First Camera X-T2?

pringles

I never owned a camera but am considering buying one. DSLR is good and has good potential but needs too much investment especially lenses.  I looked up mirror-less and X-T2 seems to be the best option but I do have a few questions before I make the purchase. 

1. Although I'm new to photography, I do hope my X-T2 still works when I'm more advanced. I heard X-T2 has good colors but is only good with JPG, but not RAW, which is important for post editing,  is this true?   Forgive me if I sound stupid in my question. I did enough research and watched enough reviews but I may still not know what I am saying. 

2 .If I buy X-T2, which lens should I buy? I'm more into shooting people (not wedding). I guess I need something that is good for shooting people but is fine with landscapes occasionally. I am not interested into stocking up lenses like DSLR, otherwise, I'll just buy a full frame DSLR. I'm open to that but only when  my options are exhausted. 

3. Is X-T2 good for shooting people ? 

4. Why should I buy X-T2 when an entry level full frame DSLR costs not significantly more? Please exclude the size as one of the reasons. 

Thanks, 

Edmond

No problem with Fuji raw files.  Just get a decent converter.  If you are on Windows, Photo Ninja is excellent.  There are also a number of cross-platform FOSS options such as LightZone, RawTherapee, and darktable.

I am no fan of Adobe products, but LightRoom seems to work well for many folks.

Hello Edmond,

Don't buy an X-T2. It's an awesome camera, with tons of features, superb image quality and one of the best mirrorless around. But it's also very expansive, and lenses are too.

When you're 18 and you get to buy your first car, you don't buy the latest Porsche. You start small. Then eventually, you sell your first car when you're more comfortable and get a more recent/bigger/more powerful one. I believe that's the same with photography.

Right now, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Fujifilm all make great cameras. You can buy any entry level from these brands and you'll get fantastic image quality, lots of features and you'll be able to learn photography. The only difference between these brands might be:

- The size of the cameras: DSLR are bigger and heavier

- The price: mirrorless are sometimes more expansive than DSLR, depending on the type of camera

- The variety of lenses: Nikon, Canon are here since decades, and they have dozens of lenses available, and the second hand market is full of cheap great lenses. Mirrorless are much newer, so the possibilities are smaller.

- The design: Fujifilm has a retro look, very similar to film cameras. Handling is much different than the classic "M,A,S,P" modes of other brands.

Your first statement is actually not true: today, the cheapest way into photography remains DSLR cameras. They are produced on a bigger scale, and consequently are cheaper. The only reason why you might not want to buy one, could be the size and weight. DSLR remain bulky...

- Entry level Nikon + kit lens: $500 > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KITZKDE

- Entry level Canon + kit lens + zoom lens: $480 > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKWZ852/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bCf6T_c_x_1_w

- Entry level Fujifilm + kit lens: $600 > https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-A3-Mirrorless-XC16-50mm-Kit/dp/B01KNXATL8/ref=sr_1_4

- X-T2 and kit lens: $1800 > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3LNQ6M/ref=twister_B01I3YY3QG

To answer your questions:

1. Firstly, a RAW files contains much more data than a JPEG, and what you can do with a JPEG, you can do it with a RAW. And you can do a lot more with the RAW! Now, colour perception entirely depends on the person, so whoever says that this camera brand has better colour is just expressing his personal opinion, nothing more. Camera brands render colours differently, because they use different sensors and technologies. You will need some experience before deciding which one you like and dislike, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

2. Well, everyone learned photography with a different lens, so you'll have 1000 opinions here. However, I think the 2 most popular lenses are the "18-55mm" zoom lens (aka kit lens), and the "35mm" (equivalent of the classic 50mm in 24x36 format) fixed lens. I would go for a 18-55, simply because it can do almost everything: landscape, portrait, sometimes a bit of close-up. It's small, light, cheap and versatile. Then, when you see its limit, you can start looking for another lens. The 35mm is a great "first prime", especially for portraits and low light, and is usually the cheapest prime available. Or you can buy a wide angle prime, if you do a lot of landscape. Or a bigger zoom, if you need some reach. After spending a year with the kit lens, you will know what you can to invest in.

