Fuji XF 80mm battery problem

davidk

Hi, I posted on the XT20 forum, but thought I'd try here too since this may be a lens problem vs. a camera problem.

I just received my 80mm macro last week and it has been killing my camera batteries on my XT20. The other 2 lenses I own are the 16 and 35 1.4 and they've never caused me any battery problems. I could take them out all day for casual shooting and still have juice the next day. 

With the 80mm macro, I'm getting 1-2 hours tops of shooting time. Yesterday, I got 204 shots off before the battery died. I never counted my shots on my other 2 lenses, but I would go to similiar locations and shoot similar things and never drain my battery. In fact, I'd come home and usually still have like 2/3 battery life remaining.

I just put my charger into a new power outlet in a different room in case that outlet is having problems. Otherwise, I'm thinking I'm going to have to return this.

Thought I'd put this out there in case anybody in this forum has suggestions. Thanks! 

Hi, I posted on the XT20 forum, but thought I'd try here too since this may be a lens problem vs. a camera problem.

I just received my 80mm macro last week and it has been killing my camera batteries on my XT20. The other 2 lenses I own are the 16 and 35 1.4 and they've never caused me any battery problems. I could take them out all day for casual shooting and still have juice the next day.

With the 80mm macro, I'm getting 1-2 hours tops of shooting time. Yesterday, I got 204 shots off before the battery died. I never counted my shots on my other 2 lenses, but I would go to similiar locations and shoot similar things and never drain my battery. In fact, I'd come home and usually still have like 2/3 battery life remaining.

I just put my charger into a new power outlet in a different room in case that outlet is having problems. Otherwise, I'm thinking I'm going to have to return this.

Thought I'd put this out there in case anybody in this forum has suggestions. Thanks!

Those lenses aren't equipped with OIS. The 80mm is. Do you have OIS turned on? It takes a bit of juice to stabilize big heavy lens elements. Mirrorless cameras aren't known for their battery life.

You can go into the settings and change the IS Mode from continuous to shooting only so that it's stabilizing the image only when you press the shutter button, vs all the time and see if that makes a difference

Depending on your shooting habits, I don't think 200+ frames is bad for a camera that's only rated for 350 frames WITH the 35mm f1.4, and that's straight from Fuji themselves.

If I were you, and I was otherwise happy with the lens, I would carry another battery or two and deal with it. They're cheap on Amazon and i'm sure the lens is worth it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Do you have the OIS on continuous (mode 1) or shooting only (mode 2)? Keeping it on continuous is not necessary and will drain the battery. The 16 and 35mm 1.4 lenses you own are not OIS so you won't have experienced this yet. You can find the IS settings under the Shooting section of the menu

Those lenses aren't equipped with OIS. The 80mm is. Do you have OIS turned on? It takes a bit of juice to stabilize big heavy lens elements. Mirrorless cameras aren't known for their battery life.

You can go into the settings and change the IS Mode from continuous to shooting only so that it's stabilizing the image only when you press the shutter button, vs all the time and see if that makes a difference

Depending on your shooting habits, I don't think 200+ frames is bad for a camera that's only rated for 350 frames WITH the 35mm f1.4, and that's straight from Fuji themselves.

If I were you, and I was otherwise happy with the lens, I would carry another battery or two and deal with it. They're cheap on Amazon and i'm sure the lens is worth it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Beat me to it by seconds!

Things that can drain your battery:

- OIS: I don't know how power hungry the 80mm is, but compared to the 35 and the 16, it's certainly much more, since they don't have OIS!

- OIS mode: check what MrT suggested, that might be the cause to your problems!

- The cold, if you shoot outside

- The "high performance" mode of your camera. If you're not shooting Santa's reindeers taking off, you probably don't need this high performance mode.

- The LCD. When I want to save some battery, I just use the "Viewfinder + Eye Sensor" mode. Also, you can keep the brightness level lower.

- Turning the camera on and off

Mirrorless suck as regard batteries, but on the other hand, they're small and inexpensive. I always carry at least 2 when I'm out shooting!

By the way, the battery indicator is a lie...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!