Great off camera flash setup for X-T1

Hi all, after advice here and on another forum I've recently invested in a range of Yongnuo flash products that work perfectly and seamlessly on the X-T1. I thought I'd share this with you all.

I purchased two of the Yongnuo yn 560 IV - great flash, very similar in size and appearance to the Canon 580 EX II, but with built in wireless communication. Cost US70 each.

To adjust the flash units remotely I purchased the yn 560 TX transmitter. This synced with the flash units instantly and easily, and enables the user to turn individual groups on and off, adjust intensity from 1/128 power to 1/1 in third stops, and alter zoom levels etc. all simply and quickly. Best of all you don't actually need to have the transmitter on camera to do this. I clip it to my belt using a Spider Monkey clip from the Spider Pro holster company. Cost US45

To trigger the flash units I use Yongnuo 605C triggers. These come in a pack of two, meaning I have one transmitter for each camera. Naturally I could use one as a receiver, but to have two small and capable transmitters is perfect for my requirements. Cost US42

Overall I've got a fully capable system scalable up to 6 seperate groups just by adding additional flash units, for a total investment of US227 - less than half the price of a Canon 600EX RT. I can confirm that all pieces worked perfectly on the X-T1, and it was simple to use in manual mode. Finally, the Yongnuo 605 triggers also include a cable which plugs into the 2.5mm remote socket, and enables them to be used as a remote release with up to 100 yards range. Great Bonus!

I'm very happy with the setup, and find it MUCH easier to use than the Canon system.

I opted for the Cactus V6 transceivers and a couple of RF 60 flashes.  Just felt that they might prove to be more robust in the long run as I've heard a few complaints about the quality of the Yongnuo products.  Also with the V6 attached to your fuji camera you can still do TTL pass through to your fuji flashes or the nissin i40.  One thing I found though is if you purposely or accidentally choose red eye reduction in your flash menu setup on camera the TTL pass through doesn't work.  Make sure you shut it off for TTL pass through to work.  

+1 for the Cactus system. Adjust power in 1/10th stops, even with flashes which don't normally offer such increments, and it can mix any flash from any brand and either have them fire to a linear scale, or you can set it to equalise each unit so they all act as if they're the same model. Batteries seem to last slightly longer than the Yongnuo units I've tried, too, and the range and refresh rates are better. They do cost a fraction more than Yongnuo, though (still far cheaper than Canon/Nikon) and they seem to be slightly harder to get hold of in some areas. If you can get them where you life, though, Cactus are definitely the way to go. Even before I switched to Fuji, I had already sold off my Canon flash gear to use Cactus instead.

edit: oh and hey, the Cactus units do also support the Yongnuo units, just as every other brand.

I use the Godox V850's, with their FT-16S remote trigger. Works great, I hate AA batteries, so the lithium cartridges give me excellent portability. They are sometimes a bit iffy, I find they drain quickly when not in use. So not great for people who are on the go for a few days without charger. Or people shooting a few images at the time. I use them mainly for portrait work in a controlled setting. I have four batteries, four speedlights and one trigger. I usually only have 2 lights in use, sometimes 3. So I always have at least one battery charging. That suits my needs just fine. I usually get 200-400 shots out of one battery, which is just fine for most uses.

Although I must say that if given a choice now, I would probably go for the Cactus system. But no regrets so far with my Godox stuff.

If now only Fuji would come with a great TTL system for more "on the move" work...

All sound like good setups. I kept my 3 Canon 580EX II's and trigger them with a YN-622C-TX transmitter and use the 622 receivers. Works great - use it with an X100S and X-T1. Allows for the transmitter to change the manual flash power, groups, etc.

Ditto the comments about Fuji TTL. I've been contemplating the Nissin i40 for an on-camera TTL flash when covering events/weddings/etc. Otherwise the Canon 580EX II's and triggers work perfectly for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Yongnuo YN-560-TX transmitter and YN-560 IV speedlights with my X100S and X-T1 cameras... that's great if you can simply live with manual control of the flashes. Personaly, I prefer manual control over TTL. So, it suites me fine. They are reliable and very easy to use.