3. Yes, it's the best Fujifilm camera available, so it's good for everything. But so are all current models, and also older models. And so does my $70 Pentax film camera from 1970. What matters the most when photographing people (if you mean portraits) is actually the lens. The wide aperture of some lenses, and/or the focal length, can isolate the person from the background, and make some nice portraits. The camera you use doesn't really matter here. 

4. Full frame systems are generally more expansive than those with a smaller sensors, especially for the DSLR market. The price of the camera itself can be similar, if not lower, but full frame lenses can be more expansive. For mirrorless, it's different, because this is a smaller market, so the prices are higher... There is no rule here, and it's actually quite complex to compare all cameras, because they're all different in terms of features!

Anyway, to be honest, you shouldn't even think about full frame now. You will waste your money and your photos won't be better. Once again: will you learn how to drive faster and better if you learn with a Porsche, rather than a small car?

So in the end, my suggestion is:

- Don't spend more than 500€ in your first camera. You're new, you need to learn the basics. Having a better camera won't make you learn faster.

- Select a camera and/or brand you feel comfortable with. Go and try some cameras, touch them, play with them. You won't find any difference between a Sony, a Nikon and a Fujifilm image. But you'll see a lot of differences in their cameras: size, weight, the controls, the way it feels in your hand... This is more important when you start, IMO, than image quality or size of the sensor.

- Start small. No need to buy everything new, explore the used market too. You'll save hundreds of $/€, that you can invest in travels (so more pictures!), books about photography, or even workshops. 

A few cameras that you might like, if you really want to buy a Fujifilm camera:

- X-T10 >> this camera is great. It's not the newer model (X-T20 is), but it doesn't mean it sucks. It's been discontinued recently, so you might still be able to find some new ones, at a super price. Otherwise, the used market is full of these. The next model, the X-T20, is also great, but is twice more expansive.

- X-E1/X-E2/X-E2s >> same sensor as the X-T10, and almost the same features. It's just a different design, which you might prefer, or not. Personal preference! Also very present in the used market.

- X-E3 >> just announced and might be expansive, like the X-T20.

- X-T1, X-Pro1 >> same sensor as the X-T10 and X-E1/2/2s, but more advanced. You might be able to find the X-T1 new, but the X-Pro1 only exists used now.

- X-T2, X-Pro2 >> too expansive and complex for a beginner, IMO. 

Lens: as I said above, I would go with the kit lens, the 18-55 f/2.8-4 >> the best lens you can buy as a beginner. Very good image quality, small and light, versatile. You can do a lot with this lens!

Take a look at other brands too. Entry levels DSLR from Nikon and Canon are awesome, and not that big. I learnt photography on a Nikon D60, with the 18-55 kit lens. I used both for 3 years before buying another lens! 

Sony has great APS-C cameras too (a6000 series), but they cost a lot. The Micro 4/3 brands as very nice as well (Olympus, Panasonic). You can't go wrong with any of them. The main differences are more in the size, the design and the price.

Take a look at the Olympus OM-D EM-10 for instance, it's a great camera, small, with lots of features, and is just a bit more expansive as its DSLR counterparts (around $600 with kit lens): https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera-14-42mm/dp/B01CIXJSOK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506125514&sr=1-1&keywords=Olympus+OM-D+EM-10

Hope this helps! Sorry for the long post... Good luck :)

Konzy

Edited by konzy

Buy secondhand if money is tight. XE2s and XT-1s are particularly cheap at the moment and are fine cameras. Fuji lenses are in general cheaper than their equivalents in other makes. To get the same sort of lens performane in Sony lenses for example you will have to buy from their Zeiss or G-Master range - and that will hurt your bank account! The Fuji 18-55mm kit lens is much better than its cost would have you believe. It's a little bit soft at the long end but still very good. However there are bad copies out there. I know because I have seen one. Expect it to be evenly sharp in all four corners. If they differ significantly send it back.

