Old fujinon lenses

Or you take the Fujinon lenses in M42. Here's a database http://m42lens.com/ (just choose Fuji as vendor). You can use any M42 to Fuji-X adapter. I'm happy with it. Here's an example with the 50mm f/1.4 M42 with the very expensive (but great) Novoflex adapter.

16243948373_3902b6c342_c.jpg

Bright-eyed contentment by KwyjiboVanDeKamp, auf Flickr

And here you can see many other of my M42 shots https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=93978937%40N07&tags=m42&view_all=1

The old Fujica/Fujinon lenses have a tab on the rear that causes the aperture ring to wedge on the M42 adapters I have used. Some folks have taken the route of filing off the tab, but that renders the lenses useless on Fujica film SLRs.

I have yet to find an M42 adapter that allows the Fujica lenses to work properly without permanently modifying the lens.

Any recommendations?

You're right Chris. Have the same problem with the expensive Novoflex adapter. But if you won't use the lens on old Fujicas it's no problem to filing off the tab. I'm a folk ;)

My problem is I have a 1970s ST 801 (gift from my uncle) that I shoot with occasionally so I need that tab! :)

My problem is I have a 1970s ST 801 (gift from my uncle) that I shoot with occasionally so I need that tab! :)

For using old M42 Fujinon lenses with tab with an adatpter on a modern digital camera it could be helpful to use some kind of distance ring/O-ring between lens and adapter so the lens isn't screwed completely to the adapter. If you do so you should know that you can have some issues to focus to infinity and to set slower apertures.

Sorry for my bad online dictionary translated german-english :lol:

• 7 months later...

reviving old topic:

search amazon for: "xcsource adapter fuji m42" (I think it's UK seller)

see: http://callumalden.com/post/110549790787/fujinon-m42-fuji-x

This a non-flange adapter.  So I believe you will need to modify the aperture pin, but the link shows that the aperture transmission pin on Fujinon m42 lenses will clear the adapter when fully screwed in.

Otherwise it's trial and error to find one that works.  FYI a lot of the flanges can be removed from adapters, which is good for M42 lenses like the Takumar 50mm 1.4 that have M/A switches on the lens itself and also need to have a non-flange adapter so it can focus to infinity. 

A EBC Fujinon 50mm 1.4 m42 is coming my way and I will test.  I currently have a Fotodiox adapter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I bought one of these adapters and it works fine with the tab on the Fujinon lenses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bokkeh-Mamiya-SX-Fujinon-EBC-M42-to-SONY-E-mount-NEX-Lens-Adapter-BlackPinBlock-/221986520790?hash=item33af6d7ed6

- Chris

Hello Chris,

it has been some time since you’ve bought this adapter. Are you still happy with it?

I have some concerns about using the regular aluminum bayonet adapters because I had some problems with an über-cheap one bought for a pittance on line.

It did work, as far as performing what it was supposed to do, but I have the suspicion that some dirt on the sensor might have come from the adapter itself.

Now I wouldn’t want to repeat that particular experience.

I have a couple of more complex adapters ( tilt and lens turbo) but I’d also like to have an adapter with no lens element in it.

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

I bought one of these adapters and it works fine with the tab on the Fujinon lenses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bokkeh-Mamiya-SX-Fujinon-EBC-M42-to-SONY-E-mount-NEX-Lens-Adapter-BlackPinBlock-/221986520790?hash=item33af6d7ed6

- Chris

Good morning,

i have recently bought an ebc fujinon 50mm f1.4.

Sadly, the lens had the tab removed.

I would like to ask if the adapter mentioned will allow manual aperture change.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Indeed, I have the Fujinon 55 f1.8 which came witha 1971 ST 701 ( the first reflex with interchangeable lenses that Fuji ever made) . The lens has a pin but not tab. Unfortunately it also has no selector auto/manual like for example Pentax Takumars have. 

This makes it impossible to use with some adapters (those without a flange inside such as my kipon tilt adapter).

Other than this this lens is spectacular and found it in incredible state.

• 1 month later...

glad to see this is somewhat still being talked about. I have given up on my EBC 50mm 1.4.

And just to be clear there is a difference between the aperture pin (easily adapted) and the lens tab on these lenses being talked about, which doesn't allow for the lens to be fully screwed in the adapter.

The one I have the aperture ring has colorful markings (red blue and green) along the ring.  I will take a picture of it.

Also, not all are created equal (non-EBC):

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2013/04/26/fujinon-50mm-f1-4-m42-screwmount/

Edited by r_kt

• 1 month later...

This might be one of the better explanation of the aperture tab....Lug. the st801 was an open aperture​ metering camera. The lug was to assist with metering calculation and did not require stop down metering like other slrs of the time.

"open aperture makes the M42 mount non standard. The EBC lenses will not be able to mount completely on some other makes because of the open-aperture metering lug on the back of the aperture ring. "

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Fujica_ST801

Here too:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Fujica_ST801

Edited by r_kt

• 1 month later...

Fuji SLR analog is with M42 thread. Light measure: stopping down, the screen gets dark.

Fuji SLR analog is with M42 thread plus tab, light measure, screen keeps bright

Fuji SLR analog with X bajonet ...........................................

Fujifilm X digital with X ( not the same ) bajonet.

Ask Fuji in Japan why they changed the X for a different X

and you will receive some foolish answers. 

Pinoccio should not lie ....