Fuji X Zoom Lens

merlin

I am wondering if there are any Fuji zooms that cover approx. 24-135mm with excellent IQ, and neither weigh a ton nor cost an arm or leg.  ;)

The fixed lens on my X30 covers 28-112, which is mostly sufficient for my hiking needs, but I am looking for one to work with my X-T1 and X-T2.

The only one with that much range in focal length is the 18-135mm, which most people say has very good image quality. I owned a copy that I pre-ordered and was a little disappointed. It was FAR better than the equivalent 18-135mm Canon kit lens that I had some experience with, but anything in the distance seemed to lose contrast, especially when zoomed. I sold mine because I usually shoot with primes anyhow and was almost never using it. If I shot zooms more frequently, there's a good chance I would have kept it just because of versatility. 

That being said, I have seen many photos taken with this lens that don't appear to have the issues that I had with mine. That points to the possibility of some quality control issues with the early production that have since been worked out. If it fits your needs, I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying it based on my experience because it was still a very good lens. Just approach it with the right expectations.

I'm very interested in Nero's comments above. I had exactly the same experience with a pre-ordered (that is, earliest production) 18-135. I sold it, but I decided last year to try again, as it's such a useful lens for general walkabout. The replacement lens does *not* have the problems of my earlier lens: resolution is pretty good at all focal lengths. So I too wonder whether there was some kind of quality control issue with those early batches of 18-135 lenses.

... which most people say has very good image quality. I owned a copy that I pre-ordered and was a little disappointed. It was FAR better than the equivalent 18-135mm Canon kit lens that I had some experience with, but anything in the distance seemed to lose contrast, especially when zoomed. I sold mine because I usually shoot with primes anyhow and was almost never using it. If I shot zooms more frequently, there's a good chance I would have kept it just because of versatility.... That being said, I have seen many photos taken with this lens that don't appear to have the issues that I had with mine. 

I was so disappointed with my TWO copies of the 18-135 (first one brand new, even sent to Fuji to check, the second one to confirm it was that bad...) that now I filter the reviews checking the reviewer's opinions (if any...) on that lens. Seems that people only care about the center, but for anything landscape or wider below f/8 off-center, the 18-135 sucks!!!  Any 18-55, 16-50, 18, 27 etc. "mops the floor" with it. No wonder Fuji puts an excellent IS system on it, so you can keep f/11 and high ISO most of the time... But I have seen several positive opinions, so mileage varies, of course...   :(

Edited by EdricBF

My 18-55 arrived on Thursday, and I put it through its paces today on a long off-trail hike. If interested, here are links to some of the photographs I posted on FaceBook.

https://www.facebook.com/merlin.emrys.7524/posts/753726608161549?pnref=story

https://www.facebook.com/merlin.emrys.7524/posts/753747714826105?pnref=story

I am wondering if there are any Fuji zooms that cover approx. 24-135mm with excellent IQ, and neither weigh a ton nor cost an arm or leg.  ;)

You don't want a lot then! Ha-Ha, excellent range, excellent IQ, doesn't weigh a ton, doesn't cost a bomb........... I think it doesn't yet exist!

You don't want a lot then! Ha-Ha, excellent range, excellent IQ, doesn't weigh a ton, doesn't cost a bomb........... I think it doesn't yet exist!

Nikon's 16-85mm lens fit that bill to a tee.  24-128mm AOV.  So I do not understand why Fuji cannot match it.