Upgrade

gianfour

Hello

This is my kit : XE1, 35 / 1.4, 60 / 2.4, 18-55 and 55-200.

Now it's time to change something. The body works well and I like the files. But now I'd like a more performing autofocus. I need it for situations of poor light (such as jazz-blues concerts, where the lights are not really the best and the XE1 is really hard to focus with an acceptable speed) and for indoor sports (vaulting on horseback, where the speed of the movements is not very fast, but in any case there are sometimes unpredictable situations).
Moving on to the XT2 would definitely make a huge leap on this aspect. I would like to know if with the XT2 and my lenses I have a fairly fast AF. I have read tests and revews, but I would prefer some opinion from you. I imagine that the best autofocus will be  with the last generation lenses, but I can not change everything.

Thanks

X-T1 or X-T2 with the 16 1.4 or the 23 1.4

As you can see on my signature block I own quite a few lenses. You'd have to pry the 35 1.4 and the 18-55 from my cold dead fingers, BUT you have to use the eight tool for the job.

The 35 is still "not that fast" even with all the upgrades

The 60mm is one fine lens, and relatively fast at 2.4 aperture but it will NOT keep up with a moving rocker on stage.  Doubtful.  However, the sharpness, and micro-contrast on that lens is, well, incredible.  Whatever you do:  Keep it. 

Expensive option:  50-140.  Also Heavy.  Also expensive.  Test one out.  Rent it and try it.  The 55-200 which I also own is a kick-butt lens, but may falter at darker, fast moving events such as a rock concert.  So, if I had to choose here,  and you can get close, it'd be the 161.4 or the 231.4 

Thanks Jorge
Two questions:
What do you think about the 90/ 2.0?
The XT2 autofocus is really fast with the 50-140?

Hi again.  I have zero experience with the 90 2.0  so I can't help you there.  The 50-140 2.8 is AMAZINGLY fast.  Since I just picked one up, tomorrow I'm shooting a Karate Event, indoors low light.  This will be it's first true test.  How about if I post back again tomorrow evening once I've tested it out?  And, as I mentioned before the 16 1.4 and the 23 1.4 are outstanding lenses.  I have a very good friend who shoots Leica M9, and with his 40mm and 50mm (manual focus) he gets some amazing dark clubs/jazz club images. I have not tried the 50mm F2 from Fuji so maybe that's another option, at 1/4 the price of the 50-140.   I'll post back tomorrow evening the results of the Karate Event....

The 50-140 2.8 is AMAZINGLY fast.  Since I just picked one up, tomorrow I'm shooting a Karate Event, indoors low light.  This will be it's first true test.  How about if I post back again tomorrow evening once I've tested it out?

I'll be looking forward to that. This is a lens that I've been lusting after since I first got my X-T2.