Purple fringing on X-T2 with 18-55 lens

vivizen

I'd recently picked up an X-T2 with the 18-55 "kit" lens, after having moved from the micro43 world (Olympus OM-D EM10 mostly). Over the weekend I'd been excitedly playing around with the new system: taking pictures under various conditions (day/night, backlit/low-contrast, high-ISO/slow-shutter/wide-open...) and then using my usual raw pipeline (CaptureOne 10) to compare these images (with each other and also with my experience with micro43). 

It seems that there are specific high-contrast situations where the Fuji X system has dramatic, and ugly, optical distortion, that is much worse than anything I've encountered with either the micro43 or Sony E-mount systems. Consider the image attached below, which is a screenshot of a raw file rendered in CaptureOne (I could verify that both Lightroom and Irident show similar output, so not a CaptureOne issue). The purple fringing on it has me scratching my head, and wondering whether there is something optically wrong with my hardware, however this seems unlikely since the jpegs seem cleaner (not entirely clean though). Further, if this is normal, how are you guys living with it?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!