Olympus and Panasonic use a "micro four thirds" sensor that is smaller than the Fuji's APS-C which means that they are not quite as good at high ISOs but they are smaller and lighter.

The trouble with entry level DSLRs is that generally their viewfinders are small and dim compared with their more expensive brethren and indeed with any Fuji. The viewfinder is probably the most important factor in a camera. Make sure that you get to handle a camera before you buy it. They are also invariably mostly plastic too. That might not matter to you though. Personally I prefer a solid feel, which you will get with any Fuji.

If you can afford it, get the X-T2 with the 18-55 mm kit lens. Great camera that you will grow with. I've had one since they were released and enjoy using it frequently. The camera feels good to hold and use and the viewfinder is bright and large.

As a previous reply stated, the lens is good for a wide variety of photographic opportunities. As you discover your preferences and needs, you may want to look at a wide-angle or something like the 55-200 mm telephoto zoom. Fuji has a reputation for excellent lenses.

Whatever your decision, enjoy yourself. Photography is a great skill you will have a good time mastering.

Neil

I've been shooting for 50 years now, with umpteen different cameras of various types and formats (starting with a box brownie,).

Always figured I understood cameras, until the digital age. The last while, I've been using the X-T2, and have decided that maybe I'll never understand cameras ... but oh boy am I having fun with this thing.

I sort of agree with you gaopa, but then not especially with the "steep learning curve". If you put until you are used to it, the lens in A, ISO on A, Shutter on A, and press the button, you get wonderful pictures from the X-T2. Now depending on what sort of images you like to take, you may be happy with just a 23mm lens. Great starting set-up! Then visit a shop and try say a 14mm or a 50mm or the 90mm...... I know money comes into it, but in this life if you want quality then it won't be low prices unless getting lucky and buying second hand or off the back of a lorry.

If you like zooms I hear nothing but good of the 18-55mm.......

The X-T2 is a cool camera. Looks great has wonderful controls and produces outstanding images even with just that 23mm lens.

I started out like I describe above, everything on automatic. I can give this camera and the small flash that comes with it to someone to take an image of a person/s, and get a good image. The 23mm F2 in my experience, the 50mm F2 and the 90mm all produce excellent people images. The 90mm is approaching the weight limit for me, so it is occasional use, But the 14/23/50 are all highly usable for people, street, landscape.

Edited by Him

Pringles

I have moved from a Canon 1Ds mark III with a 28-300 white lens which is an awesome combination covering relatively wide angle to a good zoom without changing lenses. BUT it was very heavy so at the age of 75 I decided to change to the Fuji X-T2 and I havent regretted it for one moment. I love the dials on the top which enable changes as you shoot and as you see what is on the sensor, each change is instantly visible. As to whether it will last the test of time, well if it is a good camera now and does everything you want, then it will still do that in ten years time. Technology will of course have advanced, and for example future cameras may not use the same cards as now, or even store info the same way, most people would not use film now because we use digital info. But you can not plan for major changes and can only make decisions based on current equipment. It is a lovely camera and the RAW image with adjustments from programmes such as ON1 will give you superb images.

Pringles

I have moved from a Canon 1Ds mark III with a 28-300 white lens which is an awesome combination covering relatively wide angle to a good zoom without changing lenses. BUT it was very heavy so at the age of 75 I decided to change to the Fuji X-T2 and I havent regretted it for one moment. I love the dials on the top which enable changes as you shoot and as you see what is on the sensor, each change is instantly visible. As to whether it will last the test of time, well if it is a good camera now and does everything you want, then it will still do that in ten years time. Technology will of course have advanced, and for example future cameras may not use the same cards as now, or even store info the same way, most people would not use film now because we use digital info. But you can not plan for major changes and can only make decisions based on current equipment. It is a lovely camera and the RAW image with adjustments from programmes such as ON1 will give you superb images.

indeed I agree, love the feel of the camera and the dials. I like the locking button on the ISO and Shutter Speed dials. Pity there is no such button on the exposure adjustment dial. Love the feel of the lenses in auto or manual. It is a great system and the cameras are well made.

