New to Digital Fuji, Battery etc questions

Hey gang, just bought my first Fuji X series, an X-E2. I went with the X-E2 mostly because it was replacing my Nikon DX rig, and I wanted a (sorta) rangefinder feeling setup to replace a SLR setup since I also have an FX setup. 

First before diving in, let me say I'm new and this is my first post so it's nice to meet everyone and thanks for your feedback...

Now...

I'm loving the camera and very much enjoy using it, I grabbed the X-E2 over the X-Pro 1 simply because I liked the feel, weight, and size of it better. It's my EDC camera and I haven't had my FX bag out since buying the X-E2.

BUT now I'm noticing some things I don't like, mostly..... Battery life. 

I have the camera set up to save as much power as you can, focus light off, AF-S 9/10 times, EVF only, etc etc etc, anything that will save power, I have done. But I'm still only hitting the 350+ shots range on a good day, I have a new battery (from Fuji) as I thought that may help, and I've talked to many other Fuji X-E2 shooters that seem to think 300-400 is perfectly fine.... Which it's not lol 

I had a head injury awhile back which effects my process and sometimes my eyes so I tend to over shoot now, but even if I didn't I'd want to do more then a couple hours work on a charge. I've never used a camera that sucked down so much power. And I've used many many many cameras lol It also seems like once it starts to go it's gone. I dropped from 3 bars to the camera was dead in 10 photographs at it's first gig. I was done with my work, so it wasn't a killer, but still, that's something I want to avoid. 

I didn't worry much about battery life at first because I figured I'd be getting a battery grip for the camera and that would solve any issue I might have. . . Only it doesn't look like there is a battery grip for the X-E2. 

I plan on maybe getting a X-T2 or X-Pro 2 (though I'm not sure about the sensor rumors I read on the Pro 2, I like the E2 sensors special kinda magic) in the future, but I really love the X-E2's feel and size. Working with it has been a real joy. So I'd like to get the set up working for me as best as it can. 

So, battery grips, are there any options? Fuji or after market...

Batteries, what's your take of non Fuji batteries, Promaster and others have identical specs and output ratings but I've read they only get 200- shots, which is awful. 

add ons, anything you guys would consider necessary items to gear up the camera? I have screw on metal lens hoods, a beautiful soft release, I DID NOT like how much of the controls were obscured with the hot shoe thump rest. And I'm not crazy about the grip. But I may have missed something...

Thanks for welcoming me! 

Hi Han Solo, welcome and congrats on the X-E2. Great camera.

Battery life is typical as you have described although I don't have the 3 bars to naught problem. If your battery is very new, it may require several charge/discharge to realize it's full capacity.

I've also used wasabi and pisen batteries in my Fujifilm with great results. Performance and capacity is almost identical. If anything, the pisen seem to be a little more durable and self life seems to be better too.

I know not of a battery grip for the X-E2. 3rd party ones, like this are untested and doesn't really look like it's at par with the built quality of the X-E2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OWNUSER-MIG-FXE1-2B-Mini-Battery-Grip-For-Fujifilm-X-E1-X-E2-Camera-/291355545868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d624d10c

Hi Han Solo, welcome and congrats on the X-E2. Great camera.

Battery life is typical as you have described although I don't have the 3 bars to naught problem. If your battery is very new, it may require several charge/discharge to realize it's full capacity.

I've also used wasabi and pisen batteries in my Fujifilm with great results. Performance and capacity is almost identical. If anything, the pisen seem to be a little more durable and self life seems to be better too.

I know not of a battery grip for the X-E2. 3rd party ones, like this are untested and doesn't really look like it's at par with the built quality of the X-E2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OWNUSER-MIG-FXE1-2B-Mini-Battery-Grip-For-Fujifilm-X-E1-X-E2-Camera-/291355545868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d624d10c

It seems to be mostly all fuji endorsed photographers that say the battery life isn't an issue for them lol I've worked with lots of brands, but I can't remember lying to any lol

I did find those AM bat grips, but I thought the same, that they looked iffy at best. 

Thanks, I really love it, I've spent time with pretty much every platform I can think of and really enjoy using this. 

The wasabi ones I was looking at, so I'm glad to hear that cause someone said they only hit around 150-200 and my jaw dropped. 

