Did the Fuji X-T1 FW 4.0 really improve the AutoFocus of Fujinon lenses? The Answer is in these Polls (one for each lens)

Did FW 4 really improve the AF speed and accuracy of your Fujinon lenses?

Some say the improvement is remarkable, some say it’s minimal and some can’t see any change in AF-speed and/or accuracy in good or low light. The feedback is very different (just check out the various X-T1 FW 4 threads here). Moreover, the perceived AF-improvement varies a lot according to the lens you use.

So who is right? Placebo or real improvement? There is one thing FujiRumors can do: put all your feedback into a Poll!

I decided to invest a bit of my time in my holiday on the sea with my buddy (while his kid is finally (!) sleeping icon_wink.gif ) to launch a Poll for each lens. So, if you own one of these lenses, and tested FW 4 on it, you can let us know if you see an overall AF improvement. Just pick out an option of the poll.

Sure, this isn’t a scientific way to test an eventual AF-improvement, but since FujiRumors is the largest Fuji X related website, we can quickly collect the opinion of hundreds (thousands?) of X-shooters, who tested the lenses in the most different situations, and see what the majority of you think about FW 4.

Of course, I’ll take it for granted, that you’ve checked out the list of tips that helps you to make the best out of Firmware 4 here. and tested the AF-speed/accuracy with the right settings.

happy voting on FujiRumors here: http://www.fujirumors.com/did-the-fuji-x-t1-fw-4-0-really-improve-the-autofocus-of-fujinon-lenses-the-answer-is-in-these-polls-one-for-each-lens/

The real problem in conducting a poll or a survey on this matter is that all answers will be subjective because, none or very few of us, have actually conducted a meaningful and replicable test to camera and lenses prior to the update.

It will be still possible to do both by re installing the old software, put a camera through a MEASURING and Quantifiable test, then install the new software and test again. Then compare.

Otherwise all answers will be subject to large amount of observer expectancy effect ( which is the real name, in this case, of what you have called placebo effect).

I too haven’t conducted a test that I could exactly replicate and after a couple of months of speculation and anticipation (and of being told by the ones who were given the first X-T10’s to test  how fantastic the new performances will be)  then comes the firmware which is supposed to turn our camera in the the next best thing since sliced bread and everyone starts partaking of the slices of the loaf as if it were hot cakes!

Once the waves caused by the the feeding frenzy have settled we start asking ourselves if the gift of a new software was as good as we were told it was going to be and we start looking into the mouth of this horse, counting teeth and verifying its age.

First of all I have to ask, have you read the manual with the explicit mention of the improvements?

I have the feeling that, as in most cases, most people haven’t!

Anyway.

My opinion is that the new firmware has improved ( greatly and noticeably, my impression) the autofocus performance ( in single shot mode) of my 60mm and 35mm, not the speed, but the accuracy, by reducing or eliminating hunting, in most things with the exception of low light low contrast white subjects.

The ( single shot) performance of the autofocus of the 10-24mm and the 50-230 is the same or ( for the 50-230) even a little less than it was before ( again, just an impression) 

The tracking is a different thing, this is a completely new function in many ways and very well performing, but I use and will use this function very little indeed in my photography.

Where the expectations fail miserably is the eye recognition.

Whereas the face recognition works just fine, the eye ( left eye is the subject left eye!) recognition is erratical to say the least.

Because of this it is, in practice, unusable because works with no exact predictability.

So, besides other improvements which one might or might not  ever be aware of or use, the new firmware makes this camera more usable for the action photographer but when it comes to a person mostly shooting stationary subjects it has somewhat improved the performance of the oldest lenses of the system which were seriously lacking performance in the accuracy department ( the transitional speed is the same , I am afraid ).

What I would have liked to see are some modes that are present on cheaper, amateurish cameras such as the humble X10 that I also own.

The X-10 Advanced mode ( I use the portrait setting, which is shooting 2 or 3 pictures at the same time, one sharp and or or two less than sharp and then puts them all together in one shot) and the EXR mode ( which makes the camera usable by anyone so the occasional shooter doesn’t have to know anything about anything and the camera uses an intelligent mode to set itself INSTANTANEOUSLY in the best possible mode by analyzing the shot and deciding what kind of mode that would have to be)

@Patrick FR

this thread duplicates much of this other one

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/658-did-the-fuji-x-t1-fw-40-really-improve-the-autofocus-of-fujinon-lenses-the-answer-is-in-these-polls-one-for-each-lens/?do=findComment&comment=7407

This forum is showing an increasing amount ( now, let alone in a few years!) of threads that are duplicating another thread, under these circumstances soon it will become extremely confusing for those who answer because they no longer will know whether they are answering one thread or one of the many similar ones.

The staff should, whenever possible, amend threads and and incorporate whatever parts are common in order to keep things together.

Also it would be necessary to remind people to try to see whether some other thread already exist before posting something that might be a duplicate of other things already posted.

I know from different fora that this is one problem without a solution but it is very important otherwise one might as well periodically throw out the entire content of the forum  ( what’s the point in keeping infpormation if it becomes impossible to retrieve it since it is diluted in countless threads on the same subject?) and save expensive space