Interview with Mr. Takashi Ueno from FUJIFILM Tokyo – “Why don’t FUJIFILM make full frame DSLR?”

Aswald

APS-C is good enough for most purposes. I too like to pixel peep, but don't kid yourself, in print you can hardly see the difference anymore... Sensors have just become that good nowadays. I too get GAS when I see the new A7R II specslist. But thinking of my old Canon lenses, I can't see myself going back to that size and weight anymore. I already felt the X-T1 +56/16 was too big for holiday purposes, and envied my wife taking the X100T every day...

Now dynamic range and ISO performance, that's where still some nice work can be done...

APS-C is good enough for most purposes. I too like to pixel peep, but don't kid yourself, in print you can hardly see the difference anymore... Sensors have just become that good nowadays. I too get GAS when I see the new A7R II specslist. But thinking of my old Canon lenses, I can't see myself going back to that size and weight anymore. I already felt the X-T1 +56/16 was too big for holiday purposes, and envied my wife taking the X100T every day...

Now dynamic range and ISO performance, that's where still some nice work can be done...

My sentiments echo yours......

He has a good argument up to the point where he says that an f1.4 lens on APS-C will use a faster shutter speed than Full Frame at f2.0. That is not the case when you account for the Full Frame camera being able to use a higher ISO with equivalent image quality.

That does not negate the fact that most f1.4 lenses look horrendous wide open. I love hearing that Fuji is trying to leverage their sensor size by giving people excellent IQ at fast apertures, which is a legitimate strategy.

I can't wait to see some more sharp f1.2 lenses, and hopefully they get in on the f2.0 zoom lens game.

Speaking of wide apertures and the recent advent of Sony BSI sensors...

Current architecture loses significant amounts of light at extreme wide apertures (www.dxomark.com/Reviews/F-stop-blues), but the lack of circuitry in front of the light collecting pixels on a BSI sensor should greatly reduce the effect. We may even be able to make use of f1.0 lenses again.

Theoretically even the current f1.2 and f1.4 lenses should see big gains from the use of a BSI sensor.

I think that statement was made with all things being equal, i.e. ISO setting being the same on both.

The XF35 F1.4 and XF56F1.2 looks pretty good wide open to me.

Before stacked sensor, Fujifilm's move to narrow the gap between the rear elements and sensor plane was a good move. This was achieved by designing an entirely new mounting system which is why F1.4 and F1.2 of a Fujifilm lens/X Camera is considerably sharper edge to edge than conventional systems. It also allows for a slightly smaller dimension.