The first time I had an issue with my X-T1. It didn't fire the external flash, while I had set the flash trigger mode to force fire. First I supposed something is wrong in wireless communication like the channel setting or grouping; but it was firing remotely by test button! Then I supposed it's an issue with the transmitter. So, I inserted one of the flashes onto the camera hot shoe, and it didn't fire either. Strangely, it was reliably triggering the X-T1's small pop-up flash in the same situation.

I finally figured out that is due to shutter mode I'd selected; Electrical and Mechanical shutter. It's knid of strange behavior when you choose that option and you use the shutter speedof 180 or 125 which means the Mechanical shutter is being used, but the camera does not trigger the external flash. As soon as I changed the mode to Mechanical shutter only, everything worked fine. I'm still using FW Ver. 3.0, I don't know has it been fixed on newer version or not.

I've tested that remote trigger system with X100S up to shutter speed 1000 and it was working flawlessly. beyond that, I saw a little bit of dim lighting which I guess is due to the flash triggering and light emmiting duration, very little at 2000 and more noticably at 4000.

• 2 weeks later...

because he uses the TX off camera. so the separate trigger is used to fire the flash from the cameras hot shoe. the TX in this case just works as a remote for the settings of the flash. the TX is maybe too big for his use on the cameras hotshot. but i'm just guessing.

i have the same setup with 3 flashes, but i use the TX on the camera. and although i have 4 RF603s (from former nikon setup) i only use them if i want to trigger the camera remotely as well.

I bought the Cactus V6 units, but sent them back because they're too big. The transceiver overhangs the shutter-speed dial on my X-T 10 and protrudes far enough in the back to interfere with using the EVF. It also was too large to fit into some of my flash mounting brackets. Obviously this won't apply to everyone, but be aware that these are unusually large units.

This is true. Nevertheless it's better than with x-pro1 as it almost blocks the shutter dial lock. I have no real problems with X-T1 thanks to it's fake pentaprism housing and with x100s because it has no shutter dial lock.

have a 560, 580ex, and i40.

i dont really do off camera, as not all trigger works with xpro1 (dunno why.. it works on my xm1).

my conclusion,

i dont like 560, the light is too bluish. so kinda mess up the ambient light. im poor with gel btw.

i prefer 580, very snappy and neutral white light. but heavier than 560.

the nissin.. i dont use it much. ttl works, but the flash is small, output is about 1/2 stops less than 580ex. its also slow, kinda delays the camera shutter by half sec, before it fires its pre-flash and then flash.. the pre-flash can be seen, unlike canon ttl which i only see 1 flash, the nissin always fires 2.  

bounce in a big room kinda tax it out.

also people around me find the flash output annoyingly harsh that they'd cover their eyes even when im bouncing. not with the 580ex direct flash.

im not sure if the respond in xt1 is difference tho.

anyways, despite the compact and ttl, i end up taking my bulky 580ex everytime and shoot manual.

Wholeheartedly recommend the Cactus RF60 here. I have 4 and the hotshoe controller - they trigger perfectly, at some pretty colossal distances. Not 100% sure exactly how far (I'm terrible at estimating this), but certainly far enough that I can't possibly imagine a legitimate use for longer triggering - including shooting architectural/automotive shots. I have yet to have them miss a shot, and their refire times don't feel any slower than the 600ex-rt, at less than third of the price. 

A HUGE bonus is the fact that the system will work the same on -any- camera system with a hotshoe. Being able to whack this on a EOS30 film camera, a 645 medium format camera, your buddy's Canon behemoth, your partner's Nikon setup, that absurd Sony thing your girlfriend insisted on buying, and the ridiculous Leica her father insists upon bringing on holiday despite taking all his photos on his iPhone... is not only incredibly useful for you as a photographer, but also makes you incredibly useful to your friends. The flashes are so obvious in how to use them (much moreso than most), anyone gets it, and it's quite inspiring. I think I've lent these flashes out more than I've used them in fact, and in return I've got away with borrowing a ludicrous amount of gear I can't afford, and even got a shoot booked too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have found what seems to be an excellent solve! Very small and beautiful radio triggers for small cameras. Option at $39 with a second receiver option at $55.