Edmond, you will not go wrong with an X-T2 and the 18-55 kit lens which the duo seems to be always on offer!

Where are you from,? it always helps to know this!

You will grow into the X-T2 and should last you for a long time!

Don't forget to get a spare battery.

Last but not least enjoy.

I'm working in New York. 

No problem with Fuji raw files.  Just get a decent converter.  If you are on Windows, Photo Ninja is excellent.  There are also a number of cross-platform FOSS options such as LightZone, RawTherapee, and darktable.

I am no fan of Adobe products, but LightRoom seems to work well for many folks.

Thanks. That's very comforting. I use a Mac by the way. 

Hello Edmond,

Don't buy an X-T2. It's an awesome camera, with tons of features, superb image quality and one of the best mirrorless around. But it's also very expansive, and lenses are too.

When you're 18 and you get to buy your first car, you don't buy the latest Porsche. You start small. Then eventually, you sell your first car when you're more comfortable and get a more recent/bigger/more powerful one. I believe that's the same with photography.

Right now, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Fujifilm all make great cameras. You can buy any entry level from these brands and you'll get fantastic image quality, lots of features and you'll be able to learn photography. The only difference between these brands might be:

- The size of the cameras: DSLR are bigger and heavier

- The price: mirrorless are sometimes more expansive than DSLR, depending on the type of camera

- The variety of lenses: Nikon, Canon are here since decades, and they have dozens of lenses available, and the second hand market is full of cheap great lenses. Mirrorless are much newer, so the possibilities are smaller.

- The design: Fujifilm has a retro look, very similar to film cameras. Handling is much different than the classic "M,A,S,P" modes of other brands.

Your first statement is actually not true: today, the cheapest way into photography remains DSLR cameras. They are produced on a bigger scale, and consequently are cheaper. The only reason why you might not want to buy one, could be the size and weight. DSLR remain bulky...

- Entry level Nikon + kit lens: $500 > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KITZKDE

- Entry level Canon + kit lens + zoom lens: $480 > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKWZ852/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bCf6T_c_x_1_w

- Entry level Fujifilm + kit lens: $600 > https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-A3-Mirrorless-XC16-50mm-Kit/dp/B01KNXATL8/ref=sr_1_4

- X-T2 and kit lens: $1800 > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3LNQ6M/ref=twister_B01I3YY3QG

Konzy

Hi Konzy - Thank you so much for your input. You must have spent hours on this reply!!!!  I do agree that you shouldn't spend too much on your first camera. The thing is, I only intend to buy ONE camera. I'm not a photographer and am not intending to, so I don't intend to step up the game all the time with new gear. Ideally, I want to buy something that can last me 5+ years. Do you think X-T2 can do that? Or is my expectation too high? 

As for DSLR, I like the view finder, but I probably won't buy it due to its bulkiness. Here is why.   I have a 15" Macbook Pro, which I bought in 2015. I like its large screen. It's good for internet browsing and watching movies. But there is one problem, I'm not enjoying using it. It's heavy. I don't even want to move it from my bedroom to living room. I don't like it sitting on my lap. I don't like carrying it over a weekend trip. I have a huge Bible as well, with a lot of footnotes, but I don't like using it, because it's so hard to flip the pages.  So I figured, maybe large is not necessarily better, if you don't even like to use it any more. 

I also saw people talking about X PRO 2. Which one do you recommend more? I heard X PRO 2 has a slower fps or something, does that make X PRO 2 a slower camera?  

Edited by pringles

I've been shooting for 50 years now, with umpteen different cameras of various types and formats (starting with a box brownie,).

Always figured I understood cameras, until the digital age. The last while, I've been using the X-T2, and have decided that maybe I'll never understand cameras ... but oh boy am I having fun with this thing.

yes way to go 

Pringles

Can a camera really last 10 years ? Do cameras get slower over time like a smartphone ?  They are both electronics. 

