainer to order another one with my second X-T1 next to make the switch complete :).

i think because of some small gap i have from wearing classes, stray light still leak through (especially from bright sources above). and i think there are some reflections going on with my glasses in the way. that being said, it's still better than the stock eyecup.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk)

Extended cup is much better for blocking light.  But, still not a perfect fit around the eye.

Extended eyecup is not likely to fall off.  It's actually somewhat difficult to remove when properly seated.

Look closely at the photo below.  The Fuji extended eyecup has two small plastic tabs on the bottom edge that clip in firmly below the viewfinder.  This helps keep the extended cup from wobbling around or sliding off... and also makes it seemingly more difficult to remove.

To remove, pull out on the bottom of the extended eyecup far enough to release the clips, then push upwards to remove.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Macro,

Thanks for the image. Is that the genuine FujiFilm eyecup? The JJC knockoff I have looks *exactly* like that one. Same screws, same indentation areas, exactly the same everything. If that is the Fuji then I'm going to have to find a real Fuji one to physically compare them but I'm guessing I probably won't be able to tell them apart so might as well keep the JJC (it was $7 BTW).

I had taken it off the camera and monkeyed with the rubber hooks that were coming loose and causing the bulging. It hasn't done it since.

Mike

despite the difference shown by Macro, my original eyecup never came off and , as said before, I really had to use some force to extract it before replacing it with the extended eyecup.

I would have preferred if the Fuji extended eycup would have looked something like this Sony one

despite the difference shown by Macro, my original eyecup never came off and , as said before, I really had to use some force to extract it before replacing it with the extended eyecup.

Perhaps Fujifilm changed the stock eyecup design on later models... added locking tabs?  Does yours look like the photo above?

Milandro,

I did not have any issue with the original coming off either.

It looks like those "nubs" that macro show don't actually hold the eyecup on anyway. Those two side hooks keep it on. The nubs look like they would help keep it from twisting and being forced off that way.

I put a Hoodman like the one you pictured on a Canon and disliked it. It added a lot of bulk and didn't seem to help me see that much. Funny, because I remember liking them back in film days.

Mike

I can't use glasses with this eyecup. Sadly, it  was claimed feature - "shooting with the naked eye or with glasses".

With glasses, i.e. eye moved a bit from eyecup, a kind of vignetting occurs and corners of EVF becomes shaded.

The fact that you cannot use your spectacles doesn’t surprise me in the least (although I occasionally do) since using glasses with a eyecup designed to follow the contour of the naked eye would be strange at the very least !

The camera has a dioptric correction after all but perhaps your kind of problem for which you need glasses exceeds the power of the correction.

Never mind, sell your long eyecup (there will be plenty of people who would want to buy it) and either use the original one or go for one of the so many universal eyecups.

Good luck! Mazel Tov!

Diopter correction of X-T1 works fine for me (but can be the real problem with another Fuji camera when correction range is shorter, like X100). 

There is an another moment: when I look to screen I must to use glasses, and if at next second I want to look in viewfinder - I must to remove glasses otherwise the viewfinder will show me invisible corners. And vise versa. So most of shooting time I use viewfinder only, without glasses. It's also applicable to the stock eyecup. 

In portrait orientation this long eyecup is a bit less comfortable for me than the stock one, but in landscape mode serves better.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I have the rubber and plastic separation problem. I hike and camp with the camper a lot and i carry it outside a bag all the time (should slinged, strap mounted with a Peak Performance Capture Clip, etc) and it get bashed around quite a bit... The extended eye cup is great but eventually the part where the rubber is held down by the plastic breaks due to stress and pulling forces.

Result? Super gluing everywhere that the rubber touches the plastic frame does a much better job of binding the rubber to the plastic than the initial rubber and plastic tabs does. Now it's much more robust and working great!

• 1 month later...