Help me choose my first Fuji X

Filippo

X-PRO1 and X-E1 have first gen sensor that was improved in many aspects for x-E2 and X-T1 (and now X-T10); X-E1 also has an electronic viewfinder that is so slow that you'll be anticipating all photos you're gonna take; X-PRO1 used is ridiculously expensive. In brief: don't buy them.

You can go for X-E2 that is good overall.

In my opinion X-T1 is very good but still lacks important features that I want for it's price.

Better buying a X-T10.

If you want to go for something useful and cheap go buy a used X-E2.

The xpro1 is pretty cheap nowadays. You can get it new for around 400euro

Complex plight.

You seem to be enticed by the OVF and that seems to be determining your choice more than anything else.

That thing alone compels you to buy either yesterday’s camera with interchangeable lenses  (however one puts it the X Pro 1 is an older camera with less modern features than other X camera) or to buy a X100 S or T.

Frankly speaking ( but I respect your choice) the OVF might turn out to be more an hang up than anything else.

But then again it is your money, your camera and you have to live with your choice.

Hello, I'm Vincenzo from Rome, I use Fuji X-T1 from 1 year, before I had X-E1 and X-E2, with Fuji I leaved after 20 years all my Nikon equipment, D700 + Nikon lens.

X-T1 is an incredible project, if budget is too high, buy X-T10, I tried during workshop in Rome, is almost a X-T1, much better than X-1Pro.

You can visit my Fuji shot on www.photolysis.net and www.mediaforme.net.

Best Regards 

Vincenzo

I was a complete newbie to the fuji system and I chose to start with the X100T as I still have a full Canon 5DIII kit to fall back on.  For travel/street/general landscape, I don't think I could have made a better choice. Not only is the IQ superb from this little camera but the fixed focal length makes me really think about composition before I press the shutter.  the wifi is pretty cool when it works :) and I can get shots uploaded to FB or Instagram in a matter of minutes after shooting which is great for nights out with friends.  The X100T is a great intro to the x-system, after 20 years shooting Canon, it has me thinking of going all in with Fuji. 

There are no perfect cameras. Only ones which are best for YOUR specific tasks. I have 3 different systems which I use regularly; each one for different specific tasks. You will find opinion varies greatly based in what others are using their cameras for. I think YOU are on track to pick one that works best for YOU. Based on your use cases, I think the flaws of the older bodies is not all that important. Figure out if you can actually live with the fixed 23mm FL. That is key to your decision, IMHO.

You can do that now. Put on a standard zoom and tape it to the equiv focal length and go out and take the photos you like to take for a week straight. If you are happy with the results without moving the zoom, then get the fixed X100. If not then x-pro1 or x-e1. For your outdoor use case, the EVF mode will be best with wider FLs that are outside the "normal" range. As cheap as X-pro1 is the X-E1 is even cheaper.

Lots of good points in this thread, there is no RIGHT camera, only the one that is RIGHT for you.

If you are worried about stealth then I think thats less about OVF vs EVF and more about Rangefinder Form vs SLR form factor.

To that end I would recomend a SH X-E2

Its the right form factor, the EVF is less laggy than earlier models and the AF is improved, plus there is the outside chance it will be brought up to the standard of the X-T10 before the end of the year. The fact that the new prices are still viturally the same as the X-T10 makes me think that the firmware is coming otherwize Fuji would have dropped the price. I think they are willing to lose sales on the X-E2 for the next few months knowing that a) that will help X-T10 sales and B) when they do drop firmware 4 for X-E2 then it will give the sales a bump and they want the price to be at current level when that happens.

I honestly believe that if X-E2 gets the firmware of the X-T10 it will be the best ILC for street in the fuji line up.

ANother consideration here is lenses. Ie its great to get a Fuju X-T1 but for an example budget of £1000 in the UK SH you could probably get an X-T1 and 1 lens with a mix of a good deal or buying SH.

If you get the X-E2 you will probably save enough for a 2nd lens, this is a big considerations, becuase if you are only going to get one lens the temptation will be to go for the kit (great great lens, not a bad choice)

However if you have 2 lens this gives you options, Kit plus prime, two primes and save yourself the expense of selling the kit down the line.

I would have a think about your overall personal lens roadmap and remember, its always better to have more glass and yesterdays camera than less glass and the latest camera. Becuase todays camera will be yesterdays camera in a year you can buy it then for less and at that point you have lots of nice glass to use it with and loads of lovely pictures already :)

I mean lets look at X-T1 its a phenomenal camera, but the X-T2 will drop lets say Sep 2016 just over a year away, the X-T1 at that point will probaly be available for £350 odd on ebay, boom

EDIT

In interests of transparency, and while I still agree with the above I have a confession I just bought an X-T1 I got a fantastic deal on the kit with the 18-135. Ideally I would love to keep both it and X-E2, but reality is that I will probably sell X-E2. I am going to try both. I may still sell X-T1 because given teh deal it would still make the 18-135mm the cheapest I have seen it anywhere SH for a new lens, so watch this space.

If....... conjunction introducing a conditional clause, something that isn’t here and now and that, as far as we know, here and now, might never materialize.

The future will naturally bring better cameras, with better everything.

One can spend a whole life waiting for Godot and for the next camera to come... and take no pictures in the meantime........... but we live here and now.

Better a ( not-so-bad) camera in your hands than a greater one in the mind of the engineers.

If....... conjunction introducing a conditional clause, something that isn’t here and now and that, as far as we know, here and now, might never materialize.

The future will naturally bring better cameras, with better everything.

One can spend a whole life waiting for Godot and for the next camera to come... and take no pictures in the meantime........... but we live here and now.

Better a ( not-so-bad) camera in your hands than a greater one in the mind of the engineers.

I completely agree. After the first excitement when I got into the photography world now I actually don't care about equipment anymore... And well, I don't have money to always buy the last camera/lens. One needs to just go out and shoot, especially when he's not a professional photographer and should not care about many technical aspects of the equipment.

Anyway, as I said, I'm fond of the rangefinder style and for now I think I'm going for the xpro1. Probably with the 18 and 35 to start off. Price less than 1k euro with cashbacks