Edited by pringles

I sort of agree with you gaopa, but then not especially with the "steep learning curve". If you put until you are used to it, the lens in A, ISO on A, Shutter on A, and press the button, you get wonderful pictures from the X-T2. Now depending on what sort of images you like to take, you may be happy with just a 23mm lens. Great starting set-up! Then visit a shop and try say a 14mm or a 50mm or the 90mm...... I know money comes into it, but in this life if you want quality then it won't be low prices unless getting lucky and buying second hand or off the back of a lorry.

If you like zooms I hear nothing but good of the 18-55mm.......

The X-T2 is a cool camera. Looks great has wonderful controls and produces outstanding images even with just that 23mm lens.

I started out like I describe above, everything on automatic. I can give this camera and the small flash that comes with it to someone to take an image of a person/s, and get a good image. The 23mm F2 in my experience, the 50mm F2 and the 90mm all produce excellent people images. The 90mm is approaching the weight limit for me, so it is occasional use, But the 14/23/50 are all highly usable for people, street, landscape.

Thanks for your lens recommendations. I'll ease into new lenses over time. I'll probably stick to a kit lens for now. 

Can a camera really last 10 years ? Do cameras get slower over time like a smartphone ?  They are both electronics. 

Smafones appear to get slower mostly because software updates target more modern hardware and/or one installs too many extra applications. Both of these problems you'll not have in cameras.

Fujifilm has an annoying (not) habit of bringing out fairly regular updates to its products, so an X-T2 with the latest updates is really a new camera compared to the first versions!

Never been to NY but I suspect the photo opportunities are virtually endless!

I think you're right in getting a top camera from the first. With a point-and-shoot, or a cheap DSLR, you'll outgrow it in a month. You don't have to learn all about a T2 right away. Take photos on auto. Then one day you'll think a picture is too dark. You'll look in the book and find that if you set the dial on the right on C you can turn the wheel in front and lighten the photo while looking through the viewfinder. Learn as you need to know.

What is so good about a top camera is that you can make it do what you want it to. Lighten/darken, shoot Japanese gardens in miniature. Pop in and out of black and white. If you can imagine it, you can make the camera do it. And as you get to know the T2, you'll be able to do it all fast with dials and buttons -- all while the camera is at your eye. No digging through pages of menus.

With cheap cameras, there's nowhere to go in learning or achievement. I constantly hear, "My camera won't do that." You won't say that with a T2. It'll be, "I need to find out how to make my Fuji do that." That's the real way you learn about your camera.

Hi Konzy - Thank you so much for your input. You must have spent hours on this reply!!!!  I do agree that you shouldn't spend too much on your first camera. The thing is, I only intend to buy ONE camera. I'm not a photographer and am not intending to, so I don't intend to step up the game all the time with new gear. Ideally, I want to buy something that can last me 5+ years. Do you think X-T2 can do that? Or is my expectation too high? 

As for DSLR, I like the view finder, but I probably won't buy it due to its bulkiness. Here is why.   I have a 15" Macbook Pro, which I bought in 2015. I like its large screen. It's good for internet browsing and watching movies. But there is one problem, I'm not enjoying using it. It's heavy. I don't even want to move it from my bedroom to living room. I don't like it sitting on my lap. I don't like carrying it over a weekend trip. I have a huge Bible as well, with a lot of footnotes, but I don't like using it, because it's so hard to flip the pages.  So I figured, maybe large is not necessarily better, if you don't even like to use it any more. 

I also saw people talking about X PRO 2. Which one do you recommend more? I heard X PRO 2 has a slower fps or something, does that make X PRO 2 a slower camera?  

My pleasure! ;)

I'm pretty sure any Fuji camera can last 5+ years -- if you don't use it intensively like a professional photographer would, of course. But for an amateur usage, there is no issue. Some people still shoot on the X-Pro1, which was released in 2012 I think. Of course, Fuji marketing will try to persuade you that you need more megapixels, better autofocus and better ISO every time they sale a new camera!

