Question for 50-140 Users

Therapeuo63

The images in the link were likely shot with the Canon 70-200f2.8.  Do you think the Fuji 50-140 is capable of these kinds of images (i.e., depth of field in some of the shots)?  Examples I see online do not appear to deliver this quality of bokeh.

http://www.businessinsider.com/marine-photographer-shot-these-beautiful-portraits-troops-overseas-2017-6

There is no way of escaping the laws of physics. The smaller sensor of the Fuji X system requires the aperture to be approx one stop faster than the equivalent FF application for the bokeh to look the same. As Pierre points out, the Canon 70-200 f/4.0 would create an image that more resembles the Fuji 50-140.

Apart from the bokeh comparison though, the Fuji 50-140 is a fantastic lens. Amazingly sharp and a real joy in use. It gives good contrast and in keeping with the Fuji tradition, the colour rendition is superb.

• 4 weeks later...

The images in the link were likely shot with the Canon 70-200f2.8.  Do you think the Fuji 50-140 is capable of these kinds of images (i.e., depth of field in some of the shots)?  Examples I see online do not appear to deliver this quality of bokeh.

http://www.businessinsider.com/marine-photographer-shot-these-beautiful-portraits-troops-overseas-2017-6

Looking at the photos in the linked article, it appears to me that the backgrounds were blurred in PhotoShop.  I've owned every version of the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L zoom, and none of them could render a background that looks like those examples.  If you look closely, you can see a strange dark "halo" around the main subject in each image where it was masked off so the rest of the image could be selectively blurred.

If that's the case, you could certainly achieve the same effect with the Fuji 50-140mm f2.8.  

And don't forget, there is no difference in depth of field between the Fuji lens and the Canon lens if you use them at the same aperture, focal length, and subject distance.

Edited by ImagesWest

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...