Hello from Southeastern Wisconsin

kjgraff

I signed on to this forum several months ago but then did nothing.  Recently, I had a problem with updating my X-T2's firmware and some of the members helped me resolve my issue.  Since I am still learning about my camera and really have many questions about it, I thought, why not join this forum?  

I have enjoyed photography for many years and primarily used Canon equipment for at least the last 30.  Several years ago I began to explore other systems, mostly because I wanted to decrease the amount of weight I was carrying.  I could have switched to lighter Canon equipment but I was curious about mirrorless systems and so I began to explore Olympus and Fujifilm.  I currently photograph with Olympus micro 4/3rds and Fujifilm equipment.  Both are lighter systems and have many excellent lenses. I'm excited that Fuji is adding an 80mm 1:1 macro lens since I enjoy macro photography.  Speaking of which, my photography interests are very broad.  I love to photograph nature, travel, sports, architecture, etc.  I love having a camera in my hands and carry one with me most of the time--another reason to use light, compact, equipment.  I look forward to reading posts in this forum, learn more about my Fuji camera, and, hopefully, also contribute to this forum.

Welcome! Newbie to the forum, but certainly not newbie to photography! 30+ years? I've been dawdling for ten, only moderately serious the last year or so. I was also a Canon shooter but found I was rarely reaching for my camera due to the bulkiness (or dslr, doubt it had much to do with Canon in particular). Out of raw curiosity less than a year ago I popped into a photo store just to check out the new-fangledy X-T2 I had been seeing so many posts about. Bought the thing straight away, and have sold most of my legacy gear. I am enamored with the handling of the X-T2. Haven't looked back. Curious to hear your thoughts on Canon v. Fuji from a shooting experience perspective.

Thanks for the welcome, F_J_Woods.  I really loved my Canon gear.  I've owned several film based Canon cameras and many Canon DSLRs.  By the time I decided to try mirrorless, I owned a 7D MII,  a 5D MIII and mostly L (luxury glass) full-frame lenses. Canon cameras were very easy to operate since I had owned them since the late 1970s and they always felt good in my hands.  My only reason for switching to mirrorless was weight, size, and EVF.  Because I always like to have a camera with me and I also like to hike (or travel) with a camera, the bulkiness and weight of my Canon gear became a real pain for me (literally).  I use my Olympus gear more than my Fuji because Olympus is more compact and maybe a bit lighter.  I do like my X-T2 since it's quite light and the controls are easy to use but because it's sensor is an aps-c, the lenses can be larger--just like my canon lenses were.  The big difference though is that the Canon white lenses are still heavier so the Fuji shooting experience is more comfortable for me and I can carry the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 in my hands for longer periods without feeling fatigued.  Some things that bother me about the X-T2 is the "sometimes" wormy grain, the slower autofocus tracking (even with the booster grip), and the fewer fast lens choices.  The Fuji 100-400mm lens is slower than Canon's 100-400mm and yet it is as large, if not slightly larger than the Canon lens.  Things like that bother me.  But, I still prefer shooting with the Fuji gear.  And something that I learned owning Canon gear for so many years was patience--camera companies really do want to improve their products and keep their customers happy.

I can only criticise the X-T2 a little. One of the things I have issues with are how easy it is to knock the on/off switch when putting the camera into a ever-ready type case. I am always doing it. Also the F-Stop ring on the lenses are quite easy to similarly move inadvertently.

The lens hoods could also be improved.

However the rest of it for me is fantastic. What a camera this is going to be. 

Thanks for the welcome, F_J_Woods.  I really loved my Canon gear.  I've owned several film based Canon cameras and many Canon DSLRs.  By the time I decided to try mirrorless, I owned a 7D MII,  a 5D MIII and mostly L (luxury glass) full-frame lenses. Canon cameras were very easy to operate since I had owned them since the late 1970s and they always felt good in my hands.  My only reason for switching to mirrorless was weight, size, and EVF.  Because I always like to have a camera with me and I also like to hike (or travel) with a camera, the bulkiness and weight of my Canon gear became a real pain for me (literally).  I use my Olympus gear more than my Fuji because Olympus is more compact and maybe a bit lighter.  I do like my X-T2 since it's quite light and the controls are easy to use but because it's sensor is an aps-c, the lenses can be larger--just like my canon lenses were.  The big difference though is that the Canon white lenses are still heavier so the Fuji shooting experience is more comfortable for me and I can carry the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 in my hands for longer periods without feeling fatigued.  Some things that bother me about the X-T2 is the "sometimes" wormy grain, the slower autofocus tracking (even with the booster grip), and the fewer fast lens choices.  The Fuji 100-400mm lens is slower than Canon's 100-400mm and yet it is as large, if not slightly larger than the Canon lens.  Things like that bother me.  But, I still prefer shooting with the Fuji gear.  And something that I learned owning Canon gear for so many years was patience--camera companies really do want to improve their products and keep their customers happy.

The only thing that I can truly say that bothers me about the X-T2 is the poor (in my opinion) battery life. That likely has mostly to do with the EVF, and not anything particularly FUJI. I still have a G1X-II and it eats through batteries pretty quickly as well.

The only thing that I can truly say that bothers me about the X-T2 is the poor (in my opinion) battery life. That likely has mostly to do with the EVF, and not anything particularly FUJI. I still have a G1X-II and it eats through batteries pretty quickly as well.

My reply was a bit critical of Fuji...  I do really love the image quality: at low iso's very smooth and almost nonexistent grain (and still beautiful at higher iso's)  and the great film simulations.  When I photographed with film I used Velvia and Provia quite a bit.  And one of the things that really sold me on the camera was Fuji's commitment to firmware updates and usually across all of their body and lens lines.  I watched a YouTube video recently that really spoke to me called "Fuji Rethink RAW" by Lee Varis.  I highly recommend it.  One advantage of changing camera systems is that you're forced to rethink a lot of what you did in the past that you took for granted and stopped questioning.  Another one is that now I will go out shooting and try out the different film simulations on my subject to see how they enhance my image and now I plan to also try altering shadow and highlight settings.  I stopped thinking about Black & White many years ago but I do now and I've started using it depending upon my subject.  Because of the Varis video I have a renewed appreciation for JPEGs.  Anyway, the X-T2 is much more than it's electronic viewfinder and light weight and size!  And I do love it.

My reply was a bit critical of Fuji...  I do really love the image quality: at low iso's very smooth and almost nonexistent grain (and still beautiful at higher iso's)  and the great film simulations.  When I photographed with film I used Velvia and Provia quite a bit.  And one of the things that really sold me on the camera was Fuji's commitment to firmware updates and usually across all of their body and lens lines.  I watched a YouTube video recently that really spoke to me called "Fuji Rethink RAW" by Lee Varis.  I highly recommend it.  One advantage of changing camera systems is that you're forced to rethink a lot of what you did in the past that you took for granted and stopped questioning.  Another one is that now I will go out shooting and try out the different film simulations on my subject to see how they enhance my image and now I plan to also try altering shadow and highlight settings.  I stopped thinking about Black & White many years ago but I do now and I've started using it depending upon my subject.  Because of the Varis video I have a renewed appreciation for JPEGs.  Anyway, the X-T2 is much more than it's electronic viewfinder and light weight and size!  And I do love it.

I share what you say, Fuji has made me similarly start to experiment more, which is a good thing. Brilliant video by the way, extremely interesting!

Edited by Him