22 replies to this topic

#1 Woodworth

Woodworth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

I’ve been using Fuji since they introduced the X-E1. Over the years since I have had a number of Fuji bodies and lenses but have settled on an X-T2 and an X-E2s with various prime lenses. I have always found Fuji to be a great system to work with and have earned much of my income from their products.

The lineage of each model seemed logical and each new version made progressive improvements such as improved AF or resolution for example. You can tell that the X-E2s is progression from the original X-E1 with nicely thought out additions or upgrades. The X-T2 is such a nice camera and certainly a step up from the X-T1. So far, so good.

In my mind at least the line up worked something like X-A cameras for amateurs, casual shooters, etc. The X-T10/20 for the more trendy photographer, someone who liked innovation such as touch screens and blue tooth and the cute look of the camera. The X-E cameras for the expert photographer, the person who liked the rangefinder styling and the smaller size for travelling and discrete photography, a street photographers camera perhaps. the X-T range for the more demanding photographer, someone who wanted a more professional kind of camera in a DSLR style and the X-Pro for the same kind of photographer who preferred a rangefinder kind of camera. I’m probably wildly wrong here but at least it’s a stab at my understanding the lineage of the various Fuji offerings.

Then came the X-E3 and messed it all up for me. Here was a camera that looked like an X-E camera but seemed more at home in a X-T20s? In the lineage, instead of a progression, someone seems to have left the logical path and gone off track with this camera. In my mind at least, the X-E3 should have been an upgrade from the X-E2s. Perhaps a X-E2s with the X-T2 sensor and AF but with the XT-20 flippy screen and IBIS. I can see how introducing bluetooth connectivity with a tablet and touch screens would appeal to an X-T20 user perhaps but where is the camera for the X-E1, X-E2 and X-E2s user?

I’m trying desperately hard to find the good in the X-E3 and I will try one out but it simply does not appeal to me right now. I feel that Fuji have spoilt a good thing by letting someone introduce trendy features onto something that was historically more traditional. It would be a shame if Fuji lost their vision after all the success they have had to date.

• Curiojo and gaopa like this

Chris

#2 Warwick

Warwick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

Another way to see it is relating to the XPRO2 in the same way that the XT20 relates to the XT2. Which is to say, smaller and lighter with some high-tech features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 RSH-Photography

RSH-Photography

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:00 PM

Another way to see it is relating to the XPRO2 in the same way that the XT20 relates to the XT2. Which is to say, smaller and lighter with some high-tech features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly right.

• Warwick likes this

#4 Florian

Florian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

Without having the camera in hand, its hard to judge how well it works, but imo the fujifilm engineers did something which was much needed: prune away some buttons. Especially with the e3 being smaller and the joystick added, all those buttons are starting to clutter up the back of the camera. Viewed in that light, the touch screen is not a trendy feature, but a replacement to still be able to use the extra functionality those buttons enabled (essentially, moving the buttons into the screen). Just because it is `trendy', it doesn't mean that this solution is bad. ^_^

Edited by Florian, 16 September 2017 - 03:33 AM.

#5 Froschphoto

Froschphoto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWestern US

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:50 PM

Until a hands on, I'm not sure how I feel about the touch screen screen. But as to buttons, while it was nice to customize the X-E2's buttons, I do accidentally hit them a lot and unknowingly change setting that I really didn't want to have changed at that moment, so as Florian mention in a comment the removal of buttons looks like a plus to me. I'm in the X-E? world for the light and portable.

#6 mdm

mdm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

Providing that from October till April I'm shooting in the gloves, use built-in flash, shoot in manual mode and don't consider 6400 ISO's noise to be the worst thing in the world, I just see no reason to move from my X-E2 to E3.... and yes, I hope Fuji eliminate D-Pad in all their future cameras to give us all an equal rights.

• Curiojo likes this

#7 WaveDancer

WaveDancer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:59 AM

I stick for the time beeing with my X100T and FZ1000 until there is something out which is a real game-changer re. results. Sure 24MP is nice to have (large prints or crops) and also all the nice things like touchscreens etc. but it can wait. The hybrid systems (foto/video) will develop further fast and may be Fujifilm brings soon a monochrome camera with its great sensor and processor, this would be a blast! A X100Monochrom!! 

Edited by WaveDancer, 24 September 2017 - 05:00 AM.

#8 Vidalgo

Vidalgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationJerusalem, IL

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

But as to buttons, while it was nice to customize the X-E2's buttons, I do accidentally hit them a lot and unknowingly change setting that I really didn't want to have changed at that moment, so as Florian mention in a comment the removal of buttons looks like a plus to me.