X-Pro 2 and X-T2 are very similar in terms of functionalities. The main difference lies more in the "shooting experience". For instance, the X-T2 has a tilting screen, while the X-Pro 2 has a fixed screen, which is a great addition in some shooting conditions. You can also add a battery grip to the X-T2. The X-Pro2 has an hybrid viewfinder, while the X-T2 is only electronic.

I don't know about your budget, but these 2 cameras are just the best Fuji has to offer, and thus the most expansive (1600-1700 €). Do you really need the best and the latest cameras around?

If you don't need the best/latest cameras (which also happen to be the heaviest and most expansive ones), take a look at their little siblings - X-E3 (small X-Pro2) and X-T20 (small X-T2). They are also excellent cameras, offer 90% of what X-T2 and X-Pro2 offer (they share the same sensor, so the image quality should be the same). And they are lighter and cheaper (almost 2 times) than the X-Pro2/X-T2. Judging by the need you describe, it would be the way to go! One thing that they don't offer though, is the weather sealing. But if you don't use it under a heavy rain or in the middle of the desert, you should be fine!

I would personally choose the X-T20 to have the tilting screen: it's such a nice feature in a lot of situations! It's a small and light camera, very "flat", perfect for travel.

Don't even bother with the FPS either: X-T20 and X-T2 can both do 8 fps with a mechanical shutter (and much higher with the electronic shutter), which is A LOT! Top DSLR like Nikon D850 and Canon 5D Mark 4 can "only" achieve 7 fps, which is already impressive... I assume you don't really shoot sports or similar stuff, demanding a high FPS!

You can also go even cheaper with older models, which are great too. I still own a 2014 X-T1 and a second hand X100T, which both have a 16 Mpix sensor. They are awesome cameras and I'll keep them as long as I can. If budget is an issue, the X-T1, X-T10 and X-E2 are great cameras, and can be found easily on the second hand market. To give you an idea, the most expansive one, the X-T1, sells around 550-650€. A bargain!

Bottom line: forget the X-T2/X-Pro2, they are awesome cameras which I don't think you really need. Go for cheaper alternatives (X-T20, X-E3 new, or X-T10, X-E2 used), which are 90% as good. Keep your money to buy nice lenses, a nice trip somewhere, a photography training or books from great photographers! I think it's a much better investment, given your need :)

Check this article out, if you need side-by-side comparison. Their conclusion is very lucid: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-fujifilm/xt2-vs-xt20/#Conclusion 

Of course, that's just my humble opinion!

Konzy

Edited by konzy

Smafones appear to get slower mostly because software updates target more modern hardware and/or one installs too many extra applications. Both of these problems you'll not have in cameras.

Does mirrorless take much better pictures than the best camera on a cellphone ?  

Edited by pringles

Hi Pringles,

I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago.

I would take pictures with my cell phone or a Canon G9, but I always felt limited.

Limited, not so much with the quality of the photos with the cameras, but limited with my knowledge of how to take great pictures.

I wanted something fully manual which would allow me to make mistakes and force me to learn. 

For me, the Fuji fits that bill. All the dials are there, and I don't have to hunt on the screen and dive into a menu to change a setting.

I settled on the Fuji XT10, but a year later bought the XT2.

If you can afford the XT2, I say go for it.

The picture quality is fantastic, and the lens selection is vast.

Of all the lenses that I have, I find myself using the 23mm, (35mm equivalent) for almost all of my street, landscape and architectural photography.

The 23 is good for people, but may create an unflattering perspective of your subject when used close which is why the 56mm and 90mm are so good for portrait work.

I bought the 18-55 kit with the XT10 and I think I've used it once. I just wasn't as impressed with that lens compared to my primes.

Fuji is running a good sale now on all of their products. If you are in NY, it would definetely be to your advantage to check out B&H or Adorama.

Edited by mammothcar1