- XTC I've tried 4-5 they were all pretty so/so IMO, they all just got in my way lol

I have an X-E2, X-T1, and an X-100T. Overall I think they are great cameras with excellent image quality and they are more fun to shoot with than my DSLR. The battery of my DSLR definitely lasted longer, but I understood the X cameras wouldn't have the battery life going into it. First, the fact the camera is mirrorless means the sensor is always on. Second the batteries are physically much smaller and lighter, though I haven't looked at capacity ratings. I bought wasabi batteries for the w126 battery and two other brands for for the X100T. Most of the time the batteries do well overall, but I think it fair to expect only the rated number of photos. I have noticed some rapid draining recently with the X-T1, and was trying to figure out what it was that caused it. I'm not sure if it is related to the new firmware or the extra warm temps we are experiencing. I had 2 Wasabi batteries deplete within 50 images, but after I recharged them, they seemed to be back to normal. Normally they are about equal to the Fuji batteries. I don't mind carrying a few extra batteries over the extra weight and size of the DSLR. I've found the battery life of the X-100T, which I've heard people say to be worse than the other X cameras, to actually be better.

I have the XE1, which has identical dimensions.

As the others have said, your battery life is normal.  I ALWAYS carry a spare in my pocket.  If I was going on a remote journey, I'd carry 8 batteries.  I own 4 right now.

I can recommend the Really Right Stuff hand grip for the XE1/XE2. It's modular, consisting of the bottom plate, handle, and left side L-plate.  I got the bottom and the handle.  It's really nicely shaped and machined.

First disable image review.

Then shoot thoughtfully when on a journey. No you don't need 20 pictures of the same thing to decide later on which one is the best. 90% of the time it's the first one anyway.

Then with 1 battery + 1 spare you can easily make 800 pictures so really that should last you 5-8 days if you're not a japanese tourist.

you guys are getting 350 shots? sweeet. the batteries are small enough to easily carry several. i'd avoid the RRS hand grip (which is actually for the X-E1 - you just need to make a tiny notch to fit the X-E2) and just get a third-party one at a substantially lower price.

(Sent from another Galaxy)

As mentioned, screens and sensors draw power when you're "idle", unlike a dslr which is only powering the top LCD panel and a couple of digits in the viewfinder. Try shooting your DSLR with live view on all day to see just how much battery that screens and sensors can draw.

I use an Ex-Pro High Power Plus+ 1260mAh I got off Amazon for £10 as a second battery, I'd get more if I needed them, they're pretty good value.

• 2 weeks later...

Battery life of X-E2 is less than by DSLR, but it is not a problem. I carry two spare batteries branded MaximalPower. I think I purchased them for around € 30 for a pair, and they work really well! I never run  out of power unexpectedly.

Hope this helps!

Hello

I've just purchased an X-E2 having had a panasonic that unfortunately went through the washing machine. It was a great excuse to get a new camera!

I'm new the the x series camera's but I'll be honest I'm finding all the camera options a little confusion so I'm wondering what you would suggest as a must have guide to learning about the camera.

I've taken some great pictures but I'm always having to look back at the image just to make sure.

I was a little surprised that the image from the view finder and what the sensor captured are not the same but maybe I'm getting confused with the Olympus camera's.

Can the camera be setup so that it displays the image automatically.

Cheers

had a panasonic that unfortunately went through the washing machine.

Unlucky...

a must have guide to learning about the camera.

Well the most obvious printed choice would be from Rico Pfirstinger via fujirumors particularly his e-book The Fujifilm X-E2 - Beyond the Manual (there are links on fujirumors with a discount code.). beyond that there are a gazillion posts if you google "X-E2 tips" or "X-E2 hints" - that might not seem a helpful suggestion but I found it useful when I first had my camera (X-E1) to read all sorts of stuff, good and bad.

image from the view finder and what the sensor captured are not the same

Assuming you mean the *exposure* of the intended image, there's a menu setting [ Menu > Set -up 1 > Screen set-up > Preview Exp. in manual mode > toggle on or off] which does that.

(page 89 of the X-E2 manual here)

I assume you're ok with the basic setting telling the camera to show the image actually taken for a time in the viewfinder (also controlled via the same 'Screen set-up' settings menu option).