Long press on MENU/OK button will lock D-Pad and some other buttons.
It's a standard feature from Fuji exactly to prevent of accidentally hitting.
Described in manual, somewhere in beginning.

• renes likes this

#9 BobJ

BobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:12 AM

Looks like a great camera, but a touch screen while taking winter landscape is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
  • Curiojo likes this

#10 Woodworth

Woodworth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Looks like a great camera, but a touch screen while taking winter landscape is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

That's my reaction too but I'm hoping that the other controls will allow you to bypass the touch screen altogether. 

Chris

#11 renes

renes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

Long press on MENU/OK button will lock D-Pad and some other buttons.
It's a standard feature from Fuji exactly to prevent of accidentally hitting.
Described in manual, somewhere in beginning.

Good point.

I remember when Fuji comunity asked Fujifilm to bring "1 more Fn button" for better camera control and faster access to features but now we live in times when Fuji users are very happy when 4 Fn buttons have been ditched. It's 'smartphone' guys era. Soon we will read "LCD is enought".   

Edited by renes, 04 October 2017 - 03:19 PM.

#12 mdm

mdm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

here is a link to mirrorlessrumors.com - http://www.mirrorles...ill-full-frame/

I quote it:"The design will be inspired by their long history of mirrorless film cameras. It will neither be fully retro nor fully modern"

If I read it correctly they'll present FF rangefinder body camera. Lets see how X-E3 will stand against it.

#13 renes

renes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

here is a link to mirrorlessrumors.com - http://www.mirrorles...ill-full-frame/

I quote it:"The design will be inspired by their long history of mirrorless film cameras. It will neither be fully retro nor fully modern"

If I read it correctly they'll present FF rangefinder body camera. Lets see how X-E3 will stand against it.

Woul love to see first FF RF style body with EVF. Maybe a digital incarnation of Nikon SP with nice changings? With native 64iso? Amen!  

BTW, native 200iso in Fuji cams in 2017/18 looks like a joke. Same regards to lack of tiltable LCD in X-E3 - it's 2018!    

Edited by renes, 04 October 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#14 Woodworth

Woodworth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

Woul love to see first FF RF style body with EVF. Maybe a digital incarnation of Nikon SP with nice changings? With native 64iso? Amen!  

BTW, native 200iso in Fuji cams in 2017/18 looks like a joke. Same regards to lack of tiltable LCD in X-E3 - it's 2018!    

Er, .... still 2017 in this part of the universe! But I agree with you about the lack of tiltable screen (and a bunch of other things) missing from the X-E3 also regarding the Nikon mirrorless, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

Edited by Woodworth, 04 October 2017 - 07:56 PM.

Chris

#15 renes

renes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

Er, .... still 2017 in this part of the universe! But I agree with you about the lack of tiltable screen (and a bunch of other things) missing from the X-E3 also regarding the Nikon mirrorless, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

I should added "almost" in 2018.

X-E3 with fixed LCD and tiny x0.62 EVF with a few buttons now look like dinosaur cam compared to competiton from Sony, Panasonic, Olympus.  

#16 rokphish

rokphish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Fuji has X-T20 and X-T2 to compete with the others. The E-series is more specialized/cater to more specific group of people.
  • bashar likes this

#17 renes

renes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

Fuji has X-T20 and X-T2 to compete with the others. The E-series is more specialized/cater to more specific group of people.

Right, that's why it does not look like X-E2 successor.

#18 bashar

bashar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

I am in love with the new xe-3. Don’t care about ibis or tilt , I had an xt-2 and sold it, xe-3 is about size, if you want tech buy the higher end models. The xe rangefinder style and size inspires me to take more pictures and grab my camera more, no LEICA had a flip screen.....
  • mallyph and palmyjon like this

#19 rokphish

rokphish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

I would've jumped on this if I hadn't just gotten the X-PRO 1.

#20 TheOverratedPhotographer

TheOverratedPhotographer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

I had the X-E2S (which I wasn't completely happy with) and the X100T which I loved and hated. As part of the Fuji cash back period I had some plans to get an X100F and an X-E3 (which I would swap for an X-T2 if I wasn't happy). I was unsure how the touch screen would go but I knew the joystick was critical.

Having used the X-E3 since it's release as I was lucky enough to get one of the first ones, I can honestly say I'm sold, and not only am I not bothering to get the X100F, I'm actually selling my X100T because I simply don't need it.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-E1, X-E2, X-E2s, X-E3

x

Registration is free

Not registered? Really?

Discover the full potential of the Fuji X Forum... register now!
Registration is free and done in a few minutes!

As registered member you can discuss, post your questions and present your images.
And get in contact with Fuji X photographers worldwide!

We are looking forward to you!

The Fuji X Forum Team

Register Close