Firmware 4 Face Recognition Feature is not accurate: re Eye Selection

Couple of people contacted me that the new Face Recog in FW4 is not accurate in that when you pick 'auto' eye, while it supposed to focus on a closest eye, it picks the other eye. I have not noticed it so I had to check myself. When the face is not parallel to the plane.... I tested it (not extensively though) and I think these people found a possible issue with the firmware. Here is a photo I took at night time the other night.   I set the Face Recog on "auto" which is, in accordance with Fuji description, means the closest eye.   Yet it clearly focused on the farthest eye.     Has anyone else noticed it, or nobody uses Face Recog anyway in order to have PDAF on?

DSCF5720-X3.jpg

Couple of people contacted me that the new Face Recog in FW4 is not accurate in that when you pick 'auto' eye, while it supposed to focus on a closest eye, it picks the other eye. I have not noticed it so I had to check myself. When the face is not parallel to the plane.... I tested it (not extensively though) and I think these people found a possible issue with the firmware. Here is a photo I took at night time the other night.   I set the Face Recog on "auto" which is, in accordance with Fuji description, means the closest eye.   Yet it clearly focused on the farthest eye.     Has anyone else noticed it, or nobody uses Face Recog anyway in order to have PDAF on?

DSCF5720-X3.jpg

Ok.  Now don't flame me or hate me.  The initial impression I have after popping off maybe 30-40 shots, indoors is:  IT SUCKS.  I used the X-T1 with my 18-55.  Very few images using zone focus came out, and less than 1/2 of the eye detection images were in focus.  I need much, much more shooting, but for now, that is my opinion, and Im sticking to it.  My next steps are to test the X-T1 with the 35mm F1.4  We'll see where this goes.

I also did see the incorrect eye focusing when it's on Auto.

The problem is that you have to dive into the menu every time to change the option left or right eye. This isn't an option when shooting people who are not static.

I really wish Fuji will combine the Face Detect function and Eye function into one so you can assign a Fn button to it so we can easily switch between left/right eye.

Or make it that the Eye function can be assigned to either a Fn button or the Q-menu

Hope this will make it into FW 4.10

(Already send Fuji Tokyo a mail about this, and off course a "Thank you")

Bad news: this is a problem indeed, sometimes the camera choses wrong eye. Good news: it shows you which eye it chose right away, so you can refocus.

But then again… face detection doesn't work at all for faces that are upside down in the frame, which is bad news for family and boudoir photographers alike.

PS: It confidently detects my cat's face…  :blink:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ok.  Now don't flame me or hate me.  The initial impression I have after popping off maybe 30-40 shots, indoors is:  IT SUCKS.  I used the X-T1 with my 18-55.  Very few images using zone focus came out, and less than 1/2 of the eye detection images were in focus.  I need much, much more shooting, but for now, that is my opinion, and Im sticking to it.  My next steps are to test the X-T1 with the 35mm F1.4  We'll see where this goes.

Totally agree with that. Yesterday I went out to practice and very few images were in focus neither with zone focus neither with wide focus.

Also I do not understand what happens in Wide focus as I set the focus point and then it automatically moves around the whole screen with focus points. I want it to be where I put it not to be changing. It also might be that I am doing something wrong.

Regards :)

I hate to say it but the eye detection is very slow and quirky.  As I was testing it sometimes it would not activate at all in any light especially in 

the auto mode.  Sometimes the face detection would not activate either.  I wonder how Fuji tested this before the firmware update to see how

it really works.  Everything else from the firmware update seems to be working as described.

Everything else from the firmware update seems to be working as described.

Yeah, I'm not impressed with the face detection and eye autofocus either but if something in this firmware is going to be a disappointment I'm happy that this is the one :)  .   I don't really use face detection anyway.

I have given it a shot (   :D  nice pun!) , actually a few shots.

For now only with a 35mm and the 60 and it worked fine when it comes to face detection part of the deal ( it detected also as a “ face" a bronze head which I have a t home. As you can see, I didn’t do the eye test on the head because it has a blindfold ^_^ )  and it was a little less satisfactorily when it came to eye detection performed on my wife’s eyes ( although she doesn’t wish her image to be published on line, the eye detection wasn’t very precise with her, switching all the time from one eye to the other to no eye and selecting just face... by the way the left eye, is the subject’s left eye not the eye on the left from the person shooting  <_< )... face detection works better but eye detection need a bit of work to be done for version 5.0 of the firmware!) :ph34r:

Agree.  Eye and face detection is ok but not reliable for now.  Since the auto focus speed is so much better I guess we just keep to minimizing the single focus area and focus on the near eye like we've always done.

Agree.  Eye and face detection is ok but not reliable for now.  Since the auto focus speed is so much better I guess we just keep to minimizing the single focus area and focus on the near eye like we've always done.

Bingo!

Seriously, all this “ buzz” about how the cameras will be after the rejuvenation treatment has created some expectations pretty difficult to fulfill.

Especially when one considers the fact that a lot of people out there are using ( I am not) adapted lenses or lenses such as the Samyangs which aren’t autofocus!

Face and eye detections are nice only if they are fail ( and fool) proof if they aren’t it’s nice to have there to use in a pinch when one is shooting fast  but I wouldn’t relay on it just yet, for any serious work and would rather use the trusted and old methods which have served us properly up until now.

Well those of us who had used other mirrorless cameras extensively like Olympus m43 for example kind of learn

To rely on the feature Becuse it works amazingly good and dead on the closest eye. In continuous af mode too btw. Sony does pretty good in that regard as well, take a6000 for example. While those who always used dslrs maybe are not familiar with the feature, it has been in mirrorless for a while. What's ironic is I remember fuji at one point was one of the first if not the first who invented the feature in their point and shoot cameras about 7-8 years ago

I tried the FD for a few minutes and agree with the 2nd Posters sentiments - it sucks.

After reading that enabling it interferes with other AF functions I turned it off, most likely to never be turned on again.

Relying on the camera to choose critical focus gives me the heebie jeebies anyway.

That said, if it's an included feature, it should work properly.

• 3 months later...

For a visible display of Focus Point, Face Detection outline(s), Eye Detection Point, and many other features...

Download and try DIREXIF in this THREAD.

Sample screenshot...