But in a nutshell I found there was a ton of stuff in the camera that just took a while to get used to, like the film simulations, highlight/shadow tone, or even basic things like setting up your preferred viewfinder layout (I like the 'thirds' grid and the horizon level...) . After using my X-E1 for over 2 years I still appreciate the basic usability of the options available, and am still making small tweaks to the way I'm using the camera.

• 2 months later...

For me a battery usually lasts for around 400 pictures, which is also around what fits on a 16 GB memory card, so I've gotten into the habit of just replacing both at the same time. I use the EVF almost exclusively in EVF + sensor mode, the battery life is significantly shorter when the back LCD is active a lot.

It would be nice if the battery indicator was more reliable, but I more or less use the picture counter as an indicator nowadays.

Yeah. Still have my D7000, and yes, the X-E(1 or 2) is a bit of a battery hog in comparison. (And the battery is considerably smaller.) But better than my D800 w/GPS unit. You simply have to remember to carry a spare in your pocket - it's not an option. Mirrorless is a different animal - it's a video camera -  because of the EVF - it's like running a DSLR in live-view mode all the time. Try leaving the Nikon in live view and see how long the battery lasts...

The viewfinder can trick you - if you have a lot of the info on screen - as it's east to accidentally frame with the focus scale or exposure scale. Or you simply see things in the image you did not notice because they were covered by an info display. Try turning it all off. I guess it would be nice if one could set the LCD to show all info (histogram, etc.) and the EVF to show clean except for AF point.... 

Enjoy your X-E2 - it's a fine camera.

Hello

I've just purchased an X-E2 having had a panasonic that unfortunately went through the washing machine. It was a great excuse to get a new camera!

I'm new the the x series camera's but I'll be honest I'm finding all the camera options a little confusion so I'm wondering what you would suggest as a must have guide to learning about the camera.

I've taken some great pictures but I'm always having to look back at the image just to make sure.

I was a little surprised that the image from the view finder and what the sensor captured are not the same but maybe I'm getting confused with the Olympus camera's.

Can the camera be setup so that it displays the image automatically.

Cheers

With regard to your point about the sensor capturing a different image to what you saw in the viewfinder, this might be due to the jpg processing. The jpg you get includes a number of corrections, most likely being lens correction. Your lens tells the camera what it is and the camera's firmware has a set of corrections specifically for it. If the camera corrects for barrel distortion, it will make the picture like a pincushion and crop it to the rectangle and visa versa. Take a RAW+Fine image and switch between the two and you will see what I mean.

If it's a question of exposure, the viewfinder is just a viewer, it does not have jpg maths applied to it so things like colour balance and exposure will be different to the final image.

Having spent much of my life shooting film, I would rather carry a tiny battery than 15 extra rolls of film to get the same number of exposures. 20 seconds to change it, and I am back shooting again. My Nikon D700 battery is enormous in comparison and so is the camera. I just can not get exercised over a battery that only does 300 or so shots without changing.

• 5 months later...

I stick with official Fuji batteries (despite the impressive high price) for my X-E2.  I tried a couple of other brands available in the US and the best ones disappointed while the worst totally suck.  I've read that Pantona batteries are very good but they are not available in the US.

I stick with official Fuji batteries (despite the impressive high price) for my X-E2. I tried a couple of other brands available in the US and the best ones disappointed while the worst totally suck. I've read that Pantona batteries are very good but they are not available in the US.

I have a good experience with Hähnel batteries. For Canon, my preferred brand was Duracell, but they seem not to have batteries for the Fuji X-series yet.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I have a good experience with Hähnel batteries. For Canon, my preferred brand was Duracell, but they seem not to have batteries for the Fuji X-series yet.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sadly, all sources I can find on-line read very explicitly "Cannot ship to United States".  Presumably some sort of US vs EU thing.

• 2 weeks later...

U.S's IATA regulations have changed and they are now imposing very stringent control on shipping of Li-ion batteries either in or out of the U.S.

All Li-Ion batteries MUST be shipped separately from any other items. Max. 2 Li-ion batteries in one box. If your batteries comes with a charger unit, it will be removed and packaged in a separate box. After which you have to ship them as separate packages, I. e. 2 separate shipping charge. Needless to say, it will increase cost dramatically.

Unless the overseas supplier adheres to these regulations, IATA will not allow the package to land on U.S soil. Most seller will just decline to sell to avoid all these hassle.