Clicky

Photo
- - - - -

Not Ready for Prime Time as a News Photographer's Camera, or why I'm Switching Back to a Canon DSLR:

news battery batteries journalism

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 dfaye

dfaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I looked up CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) data on mirrorless cameras and made a selection of them. Being tested by an independent body, they should be much relative to one another if not absolute in real-world use.

Fujifilm XA3 - 410

Fujifilm X100F - 390
Fujifilm XT-20 - 340
Sony Alpha a6500 - 350
Sony Alpha a7R II -290
Canon EOS M10 - 255
Nikon 1 J5 - 250
Olympus PEN E-PL8 - 350
Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 - 410

As long as camera makers concentrate on compactness and light-weight, the situation will continue. Battery grips are somewhat of a solution, but large bodies and heavy batteries are pretty much dictated to get dSLR performance.

Thanks, Larry, that's really interesting!

#22 Larry Bolch

Larry Bolch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta Canada

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:45 AM

As a photojournalist during the film era as well, to get 360 shots required a brick of 10 rolls of 36 exposures or a brick and a half of 24 exposure rolls. At the end of the roll, one stopped shooting, rewound the film back into the cassette, assuming 35mm, opened the back and removed it, then opened the box with the next roll, removed it from its canister, threaded it to the take-up spool, closed the back and advanced to the first frame, watching to make sure the rewind knob turned indicating that the film was properly moving through the camera. 

Now it takes about 20 seconds to switch to a fresh battery and that only happens about once in 360 shot. Compared to 10 or 15 very bulky rolls of film, it is tiny. Covering sports, if there was a pause one took advantage of it to swap in a fresh roll even if the previous one was not finished. Covering NASCAR I often turned in many short rolls in order to have the maximum exposures available for the big wreck.

• George_P likes this

#23 CDBC

CDBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

Larry, that's an interesting input. And of course photographers would always have a second body loaded and ready, when shooting at that rate.

Noting your location, here's an aside that may amuse: in the late 70's, I was working in a photographic retail store in Edmonton Centre. Very low humidity and lots of nylon carpet in the store, so static shocks were frequent.

These shocks killed three brand new Pentax ME's just from being picked up from the display cabinet before we figured out what was going on; on one occasion (you learned to hold a key between your forefingers), just touching the cash register triggered it to ring up a $100,000 sale and open the drawer.

But the weirdest thing (and one I'll take some credit for solving) was when a couple of photographers that I knew who were shooting for the Edmonton Journal kept encountering 'lightning strikes' across their negatives. This turned out to be caused by the automatic rewind in their Nikon's zipping the film back into the cassette so fast that it generated static shocks from the plastic film base passing through the 35mm canister's light blocking flocking (could not resist that) so quickly.

• George_P likes this

#24 AndyS

AndyS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Today, 11:00 AM

600 shots last weekend with X-T2 / no battery grip / xf 100-400 with OIS on , frequently using CH mode, 1.5 batteries depleted.

Must really be the boost mode...

#25 George_P

George_P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationBratislava

Posted Today, 02:52 PM

I seldom shoot more than a few pictures at a time, but for comparison: currently at a jazz festival after the second day, 455 shots still at the first battery with about 1/3 left in it. X-T10, 90mm (i.e. no OIS), EVF+Eye mode, CH, no chimping, jpg+raw. Batteries: I have three, they are numbered and I rotate them, two are aftermarket and they are as good as the original.

Poor bass, had a cold, had to wear a hat.

37806172736_2593a0a3dd_o_d.jpg

full resolution: https://farm5.static...001a462_o_d.jpg

Edited by George_P, Today, 02:54 PM.

X-T10 | 8mm | 18-55 | 35/2 | 90 | 50-230 | FlashQ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news, battery, batteries, journalism