6 replies to this topic

#1 Denali3times

Denali3times

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, Québec

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Hi, Is someone know if I can get near 1:1 reproduction ratio using the two Fuji extension tubes with my 56mm? I'am looking for a set-up for digitalizing my B&W negatives. After trying few scanners in the under 1000$ range, I know I can do better using one of my Fuji cameras. I already get amazing results but looking to use most of the xpro2 sensor instead of around 2000x3000px area. As I already have the 56 and the 16mm extension tube, buying the 11mm tube will be much cheaper than buying the 60 or even the 80 macro lens... Thanks 

#2 Denali3times

Denali3times

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

So I assume nobody here know the answer...I ordered the 11mm tube. We will see. But I got another problem : grid artifact! Photographing negatives implies a strong front light so I noticed a grid pattern when looking at my files at 100%. I tried few things to minimize that without any amelioration. I supposed that it was a result of the absence of anti-aliasing filter. As last attempt, I change from RAW (that I always use) to JPEG and...no more grid! The camera correct perfectly the more than annoying grid artifact and deliver a perfect jpeg. Alleluia.

#3 mdm

mdm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

Hi, Is someone know if I can get near 1:1 reproduction ratio using the two Fuji extension tubes with my 56mm?... Thanks 

It was tested over here - https://www.markusra.../punks-of-macro

There is no direct answer about 1:1, but some sample shots was provided.

#4 Denali3times

Denali3times

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

Thanks. I have seen this blog and it convince me to order the 11mm tube. I will update this forum when I get it.

#5 Denali3times

Denali3times

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

After intensive testing of coupling the two Fuji extension tubes together with my 56mm, I had to conclude that it's unusable for critical reproduction work. The ratio was really good, allowing framing a little bit larger than the 24x36mm negatives. But the sides and corners were always unsharp, independently of the aperture used. My goal is to «scan» a large quantity of B&W 35mm negatives using my x-Pro2. I now must turn to macro lenses to achieve the near 1:1 ratio with the pro quality I know I can get. 

#6 milandro

milandro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:37 AM

I have tried shooting pictures of my slides and negatives in many ways ( 60mm macro lens, adapted 100mm macro lens, slide repro-tube, enlarging lens on a macro bellows) 

The results were always relatively disappointing.

Mileage might vary but don’t set your expectations too high. By the way the loss of focus on the sides might be cause by the curvature of the slide or negative.

Good luck!

Edited by milandro, 07 December 2017 - 11:14 AM.

the popular expression wishful thinking is an oxymoron!

To all TAPATALK users

As a form of courtesy towards your fellow users of this forum, PLEASE remove the obnoxious tapatalk signature, it adds nothing to anyone’s contribution and it is only a sneaky way used by tapatalk to push their product by polluting each forum participant with promoting their products with unpaid advertising for their software and the brand of your phone. Removing it is easy and it is an act of courtesy that shows respect for all those whom are annoyed by this pointless feature. This is not a personal attack to you, the annoyance is caused by tapatalk and the phone or tablet brands, they are getting all the exposure and you gain nothing by this.

#7 konzy

konzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

It was tested by the guy behind Fuji vs Fuji blog, on a set of lenses, with examples: https://www.fujivsfu...-11-vs-mcex-16/

But I doubt the 56mm can be a very good macro lens. That's really not its purpose, and macro extension rings are sadly limited by the laws of physics. My advice would be to use a dedicated macro lens. For scanning slides, perhaps a 1:2 would be enough? In that case, buy the 60mm from Fuji. It's small, sharp, awesome and is now easy to be found used, thanks to the newer 80mm.

Otherwise, if you need 1:1, there are different options:

- Native lenses: Fuji 80/2.8 (but far too expansive if you just want to scan slides), Samyang 100/2.8 (cheaper), Zeiss Touit 50/2.8, Meike 85mm (I think it's new too)

- Adapted lenses from other brands. You can mount barely anything from Nikon, Canon, Tamron, Sigma... The old (and the new) 90mm lenses from Tamron are great 1:1 macro lenses (the oldest models are only 1:2 though), and can be found used in lots of different mounts.

- The Raynox adapters. You don't get the quality of a dedicated macro lens, but you get close and it's not too expansive.

Good luck!

Konzy

Edited by konzy, 09 December 2017 - 06:56 PM.

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close