• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jw432

jw432

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:25 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Can someone please tell me how to preview the DOF?  I am new to fujifilm and have the x-e3.  I often shoot using tight DOF based on my past experience, but after reviewing the manual and googling I still don't understand how to use the Preview DOF.  It seems like I have to set a it to a function button and hold the shutter release down half way, but it's hard to hold the shutter release half way down AND press a function button with one hand.  I am sure I'm simply missing something obvious, so thanks in advance for the answer!

JW

#2 GDawdle

GDawdle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:54 AM

hello,
Nothing complicated. You maybe miss the point.
Can you try this ? :
hold the FN button, and set DOF on this button.
then close lens at 8.
eye through EVF, you make focus on near thing, with an half press, and release the shoot button.
Then if you push the fn button you will see icon on EFV, and the real DOF of f/8. If you press another time the fn button, the back plan will be blur again.
That’s it.
I am so ashamed of my so bad english. Apologies for this, i just try to help ;)

After that said, you should follow the official topic of xe3, and post your demands there instead of creating a new post. Or maybe not ;)

#3 JYC2

JYC2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

Can someone please tell me how to preview the DOF?  I am new to fujifilm and have the x-e3.  I often shoot using tight DOF based on my past experience, but after reviewing the manual and googling I still don't understand how to use the Preview DOF.  It seems like I have to set a it to a function button and hold the shutter release down half way, but it's hard to hold the shutter release half way down AND press a function button with one hand.  I am sure I'm simply missing something obvious, so thanks in advance for the answer!

JW

You don't need to keep holding shutter release button. After focusing by pressing shutter release button half way, take your finger off from shutter release button, and then press function button which is assigned to preview button. Then you will be able to easily check DOF. Of course focusing has to be done again by pressing shutter button half way again after checking DOF. But, it will not be that annoying.

• jw432 likes this

#4 jw432

jw432

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

You don't need to keep holding shutter release button. After focusing by pressing shutter release button half way, take your finger off from shutter release button, and then press function button which is assigned to preview button. Then you will be able to easily check DOF. Of course focusing has to be done again by pressing shutter button half way again after checking DOF. But, it will not be that annoying.

Thanks JYC2!  Got that working now.  I knew it had to be easy.  It's been a decade since I used a more sophisticated camera so I have to re-remember/re-discover a few things and I'm new to Fujifilm too. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depth of field

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close