23 replies to this topic

#21 Yoan

Yoan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)
I think there's a Laowa 8mm f/2.8 lens coming soon for APS-C mirrorless cameras. It could be already out.
I also have the 12mm Samyang which I highly recommend.

• KateB likes this

Fuji X-T10 | Samyang 12mm f/2 | Fuji 27mm f/2.8 | Fuji 60mm f/2.4 | some Nikon gear mostly collecting dust ;)

#22 Jose Potato

Jose Potato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

Hello Kate, You've probably made your purchase by now but I thought I'd add my penny's worth. The Samyang 12mm is a cracking lens and great value for money. It's about as wide a lens as you can get without going into fisheye territory. I have fazes where I don't take it off the camera and it is fantastic for travel or street stuff. 

I almost never get out of focus shots from it despite it being a manual lens. Once you have mastered the simple trick of setting it up for zone focusing it is very reliable. In fact, if you set the focus to around 12ft/3.5m away, almost everything beyond that will be reasonably in focus anyway. I have used it to enter photos into the Sony awards this year, which gives you some idea about how much regard I have for this lens.

#23 KateB

KateB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationDoha, Qatar

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

I think there's a Laowa 8mm f/2.8 lens coming soon for APS-C mirrorless cameras. It could be already out.
I also have the 12mm Samyang which I highly recommend.

Hi Yoan,
I am constantly checking the Laowa website. It was announced on 22 December, but does not appear to be released yet.
Kate

#24 KateB

KateB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationDoha, Qatar

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:32 PM

Hello Kate, You've probably made your purchase by now but I thought I'd add my penny's worth. The Samyang 12mm is a cracking lens and great value for money. It's about as wide a lens as you can get without going into fisheye territory. I have fazes where I don't take it off the camera and it is fantastic for travel or street stuff. 

I almost never get out of focus shots from it despite it being a manual lens. Once you have mastered the simple trick of setting it up for zone focusing it is very reliable. In fact, if you set the focus to around 12ft/3.5m away, almost everything beyond that will be reasonably in focus anyway. I have used it to enter photos into the Sony awards this year, which gives you some idea about how much regard I have for this lens.

Hello Jose,
I have actually bought two 12mm lenses; the Samyang and the 7Artisans. They are currently in the U.K., so I have not had a chance to check them yet. The 7Artisans also gets good reviews, so I’d like to compare them for myself. I will keep the best one and sell the other.

It’s good to know that you hold the Samyang in such high regard. I was sure, after reading the reviews, that I would not be disappointed with it; but I wanted to compare the two myself. I have other criteria such as size and weight plus also I have an 18-55mm lens and want to see just how much wider it is than 18mm.
Kate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-t20, wide, prime, x mount

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close