Trick to remember EC direction?

azmmount

Hi,

Probably a stupid question but does anyone have a trick to remember which direction to spin the EC dial?

I find myself looking at the gauge in the viewfinder and trying to spin right to increase exposure (spinning right actually decreases it). So I have to either picture the numbers on the top of the dial and spin toward a number (ignoring the vf gauge) or just condition myself to spin the opposite direction that I would intuitively spin.

I remember when I switched to Nikon from Canon a while back being irritated that the Nikon viewfinder gauge was backwards (+ to the left and - to the right) until I discovered that "zeroing the meter" meant spinning the wheels in the direction I wanted the gauge to go. Then I came up with thinking "brighter to darker" rather than "+EC to -EC" and everything fell into place.

Thanks, Mike

I find myself looking at the gauge in the viewfinder and trying to spin right to increase exposure (spinning right actually decreases it). 

Um… Spinning EC wheel to the right actually increases the exposure. Just use a rightward motion of your thumb.

i imagine you're picturing it by looking at the top of the EV dial and spinning with two fingers as: left (counter clockwise) and right (clockwise). i would forget seeing it that way. just imagine it as a rear thumb dial on the back of a DSLR. thumb slides left to under compensate, and thumb slides right to over compensate.

(Sent from another Galaxy)

Yes, Romi, I think that is kind of what I picture. It is that as soon as I put my forefinger on the dial it wins my brain for direction. Then confuses me because my eyes are seeing the indicator move the wrong way in the viewfinder. I guess it's like backing up a trailer. I need to put my hands on the bottom of the wheel so I know when I turn the bottom of the wheel left the trailer is going to go left - if my hands are on the top of the wheel I get confused more easily.

Marcelo, yes the visual feedback on the image has queued me in to going the wrong way numerous times - though only if I'm doing a large amount of EC. I'm just trying to figure out a way to picture what I'm doing where I'll feel more confident in applying EC spur of the moment and less like I might miss a shot of I try. Often I find myself knowing I am going to get a bad exposure but not wanting to possibly miss "the shot" because I've accidentally made it worse by going the wrong way.

Thanks,

Mike