http://www.lightpixl...om/pages/flashq

2 Reviews here:

http://lavidaleica.c...-trigger-system

http://www.lightingr...shq-review-7406

I think my mind is made up on this one.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

I use Yongnuo one YN-622c-TX, two YN-622c and one YN-568 II speedlights and two 430EX II with my XE-2 cameras ( I use also canon). Only manual adjustment  with YN-622c-TX. They are reliable and very easy to use. Checking the appropriate transmitters (YN-622N-TX+YN-622N+SB900) on XE-2: does not work.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I use Yongnuo YN-560-TX transmitter and YN-560 IV speedlights with my X100S and X-T1 cameras... that's great if you can simply live with manual control of the flashes. Personaly, I prefer manual control over TTL. So, it suites me fine. They are reliable and very easy to use.

The first time I had an issue with my X-T1. It didn't fire the external flash, while I had set the flash trigger mode to force fire. First I supposed something is wrong in wireless communication like the channel setting or grouping; but it was firing remotely by test button! Then I supposed it's an issue with the transmitter. So, I inserted one of the flashes onto the camera hot shoe, and it didn't fire either. Strangely, it was reliably triggering the X-T1's small pop-up flash in the same situation.

I finally figured out that is due to shutter mode I'd selected; Electrical and Mechanical shutter. It's knid of strange behavior when you choose that option and you use the shutter speedof 180 or 125 which means the Mechanical shutter is being used, but the camera does not trigger the external flash. As soon as I changed the mode to Mechanical shutter only, everything worked fine. I'm still using FW Ver. 3.0, I don't know has it been fixed on newer version or not.

I've tested that remote trigger system with X100S up to shutter speed 1000 and it was working flawlessly. beyond that, I saw a little bit of dim lighting which I guess is due to the flash triggering and light emmiting duration, very little at 2000 and more noticably at 4000.

I am experiencing this exact same problem. However I am using Yongnuo 600EX-RT flashes. I have one on my Fuji XT1 and one off camera. The two flashes are setup in manual mode, but they are using wireless radio to talk to each other. The flash on my XT1 is the master flash and the flash off camera is the slave. If I press the test button on the master flash, both flashes fire as expected. If I take a picture on the XT1 by pressing the shutter, the master flash on camera does fire but the second flash off camera does not :(

I feel like this SHOULD work. Am I missing something? The camera is set to mechanical shutter, but it still does not work. If i move these flashes over to my 5DMKIII then it works as I expect it to; taking a picture on the 5D3 causes the flash on camera to fire as a master, and the second flash fires as a slave.

Any tips? Maybe due to hardware limitations this is just not supposed to work on the fuji?

Another vote for the Cactus V6 system here. I use a V6 trigger on camera and two or three Cactus RF-60 flashes on stands (e.g. for first dance at a wedding). The RF-60 flash has a V6 transceiver built-in.

One very simple but genius feature of the RF-60 flashgun is the 1/4-20 socket on the side of the flash. This makes it possible to mount the flash directly to a tilting lightstand spigot (or any other mount with a 1/4-20 male fitting), without having to use a cold-shoe adaptor. It's much more secure than a flash sitting on top of a receiver on top of a cold shoe, and when shooting with umbrellas it means that the flash body is close to the axis of the umbrella, placing the light source in the middle of the umbrella instead of off to one side.

Cactus-RF60-001.jpg

Cactus have just released a V6 II trigger which promises HSS - however it doesn't seem to mix well with the  V6 Mk1 triggers so I am staying with the V6 Mk1 for the time being.

Regarding the issue of the V6 overhanging the shutter speed dial - yes it does, but typically with off-camera flash you don't change the shutter speed once set, so I set the shutter speed first before mounting the trigger.

If you do need to adjust the shutter speed frequently you can switch the shutter speed dial to T mode, and then one of the control wheels (front on X-T1, rear on X-E2) can be used to adjust the shutter speed.